Whats a good low range torque wrench?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eacmen View Post
    Schwaben is the house brand for ECS tuning/Pelican Parts/Turner Motorsport. Its all marketing. They go and slap their logo on someone else's product with minor tweaks and sell it. Mostly made in China or Taiwan.
    ^^^ This.

Comment

Current cdis are now branded WIlliams (sitll snap-on subsidiary) and have usa stamped on the head which is nice. I believe that portion was made in taiwan prior.

I have a proto click, might get a pi later and maybe a tech angle though not a huge snap-on fan (though I do like their new needle noses and slip joints sitting with my knipex).
      2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

My only issue with my CDI torque wrenches is the selector switch is looser than the preacher's daughter on prom night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I use following 1/4 drive low torque wrench

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	315
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	215289​

Comment

Waiting for this torque wrench to go on sale...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	312
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	215291​

Comment

I just ordered a Wera Click-Torque A5, I will let you all know what I think in a few days since it arrives later today.
              Last edited by oceansize; 04-26-2023, 06:32 AM.
              3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Weras are good just don't like the fact they're made in taiwan and not CR like most of their shit.
                2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post
                  My only issue with my CDI torque wrenches is the selector switch is looser than the preacher's daughter on prom night.

I never liked that about the older heads.

This is what the current, updated one looks like. Nice firm switch and USA stamp.

​Click image for larger version  Name:	70441463649__B03C2A30-E1EF-4A2E-9924-ABC45AEF4705.jpg Views:	0 Size:	159.2 KB ID:	215625​

Comment

snap-on digital techangle torque wrenches are the standard for bmw technicians. if your SERIOUS about wrenching, make the wise investment.

Comment

CDI and Precision Instruments. I have 3 CDI, and one Precision Instruments. Use all of them.

To answer your question, I have two for low torque range, a CDI that I use for m6, and very low torque (6-8lbs) on M8, and a Precision that I use for standard (around 18lbs) torque for M8. Early air cooled 911 valve covers warp easy, and critical not to over torque the M8 past 8lbs, and the CDI has been perfect for this.

I also have one more that I only use with 3/4 250-300lbs. Can’t remember the brand.
                      Last edited by Flat-Six; 04-30-2023, 05:30 AM.

Comment

For those who have purchased a SO Techangle on eBay, any key things to watch out for?? Seems that, on cursory glance, some are offered as brand new at a significantly lower price than SO offers them, so wondering if something is going on there. Of course, actually used is OK, many have valid calibrations, and so on.

Comment

I mighty get flammed for recommending this but the Icon Digital Torque Wrench is a good tool. It doesn't do the low end toque setting from the original post though.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-...+torque+wrench

This guy puts the torque wrench through a comparison test.

I didn't expect these results at all, but that's why I tested them before and after 1000 cycles each.Video going over the setting and menu of the icon in de...

Last edited by M3_HTX; 09-27-2023, 10:34 AM.

Comment

I've gotta say sheerly brilliant marketing on behalf of hf for democratizing junk tools and then pulling the ol' bait and switch with their "premium" line.

They've somehow managed to hoodwink their following into paying much higher prices for Taiwanese-made tools which have had cheaper available analogues in the marketplace for quite some time.

And that is why the dude lives in Bel Air.

Comment

Precision Instruments. I slowly replaced my Torque tools to Precision Instruments and CDI as needed. A torque wrench is something you may want to invest a little more on the front end, but that is a personal opinion.

As an aside, Snap-On rebrands PI and CDI tools under the Snap-On brand for a heavy premium. I don't want to get into the tool source battle at all, but it is something to consider when looking at the precision and life-expectancy of the tool.

Also, depending on how low the torque values you need, I would check out Wera. They have gotten a little high on themselves so their torque wrenches may be a little expensive now. PI and CDI should cover all the automotive values needed.

Last edited by Fresh1179; 09-27-2023, 06:56 AM.
                              2006 ///M3 6MT Coupe Jet Black Track Car
                              [Karbonius] [MCS 2WNR] [Zionsville] [ [SPAL] [Ground Control] [Beisan] [Rogue Engineering] [Vorshlag] [Redish] [CMP] [Bimmerworld] [Kassel] [TTFS] [Apex] [TMS Sways] [Buildjournal] [Radium] [Ultimate Pedals] [OMP Seats/Harnesses] [UUC SSK] [Custom Cage] [Supersprint] [Carbontastic] [MEC CSL Diffuser] [Trackspec] [Street Faction] [Condor] [Hard Motorsports] [AiM] [Maintenance] [Ask me about products and exact weight of front end components]

Comment

KC Tool has the Wera A5 1/4" torque wrench on sale today only for $150. Range is 2.5 to 25 N-m.
                                I use it more on my bicycle than my car, but it's nice to have one.

KC Tool's Tool of the Day™! A new tool every day at unbeatable prices. Check out what we've got for you today. America's #1 German Tool Distributor. Free Shipping to 48 states over $75.

Comment

Working...
                                X