Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wireless CarPlay and AA on stock MKIV nav screen, including touch screen support!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless CarPlay and AA on stock MKIV nav screen, including touch screen support!

Can't believe I didn't see this until now! Retrains all original functionality, adds THE critical missing thing (at least, for me).

Carphonics is a great company that has been solidly supporting the BMW (including e46/e39) community for years. I've been running their upgraded BM53 for probably a decade, with no issues.

Looks like they have two ways it can be controlled-- either with a iDrive looking controller thing, or with a retrofitted touch screen!

Video, of the controller interface:
    https://www.instagram.com/reel/CmQ9N...YmMyMTA2M2Y%3D

Video, of the touch screen interface:

Pics:

Click image for larger version  Name:	e46carplay.jpg Views:	0 Size:	42.4 KB ID:	211968

Click image for larger version  Name:	e46carplay1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	39.5 KB ID:	211969

Click image for larger version  Name:	conroller2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	45.9 KB ID:	211970

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

I saw that a few weeks ago. About 12 years late for me, and leaves you stuck with the 20 year old head unit with no sound shaping or subwoofer control, but yeah that would have been a workable alternative (upgrade even) to pixelated screens back in the day, and I suppose now as well.

maw

Comment

Originally posted by maw1124 View Post
      I saw that a few weeks ago. About 12 years late for me, and leaves you stuck with the 20 year old head unit with no sound shaping or subwoofer control, but yeah that would have been a workable alternative (upgrade even) to pixelated screens back in the day, and I suppose now as well.

maw
      ​Being "stuck" with the stock heat unit is exactly why this is so desirable! With aftermarket, you have to choose between either glaringly, hideously aftermarket with good functionality (any of the double din units), or stock looking but a bit half assed (dynavin, avin, etc).

That said, if you really do care about sound shaping and subwoofer controls, you actually can do it on the stock unit with the intravee/breakout box/alpine sound processor. I had that setup in my M3 back in the day. It could be combined with this carplay unit.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0155.jpg Views:	0 Size:	88.4 KB ID:	211978

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0150.jpg Views:	3 Size:	122.3 KB ID:	211977

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

May need to pick this up for my E39.

Current:

1997 BMW M3 - Boston Green/Modena
        2003 BMW M3 · Coupe · 6MT - Alpine White/M-Texture Alcantara

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
          That said, if you really do care about sound shaping and subwoofer controls, you actually can do it with the intravee/breakout box/alpine sound processor. I had that setup in my M3 back in the day. It could be combined with this carplay unit.
          Interesting... didn't know that back in 2011. Looks like a good / great alternative for those who still have factory head units. I think I just tossed mine last month while cleaning out old spare parts.

My view is consumer electronics get lapped every 5-10 years, so "stuck" with a 20 year old head unit is exactly what it is, just like being stuck with a 20 year old computer on your desk. Might be cool in some sense but works nowhere near as well as new stuff, because innovation.

Thanks,

maw
          Last edited by maw1124; 03-30-2023, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BMWahba View Post
            May need to pick this up for my E39.
            Same .. need to figure out what’s involved with the touch screen retrofit. First time I saw this it was only available with the iDrive controller which killed it for me. The instagram demo looks great but I don’t see any info on the product link about it still.

Comment

Also thinking this is going in my e39.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
              2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post

Same .. need to figure out what’s involved with the touch screen retrofit. First time I saw this it was only available with the iDrive controller which killed it for me. The instagram demo looks great but I don’t see any info on the product link about it still.
                I don't quite understand it either, how do I retrofit touchscreen to my current unit without changing the screen? Their website needs some work. I should reach out and offer to do a proper video for them.

Current:

1997 BMW M3 - Boston Green/Modena
                2003 BMW M3 · Coupe · 6MT - Alpine White/M-Texture Alcantara

Comment

I’ve just finished with the installation and setup of an Avin 4, it’s been a nightmare. If I had only known about the Carphonics option I would have gone that route. If/when this Avin starts to cause problems I will contact the people at Carphonics and make the switch. As always, hindsight is always 20/20.

Comment

Originally posted by BMWahba View Post

I don't quite understand it either, how do I retrofit touchscreen to my current unit without changing the screen? Their website needs some work. I should reach out and offer to do a proper video for them.
                    I would guess you mail them your MKIV, and they swap out the display for one with touch screen support.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                    2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Thank you everyone for the kind words. This new product has excited me for my car system as well.
                      I have tried a few different android headunits in my car in the past and they were either too slow, and too slow to boot up once the ignition is turned on. I was never a fan of the branded systems, as they never looked right in the car.
                      With this product, I’ve designed it so it comes on as soon as you unlock the car or open the door. So by the time you get in and turn the ignition on, it would have paired with your phone and you’re ready to go.

I believe in the USA, most cars didn’t come with a TV tuner. The carplay / android auto is installed into the tv tuner. You have an option of either replacing the navigation unit with the tv tuner, or buying a tv tuner retrofit loom from bmw or eBay.
                      If you replace the navigation unit, then your original system will use the tv tuner graphics. But once clicked onto carplay/android auto, it doesn’t matter so much. This is how I have my car setup now. (Lightweight track car!)

A see a few questions about the touchscreen. I would need to modify the monitor for this to work, and then a cable is fed from the monitor to the tv tuner in the boot.
                      If you have a cd player or are using tape, those functions still work.

To change the television wording to Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, it’s done via the mk4 navigation unit, using a modified firmware disc. Cannot do it with just the TV tuner option.

Any other questions anyone has, I’m happy to answer.

Comment

Is this using the composite rear camera input on the TV tuner (I think) or is it using RGsB?

Comment

Originally posted by Shonky View Post
                          Is this using the composite rear camera input on the TV tuner (I think) or is it using RGsB?
                          It uses the composite input. If you have rear camera on your car, I would need to add relays inside the tv tuner, to replace the ones you have in your car.

Comment

Originally posted by Baris - Carphonics View Post
                            It uses the composite input. If you have rear camera on your car, I would need to add relays inside the tv tuner, to replace the ones you have in your car.
                            I'm trying to get an idea of the image quality. Not worried about the reverse camera. I've previously had a car pc using the composite input so I know it has limits especially on the ~400x234 LCD.

Do you have any close up shots showing the image quality?

Comment

Originally posted by Shonky View Post
                              I'm trying to get an idea of the image quality. Not worried about the reverse camera. I've previously had a car pc using the composite input so I know it has limits especially on the ~400x234 LCD.

Do you have any close up shots showing the image quality?
                              Here are some photos I took in high resolution.

Comment

Working...
                              X