Oil cooler O-Ring extremely tight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil cooler O-Ring extremely tight

Apparently, the OE ones are NLA. Instead, I bought these from FCP.

They don't want to seat even when using some high-quality O-Ring lube. Is anyone else having this issue?

They're supposed to be 1.74mm thick, but these replacements are 1.88+mm and the difference is showing. Even when using the bolt to draw it in, which makes me cringe, it just doesn't want to go.

Perhaps I should just go to the dealer and see if they're the same?

These 17222245358? I highly doubt they are NLA, I feel like I just ordered some the other day, but FCP just may not sell them.​

They supersede to this number # 17228604345 which FCP has in stock

'00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
    Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
    Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Originally posted by George Hill View Post
      These 17222245358? I highly doubt they are NLA, I feel like I just ordered some the other day, but FCP just may not sell them.​

They supersede to this number # 17228604345 which FCP has in stock

This is helpful. Thank you.

I ordered part number 17222245358, which FCP sells, as well. They are too thick, but I find that odd given Realoem calls out that part number specifically for the E46 M3.

The 17228604345 part appears to supersede both the 17222245358​ and the 17220154348 original part number.

I'll give the 345 ending part number a try. They all appear to call out the same dimensions, so maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Thanks again!​

Comment

17222245358​ CRP brand? I run those a lot, no issues. Could be install error. Are the old o-rings still in the ports? Seen it before...
        '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT

Comment

17222245358​ CRP brand? I run those a lot, no issues. Could be install error. Are the old o-rings still in the ports? Seen it before...
          yeah, those exact CRP ones. I removed the old ones to examine and compare them. The new ones are much thicker, but I know old compressed ones are naturally going to be thinner so I’ve been giving it a go. I’ve tried putting them in the cooler and the OFH first or on the lines first and with and without lubricant. The amount of pressure I’m putting on them seems way above normal and still not seating.

the CRP ones came in a hand-marked bag from FCP. I’m beginning to suspect they simply picked and sent the wrong ones. I’ve had that happen before with o-rings.

I’ll re-order and see what comes of it.

Comment

Originally posted by tlow98 View Post
            I removed the old ones to examine and compare them. The new ones are much thicker, but I know old compressed ones are naturally going to be thinner so I’ve been giving it a go.

I’ve tried putting them in the cooler and the OFH first or on the lines first and with and without lubricant.

the CRP ones came in a hand-marked bag from FCP. I’m beginning to suspect they simply picked and sent the wrong ones. I’ve had that happen before with o-rings.
            Can you post a pic?

Put them on the lines first, not in the ports.

Very possible, the CRPs do come in an unmarked bag as my experience.

Comment

I installed the CRP ones with lube (engine oil) put onto the lines (male end) first no issues both at the filter housing and the cooler.

I agree, they might hhave put the wrong ones in the baggie. When I compared the new vs. old, there wasn't much difference other than some compression. Aren't they a grey color? Got a pic of the new ones you received?
              DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
              /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
              More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Can you post a pic?

Put them on the lines first, not in the ports.

Very possible, the CRPs do come in an unmarked bag as my experience.
                not sure this pic does it justice, but here they are.

Click image for larger version

Name:	848FAA21-B78F-4CDB-9E5A-D9D048D27635.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	214446
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                  I installed the CRP ones with lube (engine oil) put onto the lines (male end) first no issues both at the filter housing and the cooler.

I agree, they might hhave put the wrong ones in the baggie. When I compared the new vs. old, there wasn't much difference other than some compression. Aren't they a grey color? Got a pic of the new ones you received?
                  Did you have to use the bolt to draw them in or did they just go in by hand pressing them?

yes, grey, see above pic

Comment

Originally posted by tlow98 View Post

Did you have to use the bolt to draw them in or did they just go in by hand pressing them?

yes, grey, see above pic
                    They will go in by hand.

Hard to say for sure in the pic, but if you have time to wait probably ordering another set is a good first step.

Comment

They popped in nicely by hand.

I think the originals just look darker from heat/staining maybe.

Comment

I looked and had some CRPs in stock, used BMW vs new CRP. Maybe its your technique, IDK hard to say without being there after the info we have now.

Attached Files

Comment

Huh, weird.

I'll give it another go. Likely, It's just installer error, bc those look the same as what I'm working with.

Thanks for the sanity check my dudes!

Comment

I really cleaned the inside of the filter housing's ports (female). Made sure I rolled the new o-rings (lubed) on smoothly, no twisting. The new lines made a nice pop into place, then drew smoothly when tightening.

Comment

Alright, update. They fit, but for whatever reason mine are just very tight. I seated them by hand and then let them sit with some bolt pressure. Then slowly tightened them up after they sat for a few minutes. This did the trick.

Thank George Hill & Tbonem3 for the help.

Comment

Working...
                              X