Suggestions for Dual-Purposed Coilovers for Tracking and Spirited Driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 9kracing View Post
    Has anyone tried the Mfactory coilovers?

He mentions they are "flat ride" for you guys that care about that. For $1500 they seem like a great option. Swift springs and custom spring rates.
    Interesting, someone should try them out for the forums LOL

Comment

I like my pss10s with vorshlag plates. But hate Bilstein customer service.

Comment

Originally posted by simonnim View Post
        I like my pss10s with vorshlag plates. But hate Bilstein customer service.
        PSS were my first coilovers with the Vorshlag plates on my 330ci. For what they were I had no complaints. I just needed something more track focused.

Funny…I have the same Vorshlag plates from 2008. I got a new perch when I switched to TC Klines. Then also put them on the M3. I’m going to replace the bolt plate as preventive maintenance. The Vorshlag
        plates have been flawless!

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
          Funny…I have the same Vorshlag plates from 2008. I got a new perch when I switched to TC Klines. Then also put them on the M3. I’m going to replace the bolt plate as preventive maintenance. The Vorshlag
          Never had to replace a bearing on those Vorshlags?
          2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
          Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
          Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Comment

Originally posted by IamFODI View Post
            Never had to replace a bearing on those Vorshlags?
            Not yet. Still silent. About 50k miles, 50/50 street and track

Comment

Not yet. Still silent. About 50k miles, 50/50 street and track
              Nice. Good to know.

I'm still on "TMS" (really ECS) Hybrids. Love the idea of them but not the longevity I got. I'd have thought that, being sealed, the Hybrids' bearings would be the longest-lived. But Vorshlags seem basically immortal, so maybe their approach of just using a massively oversized bearing is the better approach.

I have a spare set of Hybrids I had intended to rebuild for when my current ones fail. Maybe I'll just go Vorshlag instead...
              2008 M3 Sedan 6MT

2012 Mazda5 6MT

Comment

Same here. I've been through three different struts, but the same Vorshlag plates (and bearing) for about 15 years. And I'm not gentle with them.
                Last edited by elbert; 02-02-2024, 07:21 AM.

Comment

I too have Vorshlags and they've been flawless. That being said, I have a set of TC Kline DA I plan to rebuild. Should I reuse the TC Kline camber plates that came with them or use the Vorshlags?
                  Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Originally posted by EthanolTurbo View Post
                    I too have Vorshlags and they've been flawless. That being said, I have a set of TC Kline DA I plan to rebuild. Should I reuse the TC Kline camber plates that came with them or use the Vorshlags?
                    I think the TCK plate used a similar large spherical bearing. That’s the key feature of the Vorshlags.

Most camber plates have a sealed roller ball bearing,
                    same as the OE mount. Those bearings still get contaminated and that’s when you start getting noise.

Comment

I think the TCK plate used a similar large spherical bearing. That’s the key feature of the Vorshlags.

same as the OE mount. Those bearings still get contaminated and that’s when you start getting noise.
                      Ah ok cool, that makes sense. I guess I'll just sell my Vorshlags and put it toward the rebuild cost. They've been flawless for the last 4 years so I'm kind of reluctant.
                      Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Did you all notice any increase or benefit in steering feel with spherical bearing camber plates over stock or street style plates? EthanolTurbo elbert

I'm going to be piecing together a TCK DA set when they're back in stock and need to pick some plates.

Comment

It was my understanding that the aftermarket plates using a spherical bearing is an inferior design because it's putting all that load through a bearing axially which it's not really designed for. The plates using a separate OE style thrust bearing and only putting damping forces through the spherical would be ideal, such as the TMS hybrid or street. Maybe some brands get away with it just by using a massively over rated bearing which can handle the load.

Originally posted by bavarian3 View Post
                          Did you all notice any increase or benefit in steering feel with spherical bearing camber plates over stock or street style plates? EthanolTurbo elbert

I'm going to be piecing together a TCK DA set when they're back in stock and need to pick some plates.
                          I noticed a slight improvement in road feel, steering precision. But not that much. I am still running stock plates since I run stock camber.

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post
                            It was my understanding that the aftermarket plates using a spherical bearing is an inferior design because it's putting all that load through a bearing axially which it's not really designed for. The plates using a separate OE style thrust bearing and only putting damping forces through the spherical would be ideal, such as the TMS hybrid or street. Maybe some brands get away with it just by using a massively over rated bearing which can handle the load.
                            TMS Hybrid and GC camber plates use OE style thrust bearings as you said. On the E9x at least, TMS Hybrids use the actual OE thrust bearing. So, the damper is still located by a spherical bearing up top, but the real loads go through the thrust bearing. Still not ideal because of the direction of load on the spherical, as you pointed out. But at least the spherical doesn't take a lot of load.

On Vorshlags, everything goes through the spherical bearing. And yes, their sphericals are accordingly huge.

Ostensibly, everyone's doing the same kinds of calculations to make sure everything can handle the relevant loads. I guess Vorshlag just does them better...
                            2008 M3 Sedan 6MT

2012 Mazda5 6MT

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post

That could be correct but...

The Vorshlags for whatever reason last way longer. I've been through 2 sets of strut mounts on my E90 since buying the Vorshlags. My car routinely sees 1.3-1.4g in corners, peak is about 1.7g on grippy tracks like COTA so I guess the bearing is so massive I can take the load.

I recommend using the OE reinforcement plate because the plate is smaller than the OE strut mount. So the loads are transmitted to a smaller and likely weaker area.

Comment

Originally posted by EthanolTurbo View Post

Ah ok cool, that makes sense. I guess I'll just sell my Vorshlags and put it toward the rebuild cost. They've been flawless for the last 4 years so I'm kind of reluctant.
                                I had TCKR plates that were getting noisy (I think the bearing was gong bad), so I replaced them with the Vorshlag.
                                My memory is hazy but I think the Vorshlags *appeared* to be more substantial.

I'd keep the Vorshlags and sell the TCK.

Comment

Working...
                                X