Topside Oil changes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Topside Oil changes?

I recently picked up a fluid extractor for doing topside oil changes on my other car. Figured it would also come in handy for diffs and other fluid tanks I might need to empty out.

I was wondering if it would be usable on the S54 as well? I know topside changes are not really a possibility on some engines, while others it works fine, depending on the design of the oilpan/dipstick location.

Thanks.

They generally work fairly well. Just use it and then pull the sump plug and see how much is still left.

Comment

Works great. I did an experiment once where I used the mityvac then pulled the plug and maybe a couple oz came out. Unless you suspect there is debris in the oil not worth the hassle to pull the plug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

To each their own, but after 21 years of ownership, I changed my own oil for the first time a month ago. Yep. First time. Got a pair of Rhino ramps and did the deed. As easy as it was, (why oh why didn't I do this ages ago....) I can't see doing it from the top, albeit probably okay for most folks. Personally, I'd rather drain it down than suck it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo's M
          To each their own, but after 21 years of ownership, I changed my own oil for the first time a month ago. Yep. First time. Got a pair of Rhino ramps and did the deed. As easy as it was, (why oh why didn't I do this ages ago....) I can't see doing it from the top, albeit probably okay for most folks. Personally, I'd rather drain it down than suck up.
          I devised my own tool that can evacuate the fluid using vacuum directly into those giant castrol 5gal jugs. I can put those in the back of the truck without them spilling on the way to recyling center. The whole process is much quicker and cleaner and there is no risk of stripping the oil pan (or in my case discovering it was already stripped)

Comment

Works well for me, just make sure the oil is hot or it'll either take forever to suck or not even start extracting. My oil pan is stripped, I stuck a longer bolt and torqued it up - will not touch it

Comment

I used one in my 04 330. Not a single drop would come out of the drain plug. Just gotta keep sucking once you hear the gurgling noises (that’s what she said).

Comment

Originally posted by timmo View Post
                Works well for me, just make sure the oil is hot or it'll either take forever to suck or not even start extracting. My oil pan is stripped, I stuck a longer bolt and torqued it up - will not touch it
                Off topic, but if that plug ever needs to come out, I have a timesert kit collecting dust in my garage. We can fix up your oil pan in a few hours.
                2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Off topic, but if that plug ever needs to come out, I have a timesert kit collecting dust in my garage. We can fix up your oil pan in a few hours.
                  Oooou. Will keep that in mind, but yeah I'm content just using the extractor haha

Comment

This is good news. While I don't think it saves time it is so much easier and convenient and cleaner as well.

Ill give it a go on the M3 when It gets closer to bringing it out for the spring.

Comment

every single change since I bought one of the extractors...its awesome.

Comment

What extractor are y’all using, and how do y’all go about collecting a sample for a Blackstone oil analysis? I’ve been looking at buying the Mityvac 1.9 gal extractor (MV7400) or Schwaben 6.5L extractor.
                        Silver Track to Street Car Journal
                        Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

Originally posted by SQ13 View Post
                          What extractor are y’all using, and how do y’all go about collecting a sample for a Blackstone oil analysis? I’ve been looking at buying the Mityvac 1.9 gal extractor (MV7400) or Schwaben 6.5L extractor.
                          Get the largest extractor that you can find if you plan on using it on other cars. I have the Mityvac 2.3 gal, which I also use on my X5 that takes 8.5 quarts.

I use the Blackstone Labs' quick draw vaccum pump to collect samples => https://www.blackstone-labs.com/products/vacuum-pump/

Comment

Originally posted by timmo View Post
                            I just put new Motul in mine a couple weeks ago before spring start-up so it was cold as could be. I bet it took an hour to get it all out using the schwaben. But that was fine because I was doing other stuff around the house while it was at work. I hate putting cars up on stands, so it's totally worth it to me.

Only downside is I haven't figured out how to use it for my newer cars (F30 340, F15 N55).

Comment

Many newer cars dont have dipsticks so you're SOL there.

Comment

Working...
                              X