Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asking for opinions/help - need FCAB install tool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asking for opinions/help - need FCAB install tool?

Installing new OE FCAB, doing these off the car. FCP Euro video says to use the CTA control arm bushing kit, which I do not have and prefer not to buy to use for 20 min. Any thoughts on:

- Has anyone seen these for rent anywhere?
    - Is there a work around with common tools that won’t damage my new control arms?
    - Anyone have a kit they would be willing to send me (I would obviously pay for shipping)?

Thanks.
    ‘04 M3

I made the tool once using threaded rod and some pipe. Used that once. Bought the tool the next time 😅. Since owning the tool I've used it twice, so I'm glad I own it.

If that hasn't convinced you to buy one, PM me, we can work something out.

Comment

I just lubed them with some dish soap and tapped them on with a rubber mallet. Easy.
      3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

I do mine with a cup that fits on the back, a ratchet strap, a hammer and some lubricant, works fine.
        E46 ///M3 • 12/2002 • phönix-gelb • 6MT
        E39 ///M5 • 12/1998 • avus-blau • 6MT
        E60 ///M5 • 11/2006 • saphir-schwarz • 6MT

Comment

Originally posted by Maxhouse97 View Post
          Installing new OE FCAB, doing these off the car. FCP Euro video says to use the CTA control arm bushing kit, which I do not have and prefer not to buy to use for 20 min. Any thoughts on:

- Has anyone seen these for rent anywhere?
          - Is there a work around with common tools that won’t damage my new control arms?
          - Anyone have a kit they would be willing to send me (I would obviously pay for shipping)?

Thanks.
          apparently you can get them on with a big C clamp or ratcheting clamp. I tried the hand method with soapy water and came up 1-2 mm short. And believe me, that last 1-2 mm will prevent you from lining up the lolipop with the chassis which I learned the hard way. I suggest you press them in the new control arms before you take everything apart. Also get a beefy 4 lb hammer for the tie rod ends. those fuckers do NOT want to come off easily. and a pickle fork
          2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
          2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
          2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

The crude way to do it is with a big socket and hammer. Place the arm upright on a plank of wood or something and pound it on.

Comment

Thanks - chewing over the options here.
              ‘04 M3

Comment

As another has mentioned, dish soap will be your best friend. I personally used Dawn Platinum for 4x the power over the next leading brand* for a nice clean install

Comment

Yep lube her up. No tools needed

Comment

No tools needed, just soap it and it slides right on with a tap

Comment

I tried the soap method. Either I need to hit the gym or the control arm was too big. Struggled with soap for hours. Got the tool and job was done in 20 min.

I've since used the tool for about a dozen other tasks and loaned it out locally. Its pricey but has been worth it. If you're in the Maryland area hit me up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You guys must be better than me, after the dozens and dozens that I have done I have very very infrequently been able to hammer M3 bushings on even when lubed. I usually use two ratchet straps and cups and that works but just takes some time. Awhile back I finally bit the bullet and bought the tool from ECS/BavAuto and it works great:

And if you don't want to buy that one, here's one that I've been looking at for awhile. Obviously I don't need two, but I might buy it anyways as it does look like the factory tool and I have an affliction for factory tools. If its still there in a week or two I probably will get it. LOL
                        Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

*Make sure whatever you use to lube it up dries without any residue, do not use grease or anything like that, I use glass cleaner.

Note: Non-M, 100% lube it up and hit with a hammer, bingo bango.

'00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
                        Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
                        Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Dawn and some elbow grease worked for me 😉. Just did them this past weekend. The RTABs were a very different story...

Comment

Working...
                          X