Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendations for ‘05 Xenon headlight upgrades?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendations for ‘05 Xenon headlight upgrades?

I’m interested in increasing the performance of my stock Xenon headlights.
    I’m the 6th owner of this car, have had it for 4 years, and intend to drive it for the next decade or so.
    Some of the headlight aiming adjustment hardware is broken, so I’m open to replacing some of the headlight innards as part of this upgrade.

I do a lot of my driving in the predawn darkness, so would enjoy some more throw, as well as a bit more spill for seeing deer approaching along the back roads.
    I’m open to different technology (i.e. replacing the Xenon lows and Halogen high beams with LEDs, (or just the high beams with something else) if that gives better performance. But I’d like to avoid throwing CANBUS codes.

I’d prefer to keep the upgrade to a couple hundred dollars, but am open to spending a bit more if the quality is there.

Please share what you’ve had success with, and what you’d recommend.

Upgrading to either G5-R or Morimoto projectors with good Osram bulbs is a pretty massive upgrade in intensity / throw while looking completely stock.

You'll need the projectors and specific adapter brackets for a direct fit with the stock housing which will run ~$200-250 total, plus bulbs which will run ~$100-150 depending on what you choose.

The installation into the housing is DIY'able but finicky, so paying Lightwerkz to do it it's a pretty good option if you're not comfortable with it, I'm sure others can chime in with their experience. From what I've heard they're very helpful in determining the upgrade for your needs so you could always reach out to them as well.

I referred to this guide when I DIY'd the installation.
    Last edited by dukeofchen; 05-11-2023, 04:15 PM.
    '04 LSB Coupe 6MT
    All my money goes towards maintenance.

Comment

100% send it to Lightwerkz for the retrofit upgrade. You're living in the dark ages with stock xenon lights.

Global supplier of high-quality automotive lighting upgrades. Shop the largest selection of the best brands in automotive lighting today!

Comment

I'd go with RX350 projectors and adapters from Lightwerkz. I have a set in the garage waiting for all my other projects to finish up. RX350s are just about the best you can get IMO. Add some D2S CBBs from Osram and you will be pleasantly surprised. Ignore the 7000 K on the CBB box - they match my Morimoto Mini HBs perfectly (5500K LEDs) in my Tundra. Not sure anyone at TheRetrofitSource or Caesar @ Lightwerkz know why they advertise "up to 7000 K".
        The retrofit is not hard - our headlights come apart easily and you can reuse the OE ballasts and ignitors. The issue you may run into is brittle old plastics that break. You need to be careful on what you pry[pull on.

Mike
        02 M3 Titanium Silver/Black
        11 Tundra SuperWhite/Black
        16 X5

Comment

Lightwerkz convinced me to DIY bc Caesar has seen the work I’ve done to my car and felt that I was competent enough to DIY. 2/10, would not recommend. Just pay the pros to do the retrofit.
          Silver Track to Street Car Journal
          Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

First of all you lost me at $200.

Secondly, I don't ever recall having driven my bi-xenon car and thinking I needed a light upgrade. I used to light up freeway signs on the side of the road a mile away.
            2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

+1 for Ceasar at Lightwerkz. He upgraded my projectors with Bosch mini bi-xenon projectors and Osram CBB bulbs. The output is absolutely insane!

Comment

Originally posted by GyroF-16 View Post
                I’m interested in increasing the performance of my stock Xenon headlights.
                I’m the 6th owner of this car, have had it for 4 years, and intend to drive it for the next decade or so.
                Some of the headlight aiming adjustment hardware is broken, so I’m open to replacing some of the headlight innards as part of this upgrade.

I do a lot of my driving in the predawn darkness, so would enjoy some more throw, as well as a bit more spill for seeing deer approaching along the back roads.
                I’m open to different technology (i.e. replacing the Xenon lows and Halogen high beams with LEDs, (or just the high beams with something else) if that gives better performance. But I’d like to avoid throwing CANBUS codes.

I’d prefer to keep the upgrade to a couple hundred dollars, but am open to spending a bit more if the quality is there.

Please share what you’ve had success with, and what you’d recommend.
                Fix whatever is broken and get these bulbs:

The King: It wasn't long ago that the XV2 from Philips was the brightest bulb on the market. No More! Osram's all-new Night Breaker Laser has taken the rank and recently tested to be the BRIGHTEST HID bulb currently on the market. "Laser": What makes them so amazing? The old Osram XNB (standard Night Breaker) was toute

I imagine he'll have a Memorial Day sale.

Then make sure the lights are aimed correctly.

If you still have some money left over, make sure the headlight lenses are clean and clear.
                2003 Imola Red M3 w/ SMG

Comment

So those Morimoto LED d2s lamps are no good, the Oem Sylvania HID are better?

Comment

Originally posted by Drewrivera View Post
                    As far as I know, that is correct.

Well, I'm not sure that the Morimoto LEDs are no good, but I believe the Sylvania HID is better. I'm sure there are plenty of comparisons on Youtube.
                    2003 Imola Red M3 w/ SMG

Comment

Originally posted by Drewrivera View Post
                      Are you looking to match the OE bulb color (4300K - slightly yellow) or do you want the “white” light (aka 5500ish K)? There are many opinions on which is better and why. Typically 4300K is the best in inclement weather.

No matter which one you want, Osram is the way to go.
                      Mike

02 M3 Titanium Silver/Black
                      11 Tundra SuperWhite/Black
                      16 X5

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
                        First of all you lost me at $200.

Secondly, I don't ever recall having driven my bi-xenon car and thinking I needed a light upgrade. I used to light up freeway signs on the side of the road a mile away.
                        You might already be upgraded.

Updated my projectors to mini d2s 5.0 and forgot how good they were until I started driving it again. Massive difference, top mod.

Comment

Originally posted by Icecream View Post

You might already be upgraded.

Updated my projectors to mini d2s 5.0 and forgot how good they were until I started driving it again. Massive difference, top mod.
                          Did I upgrade them in my sleep? 🤷‍♂️
                          2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post

Did I upgrade them in my sleep? 🤷‍♂️
                            Are you the original owner?

Comment

Originally posted by Icecream View Post

Are you the original owner?
                              yes

Comment

Working...
                              X