Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cylinder leakdown higher after engine rebuild?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cylinder leakdown higher after engine rebuild?

Hey all,

some of you may remember my post regarding my oil light coming on after reaching operating temp, however when I would check the oil level after shutdown, it was only slightly below the max mark once all oil drained back to the pan. During my investigations, I saw a noticeable amount of metallic material in the oil filter housing, so I thought maybe the oil filter was getting a little over worked, so even though only at 1300 miles on the oil, I decided to change the oil.

Quick back story: this engine was fully rebuilt just under 3k miles ago, New main and rod bearing, CP pistons w/ rings, all machine work done by lang racing. First oil interval was 1200 miles with 15w-50 conventional break in oil, then 1300 on 10w-60, that oil last 1300 run was the oil I had just drained in the above statement.

Ok, so the reason I rebuilt the motor was due to oil consumption. After doing a leakdown test prior to the rebuild my results were
    Cylinder 1: 3% heard at oil cap
    Cylinder 2: 4% heard at oil cap
    Cylinder 3: 2% heard at oil cap
    Cylinder 4: 2% heard at oil cap
    Cylinder 5: 3.5% heard at oil cap
    Cylinder 6: 3.5% heard at oil cap

I figured this wasn’t really abnormal and concluded the consumption must have been from valve seals. Had the motor rebuilt, and here we are back at the current situation. When I saw all the metallic material in the OFH, I decided to drain it and take an oil sample like i always do. The report came back stating,

“The oil filter clogging can be a reason for the low oil light, but we wouldn't rule out oil
    consumption due to a cylinder-area issue. Chrome (piston rings) and iron (cylinders and other steel parts)
    nearly doubled after a similar run as last time. Increasing oil consumption is a common symptom of a
    ring/cylinder-area issue. Ticking can be another. You might consider a compression or leak down test due
    to the wear. The other wear metals look okay, overall, but now aluminum (pistons) is reading at its highest
    level”

I did a leakdown test yesterday, and my results were all consistently higher than before:
    Cylinder 1: 4%
    Cylinder 2: 5%
    Cylinder 3: 6%
    Cylinder 4: 5%
    Cylinder 5: 5%
    Cylinder 6: 5% All cylinders heard at oil cap.

My question: How long do piston rings take to seat? Do you think those materials in the oil are normal for a new motor with less than 3k miles? Or do you think I actually have a ring issue, in which case I’m screwed, bc as good as everyone says he is, I highly doubt lang will stand behind any of their work as their website states zero warranty on any work they do.

Are you able to bore scope the cylinders? That way you can get an idea of how everything looks. Hopefully the crosshatching is still there from the machining; otherwise, you're looking for glazing or scoring.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
      Are you able to bore scope the cylinders? That way you can get an idea of how everything looks. Hopefully the crosshatching is still there from the machining; otherwise, you're looking for glazing or scoring.
      yes! I’m actually about to pick up a bore scope rental from autozone as soon as I’m done with dinner, hopefully it will be good enough quality to see. What kinds of things should I look for? Tbh I’m not sure what “normal” cylinder wall wear looks like. Obviously a score would be very clear of something wrong, but what else should I look for?

Comment

Originally posted by Chanman1029 View Post

yes! I’m actually about to pick up a bore scope rental from autozone as soon as I’m done with dinner, hopefully it will be good enough quality to see. What kinds of things should I look for? Tbh I’m not sure what “normal” cylinder wall wear looks like. Obviously a score would be very clear of something wrong, but what else should I look for?
        Crosshatching from the machining process.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cylinder_hone_cross_hatch.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	217667

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

Crosshatching from the machining process.
          Cool, I atleast know what that looks like haha.

Will get back here in a few hours and post my findings

Comment

Did you reach out to Lang?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post
              Did you reach out to Lang?

Not yet, I want to confirm if I actually have an issue yet before I bring it to his attention.

The loaner borescope unfortunately was not capable of viewing the cylinder walls, so I got one with a side camera coming from amazon tomorrow.

I’m really nervous of what I’m going to find tbh. The fact that I have more leakdown and more metal in my oil after the 2nd oil change is very concerning. But I guess we’ll find out tomorrow

Comment

Yeah time call lang

Comment

Not yet, I want to confirm if I actually have an issue yet before I bring it to his attention.

The loaner borescope unfortunately was not capable of viewing the cylinder walls, so I got one with a side camera coming from amazon tomorrow.

I'm really nervous of what I'm going to find tbh. The fact that I have more leakdown and more metal in my oil after the 2nd oil change is very concerning. But I guess we'll find out tomorrow
                  I would say its time to call them.

Comment

I highly doubt lang will stand behind any of their work as their website states zero warranty on any work they do.
                    Zero warranty? Why would you let them touch your engine? Mistakes happen regardless of experience and years in the industry.
                    3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Who assembled the motor? If it wasn’t Lang then Lang will immediately blame the one who assembled the motor, right or wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
                        Who assembled the motor? If it wasn’t Lang then Lang will immediately blame the one who assembled the motor, right or wrong.
                        I assembled it lmao, and that’s exactly what they will say even though he assembled the short block, I only mated the block and head.

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post

Zero warranty? Why would you let them touch your engine? Mistakes happen regardless of experience and years in the industry.

bc he doesn’t warranty any work that involves non oem parts. Its all over his website. Pretty sure he will only warranty a stock engine replacement if he’s the one who does it all.

Comment

I assembled it lmao, and that’s exactly what they will say even though he assembled the short block, I only mated the block and head.
                            You still have some chance. If the cylinder walls are gouged then it’s kinda hard to say it wasn’t the machining. Please keep us posted. Lang seemed to do good work and talked a big game. Let’s hope they back it up.

My observation is the most prevalent BMW shops on FB groups in Houston like to really talk up how awesome they are but really aren’t better than any other shop…just better at separating you from more of your money for little to value in return.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

You still have some chance. If the cylinder walls are gouged then it’s kinda hard to say it wasn’t the machining. Please keep us posted. Lang seemed to do good work and talked a big game. Let’s hope they back it up.

My observation is the most prevalent BMW shops on FB groups in Houston like to really talk up how awesome they are but really aren’t better than any other shop…just better at separating you from more of your money for little to value in return.
                              Yeah i will definitely keep you guys posted. I’m not sure if you remember, but I’m the same guy that Lang took in my work, let the engine sit for 2 months while he took in and completed other peoples work, and when he got around to mine it sat at the machinist for nearly 3 months.

I definitely feel like I have somehow gotten all of the 1% of bad work lang does. I read nothing but great things about him, I feel played

Comment

Working...
                              X