Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rear Suspension Bushings and Rear Subframe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Suspension Bushings and Rear Subframe.

I am currently planning on refreshing the rear suspension on my car. After searching through I found a couple threads about what tools people used and how easy/difficult it was. Every bushing is getting replaced with factory except the subframe and RTAB. Both of which will be the CMP ones. The car has been southern owned all its life so there is minimal rust and corrosion underneath but it still is a 20 year old car. With the extensive maintenance bills the previous owner gave me with the car, I could not find any record of the bushings being changed. Will all of that being said, can I just get by with a bushing kit and a RTAB tool? I even read some people used the RTAB tool for the subframe bushing removal as well? Will these two kits work?

https://pmdproducts.com/products/rear-axle-bushing-remover-installer-tool-bmw?variant=43686588645651

While your in there I highly recommend that you thoroughly clean and inspect your RACP for cracks, popped spot welds and panel separations.

I created these videos as a help to understand the the underlying design issue and where to look for damage.

Most people, even reputable shops, look in the wrong places and thus erroneously claim that there is no damage. This turns out to be very expensive further down the line…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

VEVOR 26 PCS Pull and Press Sleeve Kit, 45# Steel Removal Installation Bushes Bearings Tool Kit, Bush Removal Insertion Sleeve Tool Set Works on Most Cars and LCV, HGV Engines https://a.co/d/cHRJRy1

I borrowed this from a buddy…it made the outer ball joints a breeze.

Comment

Gotta love those amazon direct from china to consumer tools with made up names.
        2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
          Gotta love those amazon direct from china to consumer tools with made up names.
          What do you mean, VEVOR and GOOLOO and BEST_TOOLS have been household names for weeks, weeks I tell you!

Comment

$80 to save the headache of piecing something together to "make it work" AND it shows up on your doorstep by tomorrow afternoon? sounds like a scam

Comment

That set is not made of hardened tool steel...looks like normal yellow zinc plated steel. Not the strongest but hey...if cheap chinese gets those outer ball joints out then I'm OK with it. But tool trucks sell the same exact kit for $200+.

Comment

Yeah of course man cheapest solution possible is always the way to go.

And if it looks the same then surely it must be the same those rat bastards.
                2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

I bought this last night, and it should be able to install everything but OE subframe bushings. I’m switching out my AKG poly subframe bushings for CMP, so I imagine I’ll be able to use the RTAB setup to install them.

Silver Track to Street Car Journal
                  Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post

What do you mean, VEVOR and GOOLOO and BEST_TOOLS have been household names for weeks, weeks I tell you!
                    So you're telling me my PITTSBURGH tool set isn't made in Pittsburgh, PA?

Comment

Originally posted by WestBankM4 View Post

So you're telling me my PITTSBURGH tool set isn't made in Pittsburgh, PA?
                      Plot twist, neither is the Chicago stuff :-)

Comment

Once upon a time Milwaukee was made in...you guessed it! Milwaukee.

Fun fact, owner of horror fright lives in Bel Air.

Comment

For this kind of thing I would consider renting or borrowing a tool, unless you plan on doing the same job multiple times or on more than one car. I am kind of in the same situation, I need to take stock of any special tools and misc. odds and ends I'm missing before starting a big suspension and brake refresh. Nothing I hate more than having to stop a job half way through because you don't have a tool, and then you have to wait days or weeks for it to arrive.
                          http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                          '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                          '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
                            For this kind of thing I would consider renting or borrowing a tool, unless you plan on doing the same job multiple times or on more than one car. I am kind of in the same situation, I need to take stock of any special tools and misc. odds and ends I'm missing before starting a big suspension and brake refresh. Nothing I hate more than having to stop a job half way through because you don't have a tool, and then you have to wait days or weeks for it to arrive.
                            I used to rent out my specialty tools mostly to help people out. I stopped that after things started coming back bent and creatively destroyed. Then I charge their dumbass and all I hear are complaints. I'm done with that crap.

Comment

For anyone following along from home and for future reference if someone searches this forum, I did have to add this (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016W4LHZ4...roduct_details). A mixture of heat, freezing, and some cutting it actually all came out. Still comes out cheaper than the specialty tools but man would it have saved some time for me. Still managed to tweak the RTAB tool.

Comment

Working...
                              X