Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to go from Leather Interior to M-Tec Cloth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to go from Leather Interior to M-Tec Cloth?

Toying with this idea of going from black leather interior to M cloth, but not sure how I would proceed or what is involved. Ideally, I make it same as if the car were new with the cloth. Upholstery is not something I have experience with or know about, so thought I'd put this out there for input. It appears one can buy the M cloth in bulk, but as a matter of technicalities and the work required to change over, I'd like some schooling on the subject.

Material can be sourced but you need to pay a pro as this is not a DIY type of work. This won’t be cheap…

Comment

One cost effective way to do this is to uninstall all the covers and door panels, buy the M-Tex material and send all of it to someone very experienced in upholstery. Then they send it back and you install all the seat covers and the interior. It is not easy, but doable.

Comment

Or you do like me, you buy a car with M-Texture interior and swap your black interior in it and sell the car after. That way you get a free OEM M-Texture interior
        2001 BMW E46 M3 Laguna Seca / M-Texture 6mt
        2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
        2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Comment

Originally posted by Gt4 View Post
          Or you do like me, you buy a car with M-Texture interior and swap your black interior in it and sell the car after. That way you get a free OEM M-Texture interior
          Now THAT is thinking! The two things I really wish my car had are a slick top and cloth interior. If I would have been able to order it new, I would have spec'd it that way. Figured the roof is really expensive to do and the cloth might not be too bad, but, maybe that's not the case.

Comment

Most factory M-tech interiors will not be in great shape by now. And if you do find one that is, price of that car will not be cheap either not will it sell for a good price without it’s factory optioned interior…

Comment

Originally posted by PetrolM3 View Post
              Most factory M-tech interiors will not be in great shape by now. And if you do find one that is, price of that car will not be cheap either not will it sell for a good price without it’s factory optioned interior…
              Exactly, doing it the way slideways mentioned is the best way. If you get a used set, how long before it starts tearing, wearing and need replacement anyways.

Comment

Here’s one option:
                Leather Restoration, Custom Interior Work, Section Replacement, Leather Refinishing, Headliner Rewrap, Interior Trim Rewrap, Steering Wheel Rewrap, Convertible Top Replacement, Convertible Rear Window Replacement, Door Panel Insert Replacement, Seat Frame Repair or Replacement
                Silver Track to Street Car Journal
                Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

Originally posted by SQ13 View Post
                  Damn! I bet freight is an arm and leg. I could pull my interior and send it to them, I wonder if that lowers the price. My door panels are mint, and the armrests just painted by TexaZ3, and I'd like to keep my aluminum trim--it's in very good shape (perfect on rears, close to perfect on passenger side, and shows typical seat belt buckle knicks on driver side).

Comment

Originally posted by PSUEng View Post

Damn! I bet freight is an arm and leg. I could pull my interior and send it to them, I wonder if that lowers the price. My door panels are mint, and the armrests just painted by TexaZ3, and I'd like to keep my aluminum trim--it's in very good shape (perfect on rears, close to perfect on passenger side, and shows typical seat belt buckle knicks on driver side).
                    They said $300-400 each way when I inquired a few months ago.
                    Silver Track to Street Car Journal
                    Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
                      One cost effective way to do this is to uninstall all the covers and door panels, buy the M-Tex material and send all of it to someone very experienced in upholstery. Then they send it back and you install all the seat covers and the interior. It is not easy, but doable.
                      This may be the optimal route.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ13 View Post

They said $300-400 each way when I inquired a few months ago.
                        Was that for all the complete seats, complete door panels? I wonder if I pulled the parts requiring the cloth--panels would be easy to do, seats maybe another story, if that would keep the cost down. CT is a long way from me...

Hell I'd even go for just having the front seats done at this point, to keep from sliding around. Then I'd have a frankenstein interior, but probably OK.
                        Last edited by PSUEng; 05-20-2023, 01:09 PM.

Comment

You definitely want to do that. I bought a complete re-leathered imola interior from him and he did a fantastic job but what he can't control is how perfect the door cards etc. are. If yours are mint, wrap, ship, and your interior will come back really well done. I absolutely love my interior and haven't regretted a nickel of the thousands I spent.
                          3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

I think it could definitely be DIY’d if you have a heavy duty sewing machine. You already have a pattern!

Comment

Was that for all the complete seats, complete door panels? I wonder if I pulled the parts requiring the cloth--panels would be easy to do, seats maybe another story, if that would keep the cost down. CT is a long way from me...

Hell I'd even go for just having the front seats done at this point, to keep from sliding around. Then I'd have a frankenstein interior, but probably OK.
                              If I had black interior, I'd just go for a set of used street friendly Recaro or Cobra seats and send the covers in with the M-tex material. This way, it doesn't really look frankenstein IMO and you get that bit of M-tex without breaking the bank. It should also be much easier to DIY install the covers on the aftermarket seat rather than the stock seat.

Comment

Working...
                              X