Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to go from Leather Interior to M-Tec Cloth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oceansize View Post

You definitely want to do that. I bought a complete re-leathered imola interior from him and he did a fantastic job but what he can't control is how perfect the door cards etc. are. If yours are mint, wrap, ship, and your interior will come back really well done. I absolutely love my interior and haven't regretted a nickel of the thousands I spent.
    I couldn't agree more. You will pay. But it will be easy, fun and worth it. Unless you love the pain, then just do it yourself.

Comment

Have a read through this thread if you're thinking about retrimming: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...s-reproduction

I went down the retrim route on my original m texture interior since the doors had been redone in leather somewhere along the way. I was never satisfied with having them retrimmed even by high end upholsterers, it never looked right. It didn't help that the ASC fabric that everybody uses is actually not that good of a match with OEM imo as you can see in that post where I compare new ASC fabric with new OEM fabric. The photos make it look closer than it is too, in person they look like totally different fabrics. I ended up sourcing OEM m texture door cards and transplanting the cloth onto a clean set of vinyls since I was never satisfied with them being retrimmed, and sourced OEM fabric to re-do my bucket seats.

Personally, having been there done that I would try and source a decent condition original set if you can it is incredibly difficult to have a retrimmed set look original, tbh I've yet to see it done once. Otherwise try find the OEM fabric somewhere and have an upholsterer you trust give it a shot.

Comment

I had a set of seats made, they look great. Bmwrestoredseats on IG. Im very happy with them. He sent me swatches and all that stuff to see what different options were available and to help me make my decision. Admittedly, im not a fan of alcantara, so i went with a non-factory e46 option, but ultimately, i have leather bolsters with m-fabric (e36) inserts and i love them. It wasnt cheap, but good work never is.
        I would do it again without question

Comment

Originally posted by Kcalhoun27 View Post
          I had a set of seats made, they look great. Bmwrestoredseats on IG. Im very happy with them. He sent me swatches and all that stuff to see what different options were available and to help me make my decision. Admittedly, im not a fan of alcantara, so i went with a non-factory e46 option, but ultimately, i have leather bolsters with m-fabric (e36) inserts and i love them. It wasnt cheap, but good work never is.
          I would do it again without question
          Got any pics of what you had done? Would love to see it.

2004 Silver Grey - Manual - Slick top - Manual Cloth Seats

Comment

Originally posted by sleeks View Post

You can see his work here. Tons of pics. I used him, he is really good, no issues.
            3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by sleeks View Post

12K Followers, 837 Following, 535 Posts - See Instagram photos and videos from Joni DaSilva (@bmwrestoredseats)

you can see his work here. I know everyone has their opinions on what is or isnt good work and all i can say is that as someone who put my money on the line, im a happy customer. Joni was great to work with and when you meet him, the first thing that sticks out his he is someone that goes home at night proud of what he does. I dropped my car off, went and partied in bridgeport for a night and picked up my car in the morning with new, gorgeous seats that were exactly what i wanted.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	219102

Comment

Originally posted by PSUEng View Post

Damn! I bet freight is an arm and leg. I could pull my interior and send it to them, I wonder if that lowers the price. My door panels are mint, and the armrests just painted by TexaZ3, and I'd like to keep my aluminum trim--it's in very good shape (perfect on rears, close to perfect on passenger side, and shows typical seat belt buckle knicks on driver side).
                I bought a complete interior in New Jersey and had it shipped to my home in Oregon. It was just under $400 for freight, it's not as bad as you might think. Came on a big pallet, extremely well packaged, and nothing was damaged.
                E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
                Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

Working...
                X