E46 M3 Oil Pan Center Gasket Orientation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E46 M3 Oil Pan Center Gasket Orientation

Trying to find the answer on the correct orientation for the center oil pan gasket (pn#11137832023​) on the e46 m3. I have watched all the DIYs videos, posts, articles, TIS docs and cannot find anything that confirms the correct orientation.

The gasket has a raised ridge around the middle, should this be facing the oil pan or the oil strainer cover? I feel like it should be facing the oil strainer cover since the oil pan itself has the smoother surface but not sure.

Appreciate any help on this. Thank You.
    Last edited by DMA; 05-19-2023, 06:42 PM.

Yeah usually that ridge goes towards the less perfect surface

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post
      Yeah usually that ridge goes towards the less perfect surface
      Exactly, that's what I am thinking. Since the cover is the less perfect surface face it towards that. Appreciate the response.

Comment

I think what I did on mine was put a thin layer of Yamabond 4 on each side. Can't go wrong and now it'll never leak!

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post
          I think what I did on mine was put a thin layer of Yamabond 4 on each side. Can't go wrong and now it'll never leak!
          Did the same with Corteco EVO300 silicon sealer. Small layer on each side and faced the ridge towards the cover. Going to let it cure for about 24hrs and then refill the oil and test. Appreciate the help.
          Attached Files

Comment

Yes I need to do this as well with maybe a Honda bond. So tired of this gasket leaking all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I asked a couple shops on which orientation and the one that responded said they prefer to install them with the ridge facing the oil pan. However, they said that it should work in either orientation as long as both mating surfaces are clean.

The install with the silicone gasket maker did not leak but I ended up redoing it because of separate issue. This time I installed it ridge towards oil pan/no silicone making sure both surfaces were as smooth as possible and after about 100+ miles no leaks.

Comment

Working...
              X