Scammed in classified section?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scammed in classified section?

Sorry guys, wasn’t sure where to post this. I’m almost positive that I’ve been scammed out of a lousy $200 for CSL Splitters. Is there a section where members post and add usernames to a list of potential scammers? I’m going to give it another day or so - Just beyond frustrated and should have known better.
    thanks.
    2003.5 BMW M3 Carbon Schwarz Metallic/Cinnamon 6 Speed – HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | AA Headers | AA Section 1 | SS Resonated Section 2 | SS Race Section 3 | TMS V2 CSL Airbox | TMS Street Plates | Ohlin’s R&T Coilovers | Ground Control Front and Rear Sways | Ground Control Adjustable Camber Arms | DMG Autosport Pro46R | FreakyParts BBK Front | Porsche 996 Conversion Rear | CMP Stage 1 + 1.5 Reinforcement Plates | CMP Subframe Bushings | CMP RTAB’s | SGT CSL Bumper | SGT CSL Trunk | Dr VANOS

Sorry to hear, any chance you used paypal or a credit card? They target WTB ads all the time. I received messages from 2 or 3 scammers for the strut bar.

Signs of a scammer:

Ask to reply to random email
    Zero or low post count
    Recently joined forum
    Refuse to use standard Paypal with buyer/seller protection

Comment

Thanks Slideways. Unfortunately I went against my best judgement and used Zelle. I never ever do that when dealing with strangers, but he provided pictures and although both members involved in selling me the item have low post counts, they have been members for quite a while so I figured I’d take my chances. He said it would be shipped on Thursday and I’m still waiting. I do find it odd that he responds to my emails inquiring about an expected shipping date.
      2003.5 BMW M3 Carbon Schwarz Metallic/Cinnamon 6 Speed – HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | AA Headers | AA Section 1 | SS Resonated Section 2 | SS Race Section 3 | TMS V2 CSL Airbox | TMS Street Plates | Ohlin’s R&T Coilovers | Ground Control Front and Rear Sways | Ground Control Adjustable Camber Arms | DMG Autosport Pro46R | FreakyParts BBK Front | Porsche 996 Conversion Rear | CMP Stage 1 + 1.5 Reinforcement Plates | CMP Subframe Bushings | CMP RTAB’s | SGT CSL Bumper | SGT CSL Trunk | Dr VANOS

Comment

Speaking of scams, I received something in a PM a few days ago. Last time I replied. I wish I didn't. Who do I send this matter to?

Comment

Originally posted by Acarv_426 View Post
          Thanks Slideways. Unfortunately I went against my best judgement and used Zelle. I never ever do that when dealing with strangers, but he provided pictures and although both members involved in selling me the item have low post counts, they have been members for quite a while so I figured I’d take my chances. He said it would be shipped on Thursday and I’m still waiting. I do find it odd that he responds to my emails inquiring about an expected shipping date.
          They probably want to continue scamming by asking to pay some small fee to release the item from shipping limbo. Moderators might need to up the post count before new members can send a PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

They probably want to continue scamming by asking to pay some small fee to release the item from shipping limbo. Moderators might need to up the post count before new members can send a PM.
            Appreciate the help man, thanks.

Comment

Not just post count but probationary period of thirty days would make too much sense.
              2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Also good practice to reverse image search any images sent to you by someone who seems a bit sketch. Most of the time they're pulled off of eBay listings or similar
                2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/t...pms#post218527

Sorry to hear, any chance you used paypal or a credit card? They target WTB ads all the time. I received messages from 2 or 3 scammers for the strut bar.

Signs of a scammer:

Ask to reply to random email
                  Zero or low post count
                  Recently joined forum
                  Refuse to use standard Paypal with buyer/seller protection
                  All your points are valid except I would have to disagree with you on the: Refuse to use standard Paypal with buyer/seller protection. While we all know about scamming on the seller side. There is also scamming on the buyer side. I know many people who sold items using "Paypal buy and sell option" to have the transaction disputed by the buyer. The buyer would state that the box was empty or contained something different which then caused Paypal to reverse the charge giving the money to the buyer while the buyer kept the item.

Honestly, knowing the seller or having a person vouch for the seller is kinda the only way to buy online today. There is WAY to much scamming today. I personally avoid shipping items and tend to sell locally to have an in person transaction. It sucks because it takes longer to sell items but I found it to be the most secure.
                  Last edited by bmw m3 s50; 05-22-2023, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Too many scammers on every single forum. Once you post a WTB ad, you'll get a PM from a new account asking you to text or email some random person who is the man and has exactly what you want ! For re-assurance, they will attach a picture of the item you're looking for as well. Total scammers.... at least on other forums you can report the PM to mods or report that individual as a scammer/spammer and collectively ban them without mods getting involved.
                    2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
                    2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
                    2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by bmw m3 s50 View Post

All your points are valid except I would have to disagree with you on the: Refuse to use standard Paypal with buyer/seller protection. While we all know about scamming on the seller side. There is also scamming on the buyer side. I know many people who sold items using "Paypal buy and sell option" to have the transaction disputed by the buyer. The buyer would state that the box was empty or contained something different which then caused Paypal to reverse the charge giving the money to the buyer while the buyer kept the item.

Honestly, knowing the seller or having a person vouch for the seller is kinda the only way to buy online today. There is WAY to much scamming today. I personally avoid shipping items and tend to sell locally to have an in person transaction. It sucks because it takes longer to sell items but I found it to be the most secure.
                      Yeah F PayPal. I sold some wheels and then the guy said they were fake. I was like, ok, ship the wheels back and I’ll send a refund plus the freight.

This is why I never ever keep money in my PayPal account…I send pics, receipts and everything that PayPal asked for. PayPal still reversed the charge and I said see ya later! That account is still $4000 in the red. They can try to collect all day long, they don’t have enough info to verify me.

Say what you want, I have a long history of charging fair prices and taking care of people.

Comment

That sucks... Is Venmo any better than PayPal?

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
                          Yeah F PayPal...
                          They can try to collect all day long, they don’t have enough info to verify me.
                          As ordered by our current president, Paypal is now requiring a SSN for tax purposes if your annual sales exceed $600. No thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by BMWE46M3 View Post
                            That sucks... Is Venmo any better than PayPal?
                            Venmo was bought by paypal
                            DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                            /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                            More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Working...
                            X