Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E46 M3 Fuel Starvation kit - what’s proper fuel pump clocked position?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E46 M3 Fuel Starvation kit - what’s proper fuel pump clocked position?

For those who are running the e46 fuel starvation kit, if you can share how’s your fuel pump clocked ? Meaning it’s orientation in order to show correct fuel level on fuel gauge.

I have bee.n running the secondary fuel pump for past two months and I must say it works great 👌 no more fuel starvation on long sweepers and best part no need to refuel as often can even run below quarter tank now, but I’m stuck on one thing, the fuel gauge reading is not accurate, the highest it will read is (see picture) when tank is full
    I have tried clocking the fuel pump several times different directions and this is the highest fuel gauge ever reads this is what I’m at now

For those that are running secondary fuel pump if you don’t mind sharing experience and fuel pump position and fuel gauge readings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Can't believe no one is running fuel starvation kit one here ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I am having the opposite problem after I had a BMW performance shop install - the level doesn't go below 1/4 tank. Ran out of fuel at the track.

My local shop just said that the sensor becomes quirky.

Comment

Having the same issue, tried clocking the pump multiple times, same result.

Comment

I followed BW's directions and have the same issue.

Comment

Same. Very annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Wow i'm the only one with a functional gas gauge with this kit? I had a shop install mine so sadly I can't comment on how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post
                Wow i'm the only one with a functional gas gauge with this kit? I had a shop install mine so sadly I can't comment on how to fix it.
                How about calling them and asking?... 😉

Comment

Originally posted by M9Seth View Post

How about calling them and asking?... 😉
                  It was 3 years ago, doubtful they would remember. But I don't see them doing anything that is not in the instructions.

Comment

It was 3 years ago, doubtful they would remember. But I don't see them doing anything that is not in the instructions.
                    The kit has changed since you installed it. They added a "pigtail" which is supposed to fix the problem but sadly doesn't
                    Last edited by M9Seth; 08-06-2023, 05:17 AM.

Comment

I've never really bothered trying to fix it. I rarely fuel up all the way to full anyway. But I'm thinking that you fill the fuel tank which leaves space in the tank. The left side pump keeps pumping to the right side so it will drop the left side just enough to drop the level.

Comment

This is the orientation of the new fuel pump, which seems to be the same as BW and buildjournal. I am assuming that the fuel sensor signal comes from this new unit.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	20230808_135917.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	228544

My shop ordered the kit, so I did not see what the new wiring to the black connector looks like (kit includes a black connector with 2 green wires), but in the BW and buildjournal pics, the black connector should have 2 green wires, not black and green.

Are you willing to take a picture of both your fuel pumps to see the orientation/position of the E46 (passenger side) and E36 (driver side) pumps?

Comment

Call me a weenie, but the busted fuel gauge is a big part of why I haven't pulled the trigger on this kit

Comment

Originally posted by Spazdoc View Post
                            This is the orientation of the new fuel pump, which seems to be the same as BW and buildjournal. I am assuming that the fuel sensor signal comes from this new unit.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	20230808_135917.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	228544

My shop ordered the kit, so I did not see what the new wiring to the black connector looks like (kit includes a black connector with 2 green wires), but in the BW and buildjournal pics, the black connector should have 2 green wires, not black and green.

Are you willing to take a picture of both your fuel pumps to see the orientation/position of the E46 (passenger side) and E36 (driver side) pumps?
                            Next time I take out the seats ill snap a pic. I can't get to that area with the seats in the car as I have a roll bar and an X brace.

Comment

Working...
                            X