CSL airbox vs throttle response/low rpm torque

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CSL airbox vs throttle response/low rpm torque

I know everyone here loves their CSL airbox cause it looks so good in the engine bay and THAT sound at high RPM.

I don’t have a lot of experience with M3 with CSL airbox. I have a Karbonius CSL airbox for 1.5 years now and still not installed…

I had a Geoff Steel CSL intake in the past on a track car with TTFS tune and honestly didn’t liked it. Also had a lightweight flywheel and other mods on that car. It feels slow to me (torqueless at low RPM) and always tought it was the tune…

Last week, I was working on a car with a Turner CSL airbox. Went for a road test. Car feels like there is no throttle response, sucks especially when you are use to a certain amount of pressure on gaz pedal to rev match on downshift. I never drive on Sport mode. Tried it on Sport mode and it was still bad.

Anyway, not sure I like the CSL airbox modification after driving that car.

My question is: is this something normal with all CSL airbox that doesn’t have a motorized flap or is it due to a bad tune?
    2001 BMW E46 M3 Laguna Seca / M-Texture 6mt
    2002 BMW E46 M3 Titanium Silver/Black 6mt
    2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
    2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Let me guess the car was running an alpha N based tune?

A proper CSL Map based tune does not have this effect. it contrary the opposite very direct.

Comment

9 times out of 10, it is a poorly calibrated tune. What tune was on the car that had the Turner box?

Having compared a TTFS tune with the stock CSL tune, there were some very questionable modifications to say the least.

The main goal of the airbox is reduce the restriction at the mid and top end. The low end should stay the same due to the velocity stacks being identical between the stock and CSL airbox. Turner might be a little different due to the trumpet design, but it won't be by much.

Comment

Originally posted by ZiMMie View Post

A proper CSL Map based tune does not have this effect. it contrary the opposite very direct.
        My TTFS tune was a CSL tune with TTFS modified air rail.

The car last week has an Alpha-N tune.

Good to know that it’s probably tune related. I will install mine soon and plan to do remote dyno tune with HTE!

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
          9 times out of 10, it is a poorly calibrated tune. What tune was on the car that had the Turner box?

Having compared a TTFS tune with the stock CSL tune, there were some very questionable modifications to say the least.

The main goal of the airbox is reduce the restriction at the mid and top end. The low end should stay the same due to the velocity stacks being identical between the stock and CSL airbox. Turner might be a little different due to the trumpet design, but it won't be by much.
          The car with the Turner airbox has a local guy random Alpha-N tune… haha

Comment

Originally posted by Gt4 View Post

The car with the Turner airbox has a local guy random Alpha-N tune… haha
            Even with a pre-calibrated tune (not even dyno) from HTE or PCS, it should be a completely different experience.

Comment

When spending nearly of $3k on the total cost of this mod, i cant understand why anyone wouldnt just suck up the extra 10-20% added cost to do it properly with a MAP- especially with all the stories like this.
              2002 TiAg M3 Coupe (SMG to 6spd), 2003 Jet Black M5

https://www.instagram.com/individual_throttle_buddies/

Comment

Originally posted by ZiMMie View Post

The Alpha-N tune on my silver car works just fine. Blue car, not so much - hesitation when rev matching under ~3k RPMs. Both HTE tuned.
                Last edited by SQ13; 06-13-2023, 09:51 AM.
                Silver Track to Street Car Journal
                Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

My HTE alpha N tune bogs on rev match downshifts unless you heel toe. Hasn't bothered me enough to fix but I would like to do a MAP sensor conversion. Good to know that should fix it.

Comment

Tried both HTE and PCS off the shelf tunes for stock US Spec vehicle + Karb box with MAP configuration.

PCS knocked it out of the park for me, in terms of stock-MAF like experience. Smooth everywhere, no wonkyness at all.

Comment

My throttle response is great, evolve alpha n tune from 2017. Car is an explosive beast.
                      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by lemoose View Post
                        When spending nearly of $3k on the total cost of this mod, i cant understand why anyone wouldnt just suck up the extra 10-20% added cost to do it properly with a MAP- especially with all the stories like this.
                        Didn't need to.
                        DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Gt4 View Post

My question is: is this something normal with all CSL airbox that doesn’t have a motorized flap or is it due to a bad tune?

around 5 years ago it was very commonplace, the old M3F had a huge thread about it with issues ranging from just poor throttle response/hesitation to the "bucking bronco" effect

it seems like with time, ECU tuning has resolved a lot of people's issues, but there are still probably a lot of people driving around with subpar driveability thinking it's a good enough tradeoff for the airbox sound

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                            My throttle response is great, evolve alpha n tune from 2017. Car is an explosive beast.
                            fwiw, my experience was the opposite with evolve + alpha N. Boggy, and mostly just felt slow to respond all over. CSL tune and map sensor improved it, but then I had a low rpm bucking/stutter.

this was back in 2014 tho. Sounds like tunes have come a long way since the.

Comment

I have an evolve airbox, PCS tune, light flywheel, 288 cams and my engine blipping and low speed throttle is still way worse than my 987 Boxster S. It's always baffled me why it isn't better

Comment

Working...
                              X