Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's talk insurance

My learnings of stated value insurance companies:
    - Hagerty, Grundy, American Collectors Insurance, Safeco etc. are secondary insurance companies that require a daily driver to be in possession and registered with a Geico or another type of primary insurance provider in order to be able to even offer you insurance on your car. In my case, I don't have or need a daily, so they denied me insurance on the M3.
    - All other types of insurance will be for market value at the time of the incident
    - In order to get to a stated value insurance company, you could in theory by a beater car for $500, insure it at a Geico, and then go to one of those stated value companies to get your M3 insured with them
    - Learned a ton through this thread on stated-value insurance for our cars on this thread: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...rance-policies

I ended up continuing with Geico although I'm not a fan of market value policies, it's the best I can do right now until I decide to get a daily. $3082 a year šŸ˜­

--------------

Original post:
    ā€‹

Let's talk about insurance and coverages ā€“ I just got off the phone with my current insurer, Geico, and was shocked to learn that in the event of a total loss they would give me market value - depreciation - deductible on my collision. That worked out to their estimate to about $5k, which I fell out of my chair when I heard this. I also learned that for CA coverage for 5k miles driven a year, and coverages that were the same as my MA insurance that would work itself out to over $3k/year.

With that said, my own situation is that the car is still insured in Massachusetts (my family still has property there) and now I'm in the process of getting new CA plates, and transferring it to CA properly, which sucks.

With all of this said, I checked out Hagerty right now and this is the policy they gave me ā€“

2004 M3, 6-spd, 155k miles, driven about 4-5k a year
    • Miles Driven Annually 2501-5000
    • Applied Number of Years Licensed: 14-18
    • Liability$15000 / $30000 (Each Person/Each Accident)
    • Liability - PD$5000 (Each Accident)
    • Medical Payments$1000 (Each Person/Each Accident)
    • Uninsured Motorist$15000 / $30000 (Each Person/Each Accident)
    • Limited Earthquake Coverage$1000000 (Guaranteed Value)
    • Collision - $1,000 Deductible
    • Other Than Collision - $1,000 Deductible
    $1,584/year - Guaranteed value of $42,400 (what they suggested for their second-tier condition of the M3, which I put as "Good: "runs well and looks good")
    ā€‹
    My questions ā€“
    From the major edit headline: Where should I go for stated-value insurance?ā€‹

Input would be helpful ā€“ I've not been in a place where I've had to insure the car based on value, and am keen to learn about it!

Thank you in advance!

Jonathan ā€‹
    Last edited by ChapterM3; 06-20-2023, 11:16 AM.
    - Jonathan

2004 M3 6MT Carbon Black OEM+ | Vortex Days

Is it even legal to have liability limits that low? Iā€™d want $250k personal injury and $100k property damage. In Massachusetts at least the legal minimums are higher than what you posted above.

Comment

hi, we have a several page long thread on agreed value policies that should help answer your questions.

The premium you got quoted is outrageously high.

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post
        Is it even legal to have liability limits that low? Iā€™d want $250k personal injury and $100k property damage. In Massachusetts at least the legal minimums are higher than what you posted above.
        That's the exact amount that I had on my MA insurance with Geico - for CA they just quoted me $1570 per 6 months. I have no points and have been driving for 16 years, no idea what's going on here but I need to find new insurance, see my edit above on Hagerty as wellā€‹

Originally posted by sev View Post
        hi, we have a several page long thread on agreed value policies that should help answer your questions.

The premium you got quoted is outrageously high.
        Oh no way, do you have a link to that thread? I looked and couldn't find anything about it
        - Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by ChapterM3 View Post
          MAJOR EDIT: I just got off the phone with Hagerty, apparently I can't even get insurance through them because I don't own a daily driver that's insured with another major car insurance company. They apparently need that in order to even give me insurance on the M3. Where should I go for stated-value insurance?ā€‹ā€‹
          It's worse than that. You're going to need a separate daily that's newer than the M3 for every single licensed driver in your household.

I own my M3 and an E82 daily, but none of the companies that do agreed value will sell me a policy because there's another licensed driver in my household. I'd have to buy another car so that she can list that as a daily on MY insurance policy lol. Ridiculous.
          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

It's worse than that. You're going to need a separate daily that's newer than the M3 for every single licensed driver in your household.

I own my M3 and an E82 daily, but none of the companies that do agreed value will sell me a policy because there's another licensed driver in my household. I'd have to buy another car so that she can list that as a daily on MY insurance policy lol. Ridiculous.
            Yes EXACTLY right. I asked the guy at Hagerty on the phone, "so you're saying that I have to have a newer daily for myself and anyone else in my household, in order to then even qualify to get your insurance?" = "Yeah, that's how it works" - What the hell is that? Well, that's their business model I guess but that still leaves me without a proper solution

What else can I do for insurance on the M3 that values its stated value as well as give me a decent rate that's better than Geico's $1570 for 6 months without honoring its value?
            - Jonathan

Comment

Thatā€™s fucking stupid about the one car per licensed driver in the household thing. I want to get policies for my 2 cars and my wifeā€™s car, but we share a daily. Can it be a motorcycle? Or does it need to be a car?
              http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
              '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
              '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
                Can it be a motorcycle? Or does it need to be a car?
                I tried using a motorcycle and was told no ā€‹ā€‹ā€‹ā€‹ā€‹ā€‹
                2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

Check American Collectors Insurance

Comment

Updated my original post with learnings I've had through this experience for anyone searching like I did as a single owner, non-daily owned household that could not get stated value insurance because of said not owning a daily driver. If anyone has any other input feel free to add - still shocked at paying $3k for car insurance that would then only get me market value for my beloved car, but yeah, I guess that's the only option I have right now before I buy some junk car and insure it to then get stated value insurance :-/
                    - Jonathan

Comment

You're going to need a separate daily that's newer than the M3 for every single licensed driver in your household.
                      That's not how it worked for me. We have a 2021 CX-9 that is designated the daily for me and wife, and I insure my two M cars through Hagerty. Policy 3-4 years old at this point. Maybe this is a California thing?
                      Interlagos 06 M3, Autologic tune, Agency Power midpipes/exhaust, Fortune Auto coilovers, UUC SSK, ZKW-R lenses. MRegistry listing here

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBimmers View Post

That's not how it worked for me. We have a 2021 CX-9 that is designated the daily for me and wife, and I insure my two M cars through Hagerty. Policy 3-4 years old at this point. Maybe this is a California thing?
                        Could be. I'm seriously debating now about buying a beater daily driver, perhaps an MKIV Golf 1.8t or something I'm familiar with just to potentially get the M3 on Hagerty. What's your rate on the M cars through them?
                        - Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBimmers View Post

I think it's both a new thing and a California thing. I know someone local that got his car insured with a motorcycle as a daily a couple years back. However, no-go when I asked some months ago. Don't remember hearing about the multiple daily driver thing either until very recently.

Comment

Originally posted by ChapterM3 View Post

Could be. I'm seriously debating now about buying a beater daily driver, perhaps an MKIV Golf 1.8t or something I'm familiar with just to potentially get the M3 on Hagerty. What's your rate on the M cars through them?
                            I pay about $1250/y in California for agreed value of $50k. Hagerty

Comment

Thank you both for your replies - My logic is that if I get a really cheap daily it'll actually be cheaper than paying for Geico out right, and at the same time I then have a beater car for whatever random errands I might need to run. But as of now I haven't needed one as my wife and I share hers, but with a $3k insurance rate from Geico and no chance to get a agreed upon insurance value for the M3, I'm leaning much more in the beater daily/Hagerty direction
                              - Jonathan

Comment

Working...
                              X