Steering Wheel Refurb - DIY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering Wheel Refurb - DIY

This won’t be an actual DIY, rather to document that I will give it a go and redye my steering wheel, which is in good condition except for one area where I screwed it by using a magic eraser. This is at the 4-5 o clock on the wheel.

This the area I rubbed color off​

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0072.jpg Views:	0 Size:	93.1 KB ID:	223158

The wheel is now masked for:

Cleaning
    Sanding
    Cleaning
    Painting
    Clear coating​

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0071.jpg Views:	0 Size:	149.6 KB ID:	223159
    Last edited by maupineda; 06-25-2023, 08:06 PM.

Look forward to seeing the progress

Comment

OP - think the juice will be worth the squeeze?

Comment

Z4m wheel?

Comment

I was behind with getting all materials I need.

i was overthinking much what kit to use. I was between “magic mender” and “leather repair company” dyes. I chose the former as they sell a cross linker which I understand helps with binding and durability.

i had to buy what I needed separately as the materials I want are not in one kit

Prep solution
          dye
          clear coat (matte)
          cross linker

Best Leather Repair Kit For over 28 Years Because it REALLY DOES Work! ⇒  See Our Full Line of Products For professional quality repairs, choose professional quality products. ⇒

and I will use this to spray it on (don’t trust myself with the foam methods)

Preval spray system. Spray any paint! Refillable touch up and air brush spray for pro and DIY jobs that deserve the best look.

Click image for larger version

Name:	15459F24-9DEF-43B4-9DEB-4F427B266738.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	223891

My wheel was actually a 9 but I was too aggressive cleaning and screwed it. So I don’t have to sand it.

Comment

I have cleaned the wheel using the following method

So far...
            0. mask all the areas you don't want to dye on, I used my finger nail to get the tape in all spaces between the switches and rim. my wheel trims are new, and do not want to screw them. Since I want to preserve the tri-color stitching, I will be masking this as best as I can.

1. used dish washer and sponge to agitate all dirt and dried with paper towel
            2. Using isopropyl alcohol I wiped the wheel, this will removed a bit of dye, as the paper gets black, however, if cleaned again with dish washer and dry, nothing comes off.
            3 I repeat the two steps above twice

Next...
            4. clean the wheel with the prep solution, which is a water based solvent, this is coming from magic mender.

reserved for pictures

5. mix dye with the crosslinker, one crosslinker bottle is good for 5oz of paint, so I will only use half of it with half the paint. the other half will be for the top coat.

reserved for pictures

6. spray on thin coats, I plan on doing 2-3 coats, and use a hair drier between layers to expedite the process.

reserved for pictures

7. mix top coat with the crosslinker, here I will rinse the container and clear the sprayer, I may juts get another sprayer to avoid screwing things up.

reserved for photos

8. spray on thin coats

reserved for pictures​

Comment

This is how the wheel came up. it is not perfect, but better. I think the two main things I would have liked to be different are the color, a bit "blacker" than OE, and the shin, I should have selected matt.

Name:	ReDye1.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	225588

Name:	ReDye.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	225585

And a few close ups

Name:	ReDye2.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	225586

Name:	ReDye3.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	225587

Name:	ReDye4.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	225589

Name:	ReDye5.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	225584
              I am not sure I will leave it as is, since I want a 9/10 status for most things, and these wheel are still available, i may end up buying a new wheel, so this will be up for sale for anyone that is interested.
              BTW, the switch trims are new, so the wheel as is is very nice, just not perfect.

These wheels fit E46, but you would need the cruise control stalk to retain that feature​ as the Z4M wheel doesn't have the CC button on it.

Comment

I think it came out great. Props for attempting this project. I needed a new wheel for the Z4 as well and I finally sucked it up and spent the $1100 for a new one before they go NLA or even more insane in pricing
                2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
                2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
                2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Maxima SE View Post
                  I think it came out great. Props for attempting this project. I needed a new wheel for the Z4 as well and I finally sucked it up and spent the $1100 for a new one before they go NLA or even more insane in pricing
                  Same boat here, just threw 1250 on a new one, prices increased recently by 7-8%. I will sell mine and recoup some of the cost. I may just hang to the refurbed one as they will be more and more rare and expensive.

Comment

Working...
                  X