Rear Axle Install Help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Axle Install Help.

I come to you guys again for help. This front and rear refresh has just been non-stop issues. My current issue is I can not get my rear axles reinstalled back onto the output shafts. I can tilt the rear cv and get it started but only just an inch. I can not physically compress the axle enough to give me enough space to install. I guess if I have to I can undo the outer ball joints so everything is loose but surely that's not the correct way.

Originally posted by Ubaderb View Post
    I come to you guys again for help. This front and rear refresh has just been non-stop issues. My current issue is I can not get my rear axles reinstalled back onto the output shafts. I can tilt the rear cv and get it started but only just an inch. I can not physically compress the axle enough to give me enough space to install. I guess if I have to I can undo the outer ball joints so everything is loose but surely that's not the correct way.
    Without positing a pic, I only can guess that you can't install the output shaft with CV joints to the diff output flange? Nothing has changed except the output flanges might be not inserted deep enough into the diff is my guess.

Comment

Make sure the output shafts are seated and locked. Try pulling on them out by hand.

Comment

I did axle work on my e46 and f80 over the last month. Both the jobs would have been nearly impossible with muscle or a hammer. Just save yourself the hassle and order a shaft pull tool. 40$~ on ebay. Will save you lots of annoyance.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-06-29 075602.png
Views:	133
Size:	314.5 KB
ID:	223696

Comment

So the fix this time for me was to place a jack under the trailing arm and out them at about ride height. It was still a tight fit but it worked this time. Unsure if that is normal?

Comment

Working...
          X