SMG Pump Relocation Preparation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SMG Pump Relocation Preparation

The plan is to relocate the SMG pump to the drug bin hopefully by the end of this year. I’ve been searching through the forums postings for some clues about routing the hydraulic lines. Should they be connected to the existing hard lines or should I completely remove the hard lines and run the new flexible hydraulic lines directly to the transmission actuators? It looks like the hydraulic lines that come with the relocation kits have male and female fittings to connect to the old hard lines, but the length of the lines are way too long and would be tough to stowaway and leave high places for air to collect. Plus the flexible sections of the old lines are getting fairly old and may be starting to deteriorate, very much the same way flexible brake lines will. It makes more sense to me to run the new lines directly to each of the actuators on the transmission. Plus the lines would need to be of different lengths and the lines could possibly be kept fairly flat or upwards inclined towards the pump to aid with air removal from the system. Am I playing to much into this? Looking at the Burkhart and the SMG Society websites they both offer flexible lines with both male and female fittings so I’m guessing they’re intending them to be connected to the old hard lines. I know that MRL Engineering will make any length braided line with any style of fittings needed, including banjo style.

Also, there is a difference with the inside diameter of the hydraulic lines. The original lines, which are basically brake lines, are much larger than the flexible lines offered for relocation. I know very little about hydraulics and the movement of liquids, but I’m hoping that someone here can help and tell me if the difference in diameter will make that much difference in the operation of the actuators? Too much resistance to the flow volume? Again, am I overthinking this?
    Thanks

When I did mine a couple of years ago, I bought a kit put together by a member on here. The new lines and cable all connected to the original lines and harness, I then routed them behind the engine just below the cabin filter housing. There is a large hole on the engine side of the drug bin that allows you to route every line and wrap it neatly away. My lines length also where of a suitable length so the minor excess all coiled nicely away underneath the relocation bracket in the drug bin (didn't really coil but ran in a nice radius). Yours may vary though but I imagine Burkhart would have put together a decent kit for this not to be an issue.

I wouldn't even entertain the notion of going to the trouble of having brand new custom length lines made to run all the way to the actuator as I can't really see how you'd run them in any significantly different manner anyways, you'd just be adding labour and cost for no real benefit. They're clamped to the side of the gearbox and turns into hardline if I recall correctly? Also access to the actuator is another item that will add labour, I just don't see the need.

I'm no expert, but see your point about inner diameter, but I would imagine the pump and accumulator would run to spec, and the bigger lines would just make the pump run more often, but still provide the same pressure? I wouldn't worry about this personally but interested in the physics here.

Regards

Comment

I am thinking of putting into production/selling the SMG bracket with bushings for the pump like OE. This would be for vehicles which have the Bin empty on the passenger side on LHD M3's. it will also accommodate the Radium Engineering catch can setup.

As far as the lines i would buy them from someone like BURKHART. I had them made in Florida when my lines that were provided by a member on the old M3F failed and started leaking. They werent cheap LOL! So someone like Burkhart or any other SMG maintenance parts suppliers will have the lines ready to go. all you will need to do after that is extend your wiring harness and thats not hard to do.

SMG Hydraulic Lines:

Time to solve your SMG problems once and for all! With the Relocation Kit you can relocate the SMG hydraulic unit - away from the engine to the passenger side's 'drug bin'. This offer includes a set of 4 hydraulic lines with each 190cm length. The lines are made-in-Germany from braided stainless steel, fitted with the proper connections for plug & play installation. You can find the additional wiring harness extension here.
      Last edited by 0-60motorsports; 07-05-2023, 12:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post
        I am thinking of putting into production/selling the SMG bracket with bushings for the pump like OE. This would be for vehicles which have the Bin empty on the passenger side on LHD M3's. it will also accommodate the Radium Engineering catch can setup.

As far as the lines i would buy them from someone like BURKHART. I had them made in Florida when my lines that were provided by a member on the old M3F failed and started leaking. They werent cheap LOL! So someone like Burkhart or any other SMG maintenance parts suppliers will have the lines ready to go. all you will need to do after that is extend your wiring harness and thats not hard to do.

SMG Hydraulic Lines:

https://www.smgsociety.com/product/h...e46-m3-smg-ii/
        Agreed! Same thing happened to me when getting custom SMG lines made locally in Houston lol. Order directly from Burkhart or SMG Society and save yourself the headache of leaking lines. Also, I used the Burkhart SMG fluid which is more viscous than Pentosin, allowing the motor to build pressure about 20% faster than normal. I have used this for a couple of years now without any issues.

Comment

If I were to have custom lines made I would buy them from MRL Engineering. I've just ordered a replacement electric motor and seal kit for the pump assembly. I've read in earlier posts that the motors that they use are the only ones that meet the original spec. that BMW used. I don't know about the seal kits that others offer, but MRL's are made with 100% Viton, so they should last much longer than I will.

Comment

Originally posted by MacCube View Post
            If I were to have custom lines made I would buy them from MRL Engineering. I've just ordered a replacement electric motor and seal kit for the pump assembly. I've read in earlier posts that the motors that they use are the only ones that meet the original spec. that BMW used. I don't know about the seal kits that others offer, but MRL's are made with 100% Viton, so they should last much longer than I will.
            Keep us updated please

Comment

Working...
            X