Direction of bolts on the driveshaft and the transmission flange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Direction of bolts on the driveshaft and the transmission flange

I was watching FCP videos and noticed that the mechanic installed all the bolts in the same direction.

Is that correct?

The instructions that came on my Febi Guibo says to align the arrows with the flange and the bolt should insert from the opposite side. The nut should be on the flange side. At the end, 3 of the 6 nuts and bolts should be in opposite directions. Looking to get confirmation.

My brand new genuine drive shaft came with the bolts on the shaft side.

You wouldn’t be able to install the bolts on the gearbox side the other way there is no room to get them in from behind.

So seems correct to me.
    E46 ///M3 • 12/2002 • phönix-gelb • 6MT
    E39 ///M5 • 12/1998 • avus-blau • 6MT
    E60 ///M5 • 11/2006 • saphir-schwarz • 6MT

Comment

The arrows should point to a flange...bolts can only go in one way.

Comment

Comment on the disc, there is no front/back to the disc, but make sure the arrows line up with flanges, so that when transmission output flange is turning ccw (facing toward front bumper) and transfering energy into the disc, it is compressing the thicker/meatier part of the disc between the holes that attaches to the driveshaft.

Bolts all go in one way, easier to torque/hold the nut if you remove the tranny vibration dampener (hold tranny up with jack, remove the mounting bracket and mounts to slide off the dampener, mount the mounts and mounting bracket back on, then once done torquing the guibo, reverse). A bit more work, but I find piece of mind in doing that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Just for reference:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	p1.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	225007
          Click image for larger version

Name:	p2.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	225008