Best replacement cv axles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best replacement cv axles?

Need to replace my drivers side axle and not seeing much out there.

Any good brand recommendations?

Stock. The only aftermarket option I know of is GSP and that lasted less than 100 miles before the boot tore open.

You can get a stock axle and rebuild it. Just need the boot kit. The outer is a little tricky but not hard. Just a little frustrating and messy.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
      Stock. The only aftermarket option I know of is GSP and that lasted less than 100 miles before the boot tore open.

You can get a stock axle and rebuild it. Just need the boot kit. The outer is a little tricky but not hard. Just a little frustrating and messy.
      You can not buy replacement inner and outer cv joints from bmw only the replacement boots and grease. I need new joints.

Comment

Seems like some good info in this thread at least for inner CV replacement units:

https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...ld-replacement

The actual BMW inner joint appears available as P/N:26117841003 at least according to FCP.

Comment

Originally posted by Riley View Post

You can not buy replacement inner and outer cv joints from bmw only the replacement boots and grease. I need new joints.
          Buy a used axle, replace the bolts and repack with grease.

Comment

Originally posted by PSUEng View Post
            Seems like some good info in this thread at least for inner CV replacement units:

https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...ld-replacement

The actual BMW inner joint appears available as P/N:26117841003 at least according to FCP.

That cv part number you listed is for the driveshaft not axles. Bmw still owns the gkn license for the inner and outer axle joints that’s why there are no oe replacements on the market.
            Last edited by Riley; 07-09-2023, 10:56 AM.

Comment

That cv part number you listed is for the driveshaft not axles. Bmw still owns the gkn license for the axle inner and outer axle joints that’s why there are no oe replacements on the market.
              Ah, yes, my oversight. Thanks for correcting me!

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

Buy a used axle, replace the bolts and repack with grease.
                I feel like buying a used axle is a risk not worth taking. No guarantee a used axle doesn’t have the same wear on the bearings my current ones have.

I see bmw still sells new oem axles but that’s only if you can actually find them in stock. Only aftermarket options i really see are a few very cheap from rock auto with no reviews or really expensive rebuilt ones from driveshaft shop.

Comment

I feel like buying a used axle is a risk not worth taking. No guarantee a used axle doesn’t have the same wear on the bearings my current ones have.

I see bmw still sells new oem axles but that’s only if you can actually find them in stock. Only aftermarket options i really see are a few very cheap from rock auto with no reviews or really expensive rebuilt ones from driveshaft shop.
                  You can also get rebuilt upgraded units from Insane Shafts.
                  Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

I’ve used these. https://www.bmwmdev.com/shop/the-bmw...r-cv-joint-kit

So have some other members. Pretty pleased. The stock ones had quite a bit of play.

Comment

To OP: If you dig around old threads, there is a lot of info that give you some options:

CVJ Axles remanufactured OEM cv axles, steering racks, MB air injection smog pumps, as well as racing and off-road parts.

And the parts tlow98 mentions above.

Comment

Originally posted by tlow98 View Post
                        I’ve used these. https://www.bmwmdev.com/shop/the-bmw...r-cv-joint-kit

So have some other members. Pretty pleased. The stock ones had quite a bit of play.
                        What did you do for outers?

Comment

What did you do for outers?
                          nothing. They wear less (I think…) and aren’t exposed to the exhaust heat as much. As far as I’m aware there are no replacements available for them.

fwiw I felt very little or no play in the outters when I was replacing the inners. Was surprising easy, and fast to do it. Of course, you need to drop the exhaust, etc.
                          Last edited by tlow98; 07-09-2023, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tlow98 View Post

nothing. They wear less (I think…) and aren’t exposed to the exhaust heat as much. As far as I’m aware there are no replacements available for them.

fwiw I felt very little or no play in the outters when I was replacing the inners. Was surprising easy, and fast to do it. Of course, you need to drop the exhaust, etc.
                            Kind of what I figured you were going to say but I was hoping you had another link saved because I haven’t seen any outers anywhere either.

Comment

Originally posted by PSUEng View Post
                              To OP: If you dig around old threads, there is a lot of info that give you some options:

CVJ Axles remanufactured OEM cv axles, steering racks, MB air injection smog pumps, as well as racing and off-road parts.

And the parts tlow98 mentions above.
                              Yea I saw redish has oem ones from time to time not sure if they are still in stock right now but I will see.

Comment

Working...
                              X