No announcement yet.

clutch switch help / code 50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow - thank you! I'll test it out later tonight with the two clutch switches I currently have, which I think are both dead. ECS is overnighting me a replacement, and I'll test that one out too.

Comment

The original clutch switch showed 0's and the replacement one showed 12 and 0. But the replacement one is still not showing "on and off" for switch grip status when key in position 2. Will see what the replacement that is hopefully in a sealed box shows.

I'm happy that it kinda shows that the original clutch switch might indeed be the problem. I would have been more worried if they both exhibited the same behavior for the voltage test.

Wasn't able to test the gear sensor because my probes aren't small enough to get in there. Gonna get some different ones tomorrow.

Will report back on all this to help other folks that stumble across this.

Thanks again for all the comments so far.

Comment

Interesting, that does make it seem like the new clutch switch is indeed working fine and the old one had failed. Could be your gear sensor also failed, but both failing at the same time seems unlikely.

Comment

Yeah. I'll feel much better if the clutch switch that shows up tomorrow shows 12 and 0, and on and off for the status grip switch in key position 2. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post

…If all of the above checks out, but INPA still doesn't appropriately register the switch, then there is either a DME fault or an intermittent failure.

Thanks for the detailed write up! All great to know. Appreciate the pics as well as testing instructions 🤝
            '02 ///M3 Alpine White / Cinnamon 6MT

Comment

A couple of updates.

I tested out the gear sensor with the multimeter, and thankfully, that all seemed fine.

The new clutch switch came in, and this box has been previously opened as well - I give up. I popped it in, and it tested 12 and 0 just fine. But it didn't go on and off for switch grip status in INPA. It's just constantly on. None of the three clutch switches I have in my current position will, except for the first replacement that did it once before I started the car and then never again would show as off (all while in key position 2 for the tests).

Figuring forget the INPA switch grip status, I took the car around the neighborhood. I went entire blocks with the clutch pushed down, in gear, not in gear, while coasting down the block trying to get it to stall. Did this for about 10 minutes and it never stalled and the RPMs seemed pretty steady all throughout.

Pulled in the garage and checked for codes - nada.

So I guess we'll see what happens when I get a chance to go for longer rides in the coming days. The switch grip status thing still bothers me, though. At least I know the original clutch switch was showing 0 and 0, whereas at least these replacement ones are showing 12 and 0. Makes me feel like maybe this is all it is.

I'll be sure to keep this updated if there is anything to share for future readers of this thread!

Comment

Sounds like it’s good to go. Other thing would be to test cruise control. If that works, then the dme should be reading the sensor fine.

Comment

Yep. Really appreciate all the comments. This thread is awesome and helped me a ton, and I'm sure it will help future people that stumble across it.

Comment

Nice - I was fairly certain it was the clutch switch based on your explanation. Glad that did the trick
                    '02 ///M3 Alpine White / Cinnamon 6MT

Comment

Got a lot of driving time today. The car is new'ish to me, and I haven't driven a manual in a long time and am getting back used to rev matching. But, man, I feel like rev matching was so much damn easier today. I don't know if that's a side effect of the new clutch switch or I just rev matched well today. But wanted to throw it out there. Perhaps "crappy rev matching" is a sign that maybe it's not you, it's the clutch switch - hah!

Comment

Is there a way to "hot wire" the status grip portion of the switch like you can with the start/immobilization side?

The car starts and runs just fine, but cruise control is not functioning. INPA is telling me the status grip is not switching.

Comment

Working...
                        X