Vanos noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

Did you take them apart for the rattle kit? Typically, I'd leave the splined shafts alone, but if there is significant play or noise, then it is worth taking apart for a rebuild.
    No. I did everything in the vanos except the rattle kit. I do not really want to do the rattle kit install either. I'd rather give the splined shafts to someone who has done it before.

I'm also debating just buying a used set from eBay but they may have the same issue

Comment

Originally posted by SteelGreyM View Post

No. I did everything in the vanos except the rattle kit. I do not really want to do the rattle kit install either. I'd rather give the splined shafts to someone who has done it before.

I'm also debating just buying a used set from eBay but they may have the same issue
      Did you ask Beisan if you can send it to them for the rebuild? If they can't, someone on the forum, who has done many rattle kit installs, might be able to help you out.

Comment

If I grab these 2 spots and pull them apart while twisting I can feel a “grinding” and resistance.
        I understand now as you didn't say twisting the shaft. The rotation should be smooth and no resistance due to the roller bearing inside, so if it feel grinding and resist, then it's bad. Maybe previous guy had worked on the anti rattle but didn't do it right and the bearing was overloaded due to a wrong spacer (incorrect thickness) and crushed the bearing. I don't think an old stock unit can have this kind of problem.

Comment

If I grab these 2 spots and pull them apart while twisting I can feel a “grinding” and resistance.

I’ll post a video shortly

As far as I can tell the splined shaft receives those forces
          Even when you don’t plan to install the rattle kit from Beisan, it’s still a good idea to open the spline shaft and clean the bearing. They will turn way better after and remove that grinding feeling when turning them with your hands
          2001 BMW E46 M3 Laguna Seca / M-Texture 6mt
          2002 BMW E46 M3 Titanium Silver/Black 6mt
          2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
          2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Comment

Originally posted by Gt4 View Post

Even when you don't plan to install the rattle kit from Beisan, it's still a good idea to open the spline shaft and clean the bearing. They will turn way better after and remove that grinding feeling when turning them with your hands
            Didn't even think about this. I may attempt to do the anti rattle kit myself but a local shop has said they can do it for me if need be. My car has been apart for too long I've finally gotten the motivation to fix it lol. I didn't want ti drive it with that noise

Comment

Working...
            X