Tips for Mounting Rear Diffuser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips for Mounting Rear Diffuser

*I apologize for the pictures but I will try to get some of the inside to show you the missing tab locks.

I recently bought a new carbon fiber rear diffuser since the clear coat on the one that came with the car was peeling and flaking. When removing the old diffuser, I realized the the corner pieces on the bumper side where the tabs of the rear diffuser to lock into had been broken by a previous owner. The old diffuser had been mounted using some sort of adhesive or putty type of goop. Now when I install the new diffuser, the two top corners pop out. And since I pulled off the old one with all of the goop, there is no way of remounting that one for the same reason. I plan on buying a new rear bumper cover at some point but would really like to drive my car until then with out it looking like crap.

Any suggestions or tips on how I can mount the new diffuser until I get a new bumper cover? Thanks.

You could get some of these:

4-Way Adhesive Cable Tie Mounts Self-adhesive cable tie mounts are designed to help mount cable ties directly to a solid surface. Adhesive bases can be attached to metal, plastic, glass, and other clean surfaces. Provide an easy solution to securing cables and staying organized with self-adhesive cable tie mounts. A screw is highly recommended for extra holding strength when used outdoors. Bases are made with acrylic adhesive. The counter-sinked screw hole will not interfere with the cable ties. Features • Superior acrylic adhesive for long term reliability • 4-way cable tie entry makes part orientation fast and easy • Mount sizes include .50" x .50", .75" x .75", 1.125" x 1.125", & 1.50" x 1.50" • UL Listed • Meets UL94V-2 Flammability Classification Benefits • Adhesive backing allows routing of wires and cables where mounting holes cannot be drilled • Secured to the surface by the adhesive tape on the back after the backing paper is peeled off • .75" and 1" mounts may be secured using a self-tapping screw Natural Cable Tie Mounts • Nylon 6/6 - General Purpose Nylon • For indoor use UV Black Cable Tie Mounts • Greater resistance to damage caused by ultraviolet light – indoor or outdoor use • UV Black Nylon 6/6 is used in continuous or extended exposure to outdoor sunlight. • UV Black Cable Tie Mounts are a weather resistant grade, enduring additional ultraviolet (UV) light. • This grade is produced by incorporating stabilizers in the nylon resin. UV Stabilized Nylon cable tie mounts are available only in black.

...which are readily available at the big box hardware stores. Put them on the inside of the diffuser. Then take zip ties and attach the zip ties to whatever you can find that will hold, snug up it, done.

Option 1: They are adhesive backed, which may or may not hold. You could try it with just the adhesive first - clean the inside with isopropyl alcohol really well.

Option 2: If that doesn't hold, you could remove the adhesive backing and use some plastic and & FRP type epoxy to glue it in place. This option is a bit of a pain in the ass for sure, others may have some better ideas.
    Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post
      You could get some of these:

4-Way Adhesive Cable Tie Mounts Self-adhesive cable tie mounts are designed to help mount cable ties directly to a solid surface. Adhesive bases can be attached to metal, plastic, glass, and other clean surfaces. Provide an easy solution to securing cables and staying organized with self-adhesive cable tie mounts. A screw is highly recommended for extra holding strength when used outdoors. Bases are made with acrylic adhesive. The counter-sinked screw hole will not interfere with the cable ties. Features • Superior acrylic adhesive for long term reliability • 4-way cable tie entry makes part orientation fast and easy • Mount sizes include .50" x .50", .75" x .75", 1.125" x 1.125", & 1.50" x 1.50" • UL Listed • Meets UL94V-2 Flammability Classification Benefits • Adhesive backing allows routing of wires and cables where mounting holes cannot be drilled • Secured to the surface by the adhesive tape on the back after the backing paper is peeled off • .75" and 1" mounts may be secured using a self-tapping screw Natural Cable Tie Mounts • Nylon 6/6 - General Purpose Nylon • For indoor use UV Black Cable Tie Mounts • Greater resistance to damage caused by ultraviolet light – indoor or outdoor use • UV Black Nylon 6/6 is used in continuous or extended exposure to outdoor sunlight. • UV Black Cable Tie Mounts are a weather resistant grade, enduring additional ultraviolet (UV) light. • This grade is produced by incorporating stabilizers in the nylon resin. UV Stabilized Nylon cable tie mounts are available only in black.

...which are readily available at the big box hardware stores. Put them on the inside of the diffuser. Then take zip ties and attach the zip ties to whatever you can find that will hold, snug up it, done.

Option 1: They are adhesive backed, which may or may not hold. You could try it with just the adhesive first - clean the inside with isopropyl alcohol really well.

Option 2: If that doesn't hold, you could remove the adhesive backing and use some plastic and & FRP type epoxy to glue it in place. This option is a bit of a pain in the ass for sure, others may have some better ideas.

I appreciate the idea. I will probably give it a shot. I hope it can stick without having to glue it.

Comment

Working...
      X