THE M3 IS GETTING THE ANRI BUILD TREATMENT - Blown headgasket to build thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by George Hill View Post

Just an FYI, BMW published information saying the early M11 bolts were hole specific in regards to the connecting rod location. When I was at the dealer back in 2012 or so I was chatting with an engineer about this and he said that it was necessary and BMW published that in hopes that it would lead to potentially less technician at fault failures during the RB recall.
    This was my take. When I replaced the rod bearings in my S54, I carefully noted and marked each M11 bolt and its matching hole. I documented this on page 188 in my DIY below.

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerfan08 View Post

This was my take. When I replaced the rod bearings in my S54, I carefully noted and marked each M11 bolt and its matching hole. I documented this on page 188 in my DIY below.

Lol forgetting one word completely changed that post. The engineer said it was NOT necessary.

But its still a good practice that I follow.
      '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
      Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
      Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Lol forgetting one word completely changed that post. The engineer said it was NOT necessary.

But its still a good practice that I follow.
        That definitely changed the advice in the post. 😅

Comment

Anri - Man. I have to digest what I’m reading about the rod bearings and these ARP bolts. I did those thinking this was an upgrade that would help PROLONG the rod bearing service. So essentially this is a ton of premature wear that’s gone on because of the lack of resizing of the rods? These will obviously then need to be replaced considering they’re already out of the car. I didn’t even know that would be a thing that would need to be done, as you said ARP hides that detail and is a mere suggestion than it is as mandatory. F man that’s a hard pill to swallow. On another note - The cylinders are looking incredible with the new moly coating, thank you for all these photos. Looking forward to more updates!
          - Jonathan

2004 M3 6MT Carbon Black OEM+ | Vortex Days

Comment

Rods are already taken care of moving forward.

Something else it cough my eye. The previous service source did
            install Geba water pump which is aftermarket.

Not sure what the Geba engineer was thinking when he designed
            the pump impeller but for sure they went all wrong.

I understate the shape of the OEM composite is very hard to achieve
            from casting but the fins suppose to be longer. Instead they made them
            short and not full size at the top. No wander every car I have seen with this pump
            operates hot. Without a doubt this Geba pump increases the temp of the S54.

New Factory pump is arriving on Wednesday.

Moons ago I took a good OEM pump apart as sample when I work on customers
            cars and see they have aftermarket pump I show them how one spent
            money to have the engine destroyed....and Jonathan is number 1455..

Interesting how those who think "Its metal impeller Bro" will last you longer than
            the factory plastic garbage...little do they know.

Enjoy the detail pics how fat, curved and deep the OEM design is !

Regards,
            Anri

Last edited by Anri; 02-01-2024, 06:36 PM.
            https://www.instagram.com/euroclassicmotors/.

www.euroclassicmotors.com

Comment

Are those drillings in the outer rim of the factory impellor for balancing?

Comment

Originally posted by Anri View Post
                Interesting how those who think "Its metal impeller Bro" will last you long time than the factory plastic garbage...little do they know.
                I just had this conversation a couple days ago... the M/S5x plastic impeller issue just won't die. Yes it WAS an issue, if its been replaced it no longer is... I'm with you on the factory pump.
                Last edited by George Hill; 01-30-2024, 07:06 AM.
                '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT

Comment

I just had this conversation a couple days ago... the M/S5x plastic impeller issue just won't die. Yes it WAS an issue, if its been replaced it no longer is... I'm with you on the factory pump.
                  Hill,

See on M50 is different because the Impeller design is
                  very very easy to mimic from metal. Life expectancies
                  on BMW water pumps from my experiment is around ~100k
                  till the Seal starts to leak and coolant gets into the bearing
                  and slowly destroys it. Even there is small channel that separates
                  the coolant and to be thrown away from the bearing and still.
                  If replace the seal on time the pump bearing can keep going
                  but that bloody amount of work is not worth the effort..buy new
                  pump install forget for another 100k

My point is the Impeller design on aftermarket S54 is bad and it
                  contributes to head gasket failure!

Small impeller design are not good for hi revs because they cause
                  aeration/cavitation.

See the pics bellow is from S38 there 2 version of the impeller.
                  The one with the larger blades with more distance in-between is
                  the good one. The other version with dual design is bad and BMW
                  did play with the pulley speed to slow the pump down to prevent
                  cavitation and that is why I favor the initial S38 larger blade design.

Regards,
                  Anri

Last edited by Anri; 01-30-2024, 03:14 PM.

Comment

My point is the Impeller design on aftermarket S54 is bad design and it contributes to head gasket failure!
                    I don't disagree with the above, my point was that the issues of the plastic impellers, that was resolved 20yrs ago, still pushes people to be scared of plastic impellers to this day.

Comment

Rods are already taken care of moving forward.

Something else it cough my eye. The previous service source did
                      install Geba water pump which is aftermarket.

Not sure what the Geba engineer was thinking when he designed
                      the pump impeller but for sure they went all wrong.

I understate the shape of the OEM composite is very hard to achieve
                      from casting but the fins suppose to be longer. Instead they made them
                      short and not full size at the top. No wander every car I have seen with this pump
                      operates hot. Without a doubt this Geba pump increases the temp of the S54.

New Factory pump is arriving on Wednesday.

Moons ago I took a good OEM pump apart as sample when I work on customers
                      cars and see they have aftermarket pump I show them how one spent
                      money to have the engine destroyed....and Jonathan is number 1455..

Interesting how those who think "Its metal impeller Bro" will last you long time than
                      the factory plastic garbage...little do they know.

Enjoy the detail pics how fat, curved and deep the OEM design is !

Regards,
                      Anri

I wasted my money once to buy a Geba water pump just to buy a brand new Genuine BMW water pump a few months later. As soon as it was installed, the car started to overheat on spirited runs. I even went to great lengths to contact Geba regarding their S54 water pump flow rates compared to OE BMW. Needless to say, they didn't want to write back to me after the initial response.
                      2002 M3 Carbon Schwarz/Black 6MT

Comment

Slavik,

Thanks for your reply.

Of course they will not reply...

Regards,
                        Anri

Comment

I don't disagree with the above, my point was that the issues of the plastic impellers, that was resolved 20yrs ago, still pushes people to be scared of plastic impellers to this day.

Yes agree nothing wrong with plastic impeller
                          for 100k miles for sure beyond that the metal
                          impeller will out last it.

Remember even the S54 Composite impeller
                          fails and when they do it causes massive damages and
                          its engine out. https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...ting-out/page2

I have replaces several pumps with broken
                          impeller on enignes with 150+miles driven
                          hard at the track.

Regards,
                          Anri
                          Last edited by Anri; 01-30-2024, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Anri - This is getting out of hand - another thing that's wrong with my engine!? I mean I replaced that pump thinking I was doing the right thing with a metal impeller 15k ago, and this is, in addition to the fan clutch is what caused the HG to go?! F&@#. I'm beyond upset to read this, I have spent thousands trying to stay ahead of maintenance and not have the car break on me and all that it seems that I've paid for are parts that need to be replaced very soon after being installed. I mean I've researched these things, asked opinions of people, shops, and the shop that installed these as making the decision that I was doing OEM+ replacements: ARP bolts for the rod bearings, "better" aftermarket water pump with a metal impeller, etc. but this was clearly wrong. Damn it man I've been trying to do the right thing but clearly there needs to be some updates to the opinions out there. I'll document this on the first page to help people hopefully catch these things to not make the same mistakes I did. 😓🤬
                            - Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by ChapterM3 View Post
                              Anri - This is getting out of hand - another thing that's wrong with my engine!? I mean I replaced that pump thinking I was doing the right thing with a metal impeller 15k ago, and this is, in addition to the fan clutch is what caused the HG to go?! F&@#. I'm beyond upset to read this, I have spent thousands trying to stay ahead of maintenance and not have the car break on me and all that it seems that I've paid for are parts that need to be replaced very soon after being installed. I mean I've researched these things, asked opinions of people, shops, and the shop that installed these as making the decision that I was doing OEM+ replacements: ARP bolts for the rod bearings, "better" aftermarket water pump with a metal impeller, etc. but this was clearly wrong. Damn it man I've been trying to do the right thing but clearly there needs to be some updates to the opinions out there. I'll document this on the first page to help people hopefully catch these things to not make the same mistakes I did. 😓🤬
                              Very well said. " Better than stock" but one can only improve
                              if make the part/s better than the factory. First things first one need
                              to understand the factory Engineering behind and then improve over
                              in most cases by very little down to none.

Regards,
                              Anri

Comment

Very well said. " Better than stock" but one can only improve
                                if make the part/s better than the factory. First things first one need
                                to understand the factory Engineering behind and then improve over
                                in most cases by very little down to none.

Regards,
                                Anri
                                I get that. I wondering to myself how could I have better done that so this wouldn't have happened? I think that for me to fully understand factory engineering I would need to understand engineering itself, which I've never studied, just wrenched on things, broke stuff, and learned from there. How could an M3 owner learn about the factory engineering? Or what else could they do to trust what was being done to their car was actually the right thing to be done besides just blindly trusting a shop that got say 50 5 star reviews on google from people who also didn't understand the engineering behind it? I hope that makes sense. I'm just trying to understand how can I not make these mistakes in the future, as I'm not the only one to put ARP bolts in stock sized rods or used a Geba water pump thinking I was doing "the right thing" for my car.
                                - Jonathan

Comment

Working...
                                X