No announcement yet.

Slon Workshop E46 M3 Carbon Front Triangulating Reinforcement Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Part looks incredible, and TBH, probably pretty expensive to produce. So, the price doesn't strike me as insane. Like others, Id prefer a more OE aesthetic.

That being said, if you spend $5k on a strut bar I have a hard time believing you'd admit that you didn't feel a difference. The torsional rigidity numbers from some other threads feel a little optimistic as well.

Comment

Originally posted by usdmej View Post
      this is one of those parts where, as a general car enthusiast, it makes you want to buy the car its for just so you can install that part
      definitely brings me back to the JDM golden era, where parts coming out for cars were more coveted than the cars themselves
      My favorite part of owning a jdm car. Japanese aftermarket scene is insane.

Comment

Originally posted by discoelk View Post
        Part looks incredible, and TBH, probably pretty expensive to produce. So, the price doesn't strike me as insane. Like others, Id prefer a more OE aesthetic.

That being said, if you spend $5k on a strut bar I have a hard time believing you'd admit that you didn't feel a difference. The torsional rigidity numbers from some other threads feel a little optimistic as well.
        you can be dubious of it’s price, but you can’t be blind to the construction quality or performance benefit. This is the direction the factory has gone for performance in the e90 onward models. The factory doesn’t spend money on R&D for an un-sexy part that doesn’t work. Also, any factory race effort e46 triangulates the towers to the engine firewall, as well. You don’t add weight with tubing on a race car for nothing.

I’ve A/B tested it in an otherwise identically setup car from mine and it feels like a different car. More like the bank-vault e39 than the e46. It changes the character of the car enough that you could certainly re-do some suspension to take greater advantage of the rigidity.

Comment

Originally posted by tlow98 View Post

you can be dubious of it’s price, but you can’t be blind to the construction quality or performance benefit. This is the direction the factory has gone for performance in the e90 onward models. The factory doesn’t spend money on R&D for an un-sexy part that doesn’t work. Also, any factory race effort e46 triangulates the towers to the engine firewall, as well. You don’t add weight with tubing on a race car for nothing.

I’ve A/B tested it in an otherwise identically setup car from mine and it feels like a different car. More like the bank-vault e39 than the e46. It changes the character of the car enough that you could certainly re-do some suspension to take greater advantage of the rigidity.
          Definitely not dogging on the part. It looks incredible. And as I said, the price is to be expected given the quality.

I'm not saying this isn't better than the OEM brace but Im suspicious of any measurable benefits. Race car comparisons are a little irrelevant in this case as cages namely serve to protect the driver and lots of considerations are made. If you feel it makes the car that much better, that's great. People spend $5k on heavy CSL wheels that do nothing for performance. Just my 2c.

Comment

This is not comparable to any "factory race effort." On race cars the bars are directly linked to the cage, not the firewall.

Initial impressions are bound to be overstated after spending that kind of cash. There is no doubt this is in a class of its own for what it is, but the cost to performance ratio is seriously questionable.

And I know I'll get flak for this, but I wouldn't support the Russian economy.

Comment

I think the price is indicative of how many they plan to sell...not a lot. The cost of the part is about 25% of the car's value which most won't accept for a strut bar. The part could be made in aluminum/plastic at the expense of weight and some high end stiffness that most won't be able to feel.

I'm really curious why SLON used aluminum ends at the strut tower. Aluminum galls with steel fasteners...carbon does not. I'd think making it in a single piece simplifies production.

Comment

Originally posted by discoelk View Post

Definitely not dogging on the part. It looks incredible. And as I said, the price is to be expected given the quality.

I'm not saying this isn't better than the OEM brace but Im suspicious of any measurable benefits. Race car comparisons are a little irrelevant in this case as cages namely serve to protect the driver and lots of considerations are made. If you feel it makes the car that much better, that's great. People spend $5k on heavy CSL wheels that do nothing for performance. Just my 2c.
                The person above tlow98 doesn’t have this installed in his car, if you’re looking to eliminate buyer’s bias. Believe what you want, but the math and numbers from a chassis dyno don’t lie! OEM strut brace added 1%, this brace added 20%, it doesn’t get any more measurable than that.

I’ve got nothing to hide, I encourage folks to take mine out for a spin if they’re on the fence. Hopefully this isn’t coming off as defensive, just trying to make sure the most accurate impression is out there for all.
                Last edited by Bry5on; 08-25-2023, 07:20 AM.
                ‘02 332iT / 6 | ‘70 Jaguar XJ6 electric conversion

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

I think the price is indicative of how many they plan to sell...not a lot. The cost of the part is about 25% of the car's value which most won't accept for a strut bar. The part could be made in aluminum/plastic at the expense of weight and some high end stiffness that most won't be able to feel.

I'm really curious why SLON used aluminum ends at the strut tower. Aluminum galls with steel fasteners...carbon does not. I'd think making it in a single piece simplifies production.
                  Re: galling - I wouldn’t worry about the tower ends, they’re hard anodized and the only opportunity for galling is under the heads of the tower fasteners. The threaded holes at the firewall side of the brace have steel inserts pressed in from the back. It’s really rather well thought out.
                  ‘02 332iT / 6 | ‘70 Jaguar XJ6 electric conversion

Comment

Originally posted by 01SG View Post
                    This is not comparable to any "factory race effort." On race cars the bars are directly linked to the cage, not the firewall.

Initial impressions are bound to be overstated after spending that kind of cash. There is no doubt this is in a class of its own for what it is, but the cost to performance ratio is seriously questionable.
                    I think he meant tying the cage to the strut towers. I can't speak to the performance gains, I'd have a hard time believing that anyone can tell the difference on the street but I haven't tried it either.

I can see the benefit of stiffening up the front end on these cars. At least for me, I feel that the car is faster (certainly more fun!) with a sharp front end. I have a carbon radiator support and front reinforcement plate. Both are far stiffer than the OE parts and has maybe made a slight difference. Most important it cut 4 lbs from the front half of the car.

Originally posted by 01SG View Post
                    And I know I'll get flak for this, but I wouldn't support the Russian economy.

This is America land of the free. You do you...f' them if anyone doesn't like it.

Comment

Absolutely beautiful piece. And for those skeptical of rigidity benefits -- there's probably good reason BMW is doing similar stuff in most of their cars since the E46. Like everyone else, I wish it wasn't $5k + install, but you have to pay for quality.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	1,004.9 KB ID:	230590

F80 and G80 are interesting in that the firewall and front clip are braced

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	328
Size:	528.9 KB
ID:	230592

Click image for larger version  Name:	Installing KW H.A.S. Suspension  BMW G80 M3 00-15-24.png Views:	0 Size:	1.09 MB ID:	230591

Comment

I think the price is indicative of how many they plan to sell...not a lot.
                        I tend to agree but people spend $800 to $1200 on rear diffusers that do nothing but look pretty. Spend 5k to 10k on wheels that again, look pretty. Of course those things are "visible" but I wouldn't be surprised if this thing doesn't sell more than what I think. Also, there is an entire market of CF parts for engine bays that do absolutely nothing and add up to thousands and people pay for it.

If I was a serious track guy, I'd own this thing and the rear seat wall thingy in a heart beat.
                        3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

I think he meant tying the cage to the strut towers. I can't speak to the performance gains, I'd have a hard time believing that anyone can tell the difference on the street but I haven't tried it either.

I can see the benefit of stiffening up the front end on these cars. At least for me, I feel that the car is faster (certainly more fun!) with a sharp front end. I have a carbon radiator support and front reinforcement plate. Both are far stiffer than the OE parts and has maybe made a slight difference. Most important it cut 4 lbs from the front half of the car.

This is America land of the free. You do you...f' them if anyone doesn't like it.
                          Do you have a rear x-brace that this the sub frame mounts to each other and the top of the strut towers? I drove my car pre and post that mod and it made the rear end feel like a different car. No more creaking and chassis twist noises entering large elevation driveways.

The front end brace is similar. It changes the car. How you feel about that change is one thing, but it’s a panacea, not a ‘strut’ brace. It triangulates the entire top half of the suspension and firewall. A normal strut brace is very similar to a zero force member - they help, but the lack of meaningful force resistance is kind of laughable. This is not that.

Comment

The part looks awesome, I wish it did look more period correct, but I can get past that too. I'm not ashamed to admit that my car is very much a budget setup and I can't justify the price, though I'd love to have it.

I agree tying the towers into the firewall has its benefits. Could the same or similar results be had for less cost? I.E. something like the Z4 setup that Terra posted above?

With all of that said does it make the car faster (on track)? I'm really looking forward to seeing Obioban feedback from on track driving and hopefully with some data to compare with previous laps. I feel like this would be easy to achieve by removing it and comparing with a data logger.

Or does it just change the driving experience? Not bashing changing the driving experience either, I can tell you that I have 225s on my ZHP right now (refinishing the style 135s) and it is so much fun to drive around town with a small tire on it so there is absolutely something to be said for that.
                            '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
                            Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
                            Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Is there anyone else who even makes a 3-point triangulated brace for the front?
                              http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                              '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                              '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by George Hill View Post
                                The part looks awesome, I wish it did look more period correct, but I can get past that too. I'm not ashamed to admit that my car is very much a budget setup and I can't justify the price, though I'd love to have it.

I agree tying the towers into the firewall has its benefits. Could the same or similar results be had for less cost? I.E. something like the Z4 setup that Terra posted above?

With all of that said does it make the car faster (on track)? I'm really looking forward to seeing Obioban feedback from on track driving and hopefully with some data to compare with previous laps. I feel like this would be easy to achieve by removing it and comparing with a data logger.

Or does it just change the driving experience? Not bashing changing the driving experience either, I can tell you that I have 225s on my ZHP right now (refinishing the style 135s) and it is so much fun to drive around town with a small tire on it so there is absolutely something to be said for that.
                                Yeah I was wondering about that. I'd be totally okay with steel bars going to the firewall.. but I think part of the problem is you can't really get away without a modified cabin filter housing, and that is probably similar in complexity (if not moreso) as producing a CSL airbox. And for a low volume thing, I imagine making a mold for plastic is actually even more difficult.

Comment

Working...
                                X