No announcement yet.

What's a good option for fog lights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I put pre facelift zkws in my facelift car cause I liked the clear look vs fluted. Not sure on price differential.

Click image for larger version

Name:	countylinee46 (4).jpg
Views:	254
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	232809
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

I cracked one of my originals on track so replaced them both with ZKW. Surprisingly big clarity difference even at only 45k miles. ZKW was the same as the OE BMW that came out as far as I could tell. About $100 each from FCP a couple years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
        I put pre facelift zkws in my facelift car cause I liked the clear look vs fluted. Not sure on price differential.

Click image for larger version

Name:	countylinee46 (4).jpg
Views:	254
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	232809
        I didn’t know fluted was only on LCI models. I prefer the clear lenses too so definitely going that route.

Comment

Tyler, I believe all E46 M3s came with fluted. My 2001 originally had fluted but I switched to ZKW clear around 2009.

Comment

No, 01-03s came with clear lensed fog lights and updated 03.5-06 came with fluted.

Yours were changed by one of the previous owners.
            2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
              No, 01-03s came with clear lensed fog lights and updated 03.5-06 came with fluted.

Yours were changed by one of the previous owners.
              Very interesting. Thanks for this!

Comment

Whatever you do, don't get the Zivas. I have them because I had a trip coming up, had a cracked fog, and the BMW ones were out of stock.

The Zivas are terrible. Very poor/flimsy adjusters, they bounce around over bumps, and the light pattern isn't good - hot spots and inconsistent light dispersion pattern, etc.

They. Are. Terrible.
                Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post

Whatever you do, don't get the Zivas. I have them because I had a trip coming up, had a cracked fog, and the BMW ones were out of stock.

The Zivas are terrible. Very poor/flimsy adjusters, they bounce around over bumps, and the light pattern isn't good - hot spots and inconsistent light dispersion pattern, etc.

They. Are. Terrible.
                  Thanks for the insight and this is exactly the type of feedback I was looking for. Going with ZKWs.

Comment

Check out Morimoto, they make an OEM+ level replacement with high-quality LED's and drivers. I did not need the resistors. Light output, sharpness, and appearance were all upgraded significantly.

Our XB LED Fog Lights output 2400 Lumens and are 100% Plug-n-Play for your BMW E46 & E39. Exceptional Materials. Exceptional Performance. Morimoto

Comment

Like most fog lights, the Morimoto fog lights are pretty much useless. If I were to do it again, I would have just got OEM fog lights to replace my old pitted ones. And never use them, just like I never use the Morimoto fog lights.
                      2003 Imola Red M3 w/ SMG

Comment

Here's something that I almost did. I may still end up doing it because it looks damn near OEM and fogs are easy to play around with.

E46 FX-R retrofit + Projector fogs (bimmerforums.com)
                        Last edited by c watson; 09-13-2023, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X