Any luck at junkyards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any luck at junkyards?

Has anyone had luck in their home city finding m3’s or any e46’s in general at their local junk yard (for pulling parts?). I’m in the Houston surrounding areas and haven’t been to one in a decade but when I used to frequent this places I never saw bmw’s or Mercedes just sitting there waiting for parts to get picked…..seemed like the junkyard management would strip them out and put all the parts on eBay. All I saw laying around for picking were old 90’s American cars, Saturns, Buicks, fords chevys etc

just wondering what everyone’s experience has been finding our cars at these places. Just looking for small replacement trim pieces etc…..not looking to get a 4.10 diff or anything fancy lol

With the advent of copart and specialized strippers/sellers on ebay I've not seen a single M3 in a junk yard anywhere close to my area but I quit looking years ago. Perhaps larger metropolitan areas are different.
    3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

If one was ever in Lincoln, NE there would be line of people. Even non-m E46's are fairly rare and are picked clean very quickly at my local junkyard.

I imagine in CA junkyards it may be different, seems like 60% of the M3s live in CA.
      2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
      Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
      Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
      RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
      Instagram

Comment

Tons of BMWs, never any M cars. They're worth too much in parts to end up in junk yards.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
        2012 LMB/Black 128i
        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

never seen an M3 at a junkyard but plenty of normal E46s.
          be careful on pulling any interior parts though, a lot of them have been weather exposed and, depending on your standards, not worth transferring to your car.

Comment

In houston there are a bunch of dismantlers that scoop them up. Be very wary of what you buy. Extreme caution is advised.

Comment

Ive seen a few m3's in the junkyard but they were stripped shells. Lots of e46s though. Ive picked so much stuff.

This is in So Cal

Comment

The only real deals you can find are parts that are on both m3 and 323ci, for example
                DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

I've had alerts set up for a couple of years now for the Pick n Pulls here in the PNW. Not one M3. If you have ever been to a PnP, you got to get there before the buzzards do.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
                    In houston there are a bunch of dismantlers that scoop them up. Be very wary of what you buy. Extreme caution is advised.
                    im in Houston area….that’s a pretty stern warning…can you elaborate a bit more? Any recommendations on where to go (even if it’s just regular e46’s)

Comment

You drive an m3 and you're looking for parts at the local pick a part?

Smh...
                      2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
                        You drive an m3 and you're looking for parts at the local pick a part?

Smh...
                        There is literally nothing to gain by thinking you're above parts from a scrapyard. There are so many generic parts across all of the E46 range that there is no reason to not get used for a fraction of the price. I've probably saved thousands over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoglan View Post

There is literally nothing to gain by thinking you're above parts from a scrapyard. There are so many generic parts across all of the E46 range that there is no reason to not get used for a fraction of the price. I've probably saved thousands over the years.
                          Sure there is; literally time, patience, and energy all of which are far more valuable than a few bucks. That is, unless you don't value those things then I suppose it's worth it.

There are also forum classifieds and ebay so I can't imagine the need for anyone to ever visit a junkyard. In fact, this thread is proof positive that there is no need because clearly people are surviving without doing so.​
                          2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post

Sure there is; literally time, patience, and energy all of which are far more valuable than a few bucks. That is, unless you don't value those things then I suppose it's worth it.

There are also forum classifieds and ebay so I can't imagine the need for anyone to ever visit a junkyard. In fact, this thread is proof positive that there is no need because clearly people are surviving without doing so.​
                            Maybe you're just old I actually enjoy picking through the cars and getting the good bits, I can think of so many parts on my car that would have cost 10x what they did if I had got them from anywhere else. Seat rails, door trims, exhaust for my 330ti compact build, sway bars, anything small enough to fit in your pockets is basically free. Not to mention the environmental benefit of reusing stuff otherwise destined for the tip if you're into that.
                            Different for you guys in the states but ebay is usually pointless for me once you factor in shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoglan View Post

Maybe you're just old I actually enjoy picking through the cars and getting the good bits, I can think of so many parts on my car that would have cost 10x what they did if I had got them from anywhere else. Seat rails, door trims, exhaust for my 330ti compact build, sway bars, anything small enough to fit in your pockets is basically free. Not to mention the environmental benefit of reusing stuff otherwise destined for the tip if you're into that.
                              Different for you guys in the states but ebay is usually pointless for me once you factor in shipping.
                              I can respect that.

Yeah bro it's different here, lots of vultures 😂

Comment

Working...
                              X