Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else find the stock seat aggravates their Sciatic nerves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else find the stock seat aggravates their Sciatic nerves?

I don't know if unique to just me but since I've had this car, if I sit more than half an hour in the seat, I begin to get some terrible discomfort in my legs which from speaking to docs seems like my sciatic nerves. Ironically, it doesn't not happen in any other car I've sat in. I have tried adjusting it but to no avail so I am thinking of just going to some Recaro Sporsters or Cobras. Obviously I want to sit in those and make sure I am not experiencing the same pain. I was just curious if anyone else experienced this?

Originally posted by ViN View Post
    I don't know if unique to just me but since I've had this car, if I sit more than half an hour in the seat, I begin to get some terrible discomfort in my legs which from speaking to docs seems like my sciatic nerves. Ironically, it doesn't not happen in any other car I've sat in. I have tried adjusting it but to no avail so I am thinking of just going to some Recaro Sporsters or Cobras. Obviously I want to sit in those and make sure I am not experiencing the same pain. I was just curious if anyone else experienced this?
    Do you sit with a wallet/phone in your back pocket?

Comment

😳 I’m guessing you have something along the lines of these cushions below to augment your M3’s seat....

If not man, maybe research a few along with their customer feedback comments, and spend a few bucks. Hell, a seat & lumbar cushion will run you the cost of a good lap dance at Fritz’s (Katella & I-5, southeast corner 🤣)... I’m thinking it might be money well spent... Click image for larger version

Name:	277562DA-1254-4CBB-B856-7CBE52DFDF7A.jpeg
Views:	301
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	23407

Comment

Never had that issue. The non-M non-sport sears gave me terrible back pain, but nothing here.

Can you describe the sensation? I feel like it’d be pretty atypical to compress both of your sciatics at the same time. Has this been happening for as long as you owned the car?

Comment

No back issues to speak of, however I do find myself often having to "crack" my knee (rocking it back and forth until it pops) when working the clutch in start/stop traffic.
          2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
          Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
          Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
          RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
          Instagram

Comment

im not a doctor or anything, but if you are experiencing sciatic pain from a certain position, your body is probably out of alignment. You need to get a few adjustments, strengthen your back muscles and you should be alright.
            • 2006 AW/IR Manual
            • Karbonius Race / Alpha- N
            • Supersprint
            • KW V3
            • 996 Brembo
            • ZCP / PSS

Comment

I'm not giving this as real medical advice, but bilateral neuropathy is enough of a red flag symptom in my mind that I'd want some imaging.

Comment

I find the stock seats fairly uncomfortable as well, it doesn't bother my sciatic nerves, but just more that they're not very comfortable. For me, I just feel I can never find the right position, up down, forward back, meh. Not a problem in my e93m3 nor my dads f80m3 competition - which btw has fantastic seats. I'll try the Nagaros at some point...
                Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread
                Japanrot Red E46 330i Msport k24/dct/turbo Build Thread

Comment

I don't really suffer from any sort of physical ailments and never had any issues with sciatica but for when I am sitting in this particular seat. I know that sounds odd but I honestly never had any issues with this. I'd like to think I am in fair physical shape. After about 30 minutes, it's basically a shooting pain with numbness down from just below my butt down my hamstrings into my lower leg. Goes away in about 20 to 30 min after walking and stretching. I have a Saab 92X Aero and I drove that car to Canada multiple times and have no issues whatsoever. I think I am going to yank at least the driver's seat and try one of the aftermarket seats. Obviously, I want to make sure I test those before investing in one. Thanks for the suggestions.

Comment

For a given episode, is it one leg or both? That's the difference between "eh try a different seat or sitting a little differently" and "You should probably get an MRI of your spine sooner than later"

Comment

Yes, my legs hurt after an hour or so in this car. The comfort seats in my touring are much better when it comes to this.

Comment

My non-lumbar seats aren’t that comfortable and definitely cause some lower back tightness on trips over 30 minutes, but no shooting pains. My E39 M5 seats are much, much better and I’ve had two E46 sedans with sport lumbar seats that were much better too. Nogaros should be here soon ...

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post
                          For a given episode, is it one leg or both? That's the difference between "eh try a different seat or sitting a little differently" and "You should probably get an MRI of your spine sooner than later"
                          I had one done and nothing out of the ordinary showed up. He seems to think it's the position of the seat/design that might be putting pressure that is causing that. I think since I haven't been able to replicate that pain sitting at home, work, or in other cars, he has sort of narrowed it down to that seat. I want to take a drive to Stable Energies and sit in some of their seats and see if one suits me better.

Comment

Stock seats are terrible

Comment

I found the worn out stock seats terribly uncomfortable. But when I sold my CSL seats I picked up a super mint, low mileage interior, and I will say that the seats are pretty comfortable. I do get a litte numbness in my right leg if I sit on my wallet for long trips, but that is gone just by taking it out of my pocket.
                              2003 Carbon Black - Karbonious CSL intake, CSL DME w/MAP, SSV1 headers/Catted Section1/63.5mm Section2, Shrick 280/272 cams, Lang Racing Stage 1 cylinder head, Eibach Pro Street S Coilovers (500#F/600#R), GC Sways, AutoSolutions SSK, Motorsport 3.91 rear diff, BBS RGR wheels, Streamline CSL front bumper

Comment

Working...
                              X