No announcement yet.

Bedding Brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PFC guys suspect that the rotors are softer than the PFC 08 pads especially since the older rotors do not spark. I'm going to try to get them analyzed via a spectrometer to determine their composition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Ma13tt View Post
      PFC guys suspect that the rotors are softer than the PFC 08 pads especially since the older rotors do not spark. I'm going to try to get them analyzed via a spectrometer to determine their composition.

That is not good for Girodisc. Now that I think about it, my buddy had a bad vibration issue with Girodisc replacements with Pagids. He ended up getting Stoptech rings.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

That is not good for Girodisc. Now that I think about it, my buddy had a bad vibration issue with Girodisc replacements with Pagids. He ended up getting Stoptech rings.
        Agreed. Was thinking of using them next time I needed rings. Not so sure now.

PFC08s are supposed to be fairly easy on rotors at least when they are up to temp.

Comment

Spoiler. GiroDisc is making rotors for Stoptech now. I guess Stoptech got bought and I heard through the grapevine that GiroDisc will be making their rotors under the name Stoptech. Brake accordingly. Lol

Comment

Spoiler. GiroDisc is making rotors for Stoptech now. I guess Stoptech got bought and I heard through the grapevine that GiroDisc will be making their rotors under the name Stoptech. Brake accordingly. Lol

Stoptech was bought out a looooong time ago by Centric. Not sure if there was another buyout. I know Centric has been having all sorts of issues. There is a patent with the Stoptech rotors so not sure how easy it is to have someone else start making your patented rotors.

Comment

Stoptech was bought out a looooong time ago by Centric. Not sure if there was another buyout. I know Centric has been having all sorts of issues. There is a patent with the Stoptech rotors so not sure how easy it is to have someone else start making your patented rotors.
              Anyone hear anything bad about AP? Maybe time to switch my brakes.

Comment

Bad? No. For a street car - stupidly overkill/poseur jewelry. For a dedicated track car - if you have overwhelmed the stock calipers in some way - then its a good, if expensive choice. Have you overwhelmed the stock calipers ? (I only know one way to do that). What problem are you trying to solve?

If you seriously hammering on the car, some have gotten AP caliper deflection, leading to pad tapering on track. I would only expect this on a dedicated, non-street track car.

Comment

My car is a dedicated track car. I bought 6yrs ago It had Stoptech st40 with PFC08 compound. It's all I know. I was just trying to update the front rotors and 4th of July happened.

Comment

No. I went Stoptech mostly because of cost. Pads and rotors last a lot longer so consumable costs are much lower long-term.

Comment

My car is a dedicated track car. I bought 6yrs ago It had Stoptech st40 with PFC08 compound. It's all I know. I was just trying to update the front rotors and 4th of July happened.

ST rings last for years, especially on lightened/dedicated track cars. What made you look at Girodiscs?

Bummer about metallurgy in Girodiscs, they make a properly cooled rotor for the crowd that wants to stay on 996 front setup...

Sent from my SM-S911U1 using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
                        ST rings last for years, especially on lightened/dedicated track cars. What made you look at Girodiscs?

Bummer about metallurgy in Girodiscs, they make a properly cooled rotor for the crowd that wants to stay on 996 front setup...

Sent from my SM-S911U1 using Tapatalk
                        I called up Bimmerworld to buy new rotors. They didn't have Stoptech in stock. He recommended GiroDisc because he wasn't sure when he would get more Stoptech. He also stated that GiroDisc is making rotors for Stoptech. I didn't think this could happen. I'm not sure what lesson I learned but I have a good video.

Comment

I just placed an order for stoptech rings, we will see if it gets cancelled.

Comment

Why not run the PFC V3 rotors? Lighter than the GiroDisc and StopTech counterparts. I haven't had any issues with them yet.
                            2002 M3 Carbon Schwarz/Black 6MT

Comment

I'm hoping Girodisc chimes in or gives the OP an explanation. In case this goes downhill has anyone tried these?

Rotor Ring (Slotted) - EVO 8-9 FRONT Surface Mount (racingbrake.com)

Comment

I'm hoping Girodisc chimes in or gives the OP an explanation. In case this goes downhill has anyone tried these?

Rotor Ring (Slotted) - EVO 8-9 FRONT Surface Mount (racingbrake.com)
                                I'm interested. PFC has a Rotor Ring as well but they have patent hat that goes with them. It's interesting

Comment

Working...
                                X