No announcement yet.

Homelink 4.0 (Security+ 2.0) upgrade for Homelink mirrors and ceiling modules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY: Homelink 4.0 (Security+ 2.0) upgrade for Homelink mirrors and ceiling modules

Stealing this from blackknight530i here, because it's too useful to not repost/share: https://www.m5board.com/threads/home...others.617663/

For those having issues with the Homelink 3.0 (stock e38/e39/e53/e46) module not opening Liftmaster/Chamberlain garage doors from about 2008+, I found a really good solution to this and have tested it myself and verified it works in both my 2003 M5 and my 2005 Range Rover. In the 2011+ or so 5-series and 7-series cars (probably others as well), the homelink mirror was updated to version 4.0, which is Security+ 2.0 compatible. Thing is, the module inside the mirror is identical in shape, wiring location, and function as the older 3.0 modules and can be swapped in. I bought a 2011 5-series mirror with homelink (part number 51169224345), cracked open the casing on the mirror, and removed the module.

If you look at this comparison, the Homelink 4.0 module is on the top and the Homelink 3.0 is on the bottom (out of an e39 ceiling module).​

Click image for larger version  Name:	1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	349.1 KB ID:	235077

Click image for larger version  Name:	2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	321.9 KB ID:	235078

The only changes that need to be made to convert the E39 ceiling module is to swap the 3 pin white plug (ceiling module has a couple of screws that won't be used anymore) and desolder the ribbon cable from the buttons on the board (heat gun and careful lifting and also using a soldering iron to help heat the existing solder while lifting will make this happen pretty easily), then solder the buttons from the ceiling module to the Homelink 4.0 module. It helps to put some new solder on the pads of the Homelink 4.0 module before trying to solder the old ribbon cable to it. Placement is not super critical, but you do need to at least make sure that the pads line up with the traces on the ribbon. I found it helps to leave a bit of the pads exposed at the edge of the ribbon so you can use the soldering iron to heat them up when placing the ribbon. This is because the ribbon itself blocks a ton of heat and won't allow it to heat up the solder well through it.

Once done, you program your original garage door remote to the Homelink as normal with no extra steps other than holding it close to the module and pressing both buttons. I had a ton of issues with getting the repeater working with some of my cars, so this was the solution on both my Range Rover (easier since it had a Homelink Mirror and I only needed to swap the module without doing any soldering) and my M5. I also bought a Homelink 4.0 module for my Cayman S, but haven't swapped it in yet to try it.​

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

I did a similar upgrade back in 2017, but I don't think I even considered swapping the ceiling homelink module.

I purchased this car in 2014 from a knowledgeable enthusiast in the Chicago suburbs. I talked on the phone with him about the car for hours and he provided tons of detailed pictures and information on the car., which eased my qualms of traveling so far to purchase a used car. The car had driven less than 30k miles, and was
    2003 Imola Red M3 w/ SMG

Comment

This is something that I’ve been using for several years now and works great. The Homelink Compatibility Bridge Kit. http://www.homelinkestore.com/Produc...ridge-Kit.html It basically takes the signal from the cars opener and uses it to activate the door, like a wall switch would do.

Comment

I'm building a house right now, and speced my garage door openers to work with pre 2011 HomeLink... since every car I have interest in owning is from before that era

... but this mod is appealing to me still. My parents have a deer fence with power gate, and the gate remote is too new to work with old HomeLink-- so I end up carrying a remote, to get into their house.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
        2012 LMB/Black 128i
        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by MacCube View Post
          This is something that I’ve been using for several years now and works great. The Homelink Compatibility Bridge Kit. http://www.homelinkestore.com/Produc...ridge-Kit.html It basically takes the signal from the cars opener and uses it to activate the door, like a wall switch would do.
          I had the bridge myself and it would work on just my e39 M5, but I couldn't get it to work on my 05 Range Rover or my 06 Cayman S. I did this mod on the M5 and Range Rover and both allow you to use the original remote from the opener without any bridge and worked flawlessly immediately. If you only have one car and you can get the bridge to work, great, but if you are in a situation like I am, this mod works great. I was able to buy a much newer opener module for my Cayman S from a newer Audi that is Homelink 4.0 compatible, but I haven't installed it yet. Pretty sure it will work great too though. Much more options in the VAG world I think since they all use the same modules in the bumper.

Comment

It wasn’t until you post this thread that I realized that the cars Homelink could even be updated. At the time I was just happy to have found the bridge. Updating my car is now on my to do list of upgrades. Thank you.

Comment

I have the OEM homelink module in my M3, and my Chamberlain opener is probably 10yrs old now. When we bought this house, the M3 and E83 X3 wouldn't work with the opener so Homelink sent me a plug in repeater/extender/interface "thingy" for free, and now all is good. Is that maybe an alternative here, or is something else being addressed in this thread?

Comment

Working...
              X