Which Spring Company is Best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Spring Company is Best?

BLUF: I'm in need of some 850lb/in 2.5" ID 6" springs and have a few questions.

1. Can anyone recommend a specific company or spring type? I'm seeking the best combination of quality and performance.
    2. Is there a company among the options that manufactures their springs in-house? I'd like to know if this contributes to better quality control.
    3. Has anyone had experiences with these companies' customer service when purchasing springs?
    4. If anyone has prior experiences, please share them; your insights would be greatly appreciated.

Springs are pretty generic. So long as you get something from a name brand, you'll be fine.

Generally I check Swift, Vogtland, and Eibach when trying to find a spring to my specific spec.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Swift > Eibach > Hyperco

This is just one silly man's opinion
      2004 Dinan S3-R M3
      2012 Dinan S1 X5M

Comment

Where does H&R sit?

Comment

H&R is good, about on par with Hyperco

There's a reason most coilovers use Swift as their "upgrade"

2004 Dinan S3-R M3
          2012 Dinan S1 X5M

Comment

You can't really go wrong with Eibach.

All else being equal, the greater stroke, lighter weight springs will probably be sacrificing fatigue life. Does it matter for our cars realistically? Probably not.

I'm not sure I buy Swift's claims of 'feeling' any different. The spring has a particular rate that can be measured. Where is the different feel coming from?

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post
              I'm not sure I buy Swift's claims of 'feeling' any different. The spring has a particular rate that can be measured. Where is the different feel coming from?
              There is more to spring behavior than just F=kx
              Supposedly their metallurgy is different, which can allow for different geometry, wire thickness, blah blah blah
              Whether or not that would make a difference, who knows? 🤷‍♂️
              In our cars, there's probably too much compliance in the rubber bushings alone for any differences in springs to be noticeable.

Comment

Originally posted by elbert View Post

There is more to spring behavior than just F=kx
                Supposedly their metallurgy is different, which can allow for different geometry, wire thickness, blah blah blah
                Whether or not that would make a difference, who knows? 🤷‍♂️
                In our cars, there's probably too much compliance in the rubber bushings alone for any differences in springs to be noticeable.
                I could see if you're comparing different valve springs, for example, where the inertia, resonance, and fatigue are absolutely critical. But a shock spring?

The main benefit of Swift is they usually have a little more travel and that's often a pretty limiting factor. I am sure there is some tradeoff to using a higher pitch spring to get that extra travel, or everyone would be doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post
                  The main benefit of Swift is they usually have a little more travel and that's often a pretty limiting factor. I am sure there is some tradeoff to using a higher pitch spring to get that extra travel, or everyone would be doing it.
                  I get the impression that, compared to other high quality springs, Swift springs don't take as kindly to being run near max compression. They're the only brand that publishes separate specs for "usable" and "max" stroke, which sometimes differ considerably. "Max stroke" is the mechanical limit, but "usable stroke" is the limit they really want you to adhere to, because going past it too much risks permanent deformation.

I started with Swift springs on my Öhlins kit and and realized I needed much more spring stroke up front than the 7" springs I had (foolishly in retrospect) selected. Swift had an 8" spring that might have worked; it had a half-inch margin between "usable" and "max" stroke specs. Hyperco's equivalent actually had a hair more max stroke, and their guidance about usable stroke travel was basically "eh, try to keep it under 80% of max, but... really just don't coil bind a lot and it'll be fine." Eibach had nothing. So, Hyperco it was.

If it weren't for that, 100% chance I'd still be on Swift springs.
                  Last edited by IamFODI; 10-02-2023, 12:23 PM.
                  2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
                  Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
                  Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Comment

Suspension - Swift Springs dynoed - Well I posted on another thread that I would in detail explain the substantial difference between Swift springs, and all other springs. So here it is. I really don't know where to start with this but Ill just jump into it. I have tested out many different types of suspension...

Comment

iirc, Hyperco only sells them in pairs because they're tested and matched in sets.
                      "your BMW has how many miles!?"

2003 (2/03) M3 coupe Imolarot/Black 6 M/T - JRZ RS One 450/550 - Ground Control Street - SDW RTAB - TMS Street ARCA - Redish V2 - TMS solid subframe bushings - Volk Racing G2 18x9.5 - StopTech ST40 355 (coming soon) - Beisan Systems VANOS parts - WPC OE rod bearings - Karbonius CSL airbox - Kassel MSS54HP DME - Kassel MAP sensor - Euro headers and Section 1 - SuperSprint Sport - Recaro Speed - Schroth Rallye 4 QF - AS 30% SSK

build/journal
                      ig: @zzyzx85

Comment

I hope people click this link.

I couldn't find one single company that has outperformed Swift springs in any categories that I have stated
                        -weight
                        -stroke
                        -spring rate accuracy

This is why I use Swift spring in every single coilover in every single car I own.​

There's not that many companies that actually wind springs. If I'm not mistaken Eibach makes the springs for Ohlins.

Honestly, it's unlikely that many of us are pushing our cars to the point where you are going to notice the difference in your coilover spring quality... but I'm sure you crazy dudes are out there somewhere.
                        2004 Dinan S3-R M3
                        2012 Dinan S1 X5M

Comment

I thought Swift was the industry standard.

but these would be 🔥

The carbon composite disc spring or carbon composite bellows spring (CCBS) is a system of carbon fiber elements that work as a lightweight,…
                          Last edited by bigjae46; 09-28-2023, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Does swift make springs that will fit 2.25” perch?

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post
                              Does swift make springs that will fit 2.25” perch?
                              60mm ID springs maybe?
                              2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
                              Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
                              Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Comment

Working...
                              X