Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Flatride' street coilover kit recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Flatride' street coilover kit recommendations?

I am in the market for coilovers that will offer reasonably comfortable ride quality, silent operation and the ability to run 13.5" F 13.25" R ride height while maintaining decent bump travel.

If I can find camber plates that add bump travel but don't make any noise (spring binding, clunky bearings, etc) I will add them to the mix and run approx -2.2 camber. Maybe Ground Control Hybrid or Turner street.

I plan to add larger aftermarket adjustable anti-roll bars as needed to fine tune the handling balance.

Are there any good quality street coilovers that come out of the box with 'flatride' spring rates, under $3k? I don't mind if the springs are progressive because this is a street car that will never see the track.

So far my list includes KW V2, Bilstein PSS10, H&R Street Performance, Ohlins R&T (likely too uncomfortable) and Ground Control Koni singles. Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.

If you're gonna buy the H&R street performance might as well send it over to FCM who brought flat ride to our attention and him build it your needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Cronenberged View Post
      If you're gonna buy the H&R street performance might as well send it over to FCM who brought flat ride to our attention and him build it your needs.
      That would be nice but likely above my $3k budget for street coilovers.

Is it verified that KW V2 and V3 kits have 300/550 springs? That must be close to flatride at typical speeds?

"To me the V3's are a solid choice because they are externally adjustable, gas pressurized, stainless steel, are shortened bodies (to retain bump travel on a lowered vehicle, but could also be run near stock height), and have a wide adjustment range. The springs could easily be changed to whatever rates you want and the dampers could accommodate within a reasonable range of rates. But I think the stock spring rates are damn near on the money - 300lb/in front and 550lb/in rear."

Comment

FCM had two tiers to pricing, one around 2500 and the other 4k.

If you get KWs don't get anything less than V3. Use the flat ride excel and put your corner weights in to get your spring recommendation. You can always go softer if you want.

Comment

"Flatride" is just one piece of the puzzle. The size of that piece depends on what your priorities are. I wouldn't base my entire suspension choice around it.

KW V3 springs are dual rate but at ride height they are 290/550. This means the front is actually about 5% stiffer in the front than the rear.

Comment

Originally posted by Cronenberged View Post
            FCM had two tiers to pricing, one around 2500 and the other 4k.

If you get KWs don't get anything less than V3. Use the flat ride excel and put your corner weights in to get your spring recommendation. You can always go softer if you want.
            Keep in mind KW will not do custom valving on V2/V3's. They will be happy to rebuild them, but won't do custom valving unless you have a set of clubsports. They will also NOT sell parts to yourmomssuspensiontuning.com or you for that matter, they don't want anybody else changing the valving or working on them.
            E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
            Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

Ohlins are not uncomfortable, if you run them in the very narrow window of ride heights they function correctly in.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
              2012 LMB/Black 128i
              2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

TC Kline sells their SA or DAs with 300/600 springs to achieve a flat ride. I also removed the rear sway bar for a more balanced FRC with this combo - otherwise the car with have too much oversteer on turn in.
                2006 M3 ZCP coupe, jet black on black, 6 speed
                2001 325xi wagon, red on beige, 5 speed

Comment

Working...
                X