Shifter Selector Rod Coupler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shifter Selector Rod Coupler

So I am installing an Auto Solutions SSK and am stuck removing the existing dowel pin on the sector rod coupler. The ring clip is removed, as is the exhaust and driveshaft. I tried pushing with an Allen wrench from the bottom, bent a drift punch hitting it with hammer, the dowel pin doesn't want to move. I also sprayed it with some penetrating fluid, no change. Am I missing something?

Thanks
    Jonathan

No, you should be able to punch the pin out after the spring clip is removed unless things are corroded.
    Last edited by Slideways; 10-01-2023, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 90mtx View Post
      I tried pushing with an Allen wrench from the bottom, bent a drift punch hitting it with hammer, the dowel pin doesn't want to move.
      How did you support the rod when pushing or hammering on the drift on the pin? No support can cause damage to the oil seal or bent rod, or even crack the case.

I would try to use a nut or sleeve as spacer on one side of the pin, then with a short pin on the other side, press the pin in using a visa grip on the pin and spacer.

Use a very short pin for more stable, just to make the rusted pin to break loose.

Comment

With the transmission in the car, don't think there's enough room to squeeze it out with vise grips and a nut or spacer. I was thinking about doing that at one point. And I didn't think about supporting the selector rod, thanks. I will soak it with PB blaster for a few days. It shouldn't matter what position the selector rod is in, neutral, reverse, etc as there is no tension in the dowel. It's just locating the coupler to the shaft, correct?

Thanks
        Jonathan

Comment

I thought that pin was slightly cone shaped and would only go in/out 1 way? But I do remember shortening a very small screw and taping it to the mouth of a big set of pliers to squeeze it out yes.

Regards

Comment

I think I used a 1/4 socket torques bit and was able to push it out from the top with the trans in the car with a lot of swearing.
            E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
            Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by 90mtx View Post
              It shouldn't matter what position the selector rod is in, neutral, reverse, etc as there is no tension in the dowel. It's just locating the coupler to the shaft, correct?
              I would have it in neutral for zero tension on anything even if it's rotating or moving during the process. But it should be ok in any other positions.

Comment

The pin had a lot of corrosion on it, nothing that PB Blaster couldn't take care of. And a longer punch to push instead of hammering. Wasn't easy, but the new Auto Solutions SSK is in! Thanks for the help.

Jonathan

Comment

Working...
                X