Referral Request: Gauge Cluster Repair Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Referral Request: Gauge Cluster Repair Service

Hey Group - looking for a reputable company to send my cluster off to get the stepper motors replaced. Circuit Board Medics and Kassell Performance are the two I could find doing some researching on the forums. Anyone use a cluster repair company recently and have referral?

A business in Southern California that offers this service would be a huge bonus but Iā€™m happy to ship it off. Quality work is my main objective.

Thanks in advance šŸ¤
    '02 ///M3 Alpine White / Cinnamon 6MT

I sent mine off to Automotive Circuit Solutions to fix the ambient temp sensor problem. A bit pricey but I have a 100% cluster again and it seems they treated it with care.

Comment

These folks are well known and used in Mercedes circles... https://www.programainc.com/item_lis...&idcategory=47

BMW M3 Instrument Clusters look like $270.

maw

Comment

Originally posted by nahvkolaj View Post
        I sent mine off to Automotive Circuit Solutions to fix the ambient temp sensor problem. A bit pricey but I have a 100% cluster again and it seems they treated it with care.
        Thank you! Appreciate the recommendation.

Originally posted by maw1124 View Post
        These folks are well known and used in Mercedes circles... https://www.programainc.com/item_lis...&idcategory=47

BMW M3 Instrument Clusters look like $270.

maw

ā€‹Thank you, Maw - I'll do some research on them.

Comment

Originally posted by AWE46M3 View Post

ā€‹Thank you, Maw - I'll do some research on them.
          I should say, theyā€™re also reasonable to talk to on the phone, will give you a sense of what goes wrong with them, what they end up replacing, etc. All classic and simple stuff as a general rule. Itā€™s a computer board, what can go wrong? Solder, capacitors, what else? They know and donā€™t mind telling you what youā€™re paying for, may even be able to trouble shoot.

maw

Comment

Another option is just swapping clusters. It's super easy to pull the EEPROM chip which holds the mileage/vin/programming off and hot-air solder the chip to another cluster. My daughter's e46 cluster stopped working and I was able to swap the chip to another cluster and popped it back into the car and everything worked perfectly as expected. No coding is needed.
            E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
            Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

I used Circuit Board Medics and would recommend them.

Comment

Originally posted by liam821 View Post
                Another option is just swapping clusters. It's super easy to pull the EEPROM chip which holds the mileage/vin/programming off and hot-air solder the chip to another cluster. My daughter's e46 cluster stopped working and I was able to swap the chip to another cluster and popped it back into the car and everything worked perfectly as expected. No coding is needed.
                Thanks for mentioning that, Liam! I looked into a spare cluster and believe the price to get it repaired could be comparable with no guarantees the used cluster could hold up for another 20+ years. Hoping to refresh the cluster so line new internals to reset the clock on those needles doing their thing.

Originally posted by BMWE46M3 View Post
                I used Circuit Board Medics and would recommend them.
                Got my initial recommendation from a thread you commented in. You sent you cluster off to them for your coolant needle, right? I did the cluster reset but the needle keeps migrating to the right after a few drive cycles. Time to fix it for good!

Comment

Hit up this guy, he's cheap and competent. He does everything.

Fixels, Charlotte, North Carolina. 12,916 likes · 1 talking about this. Fixels is a company that focuses on repairing automotive electronic modules, mostly from BMW currently. The biggest repair is...

Palo Alto Speedometer did my cluster, but they don't normally work on BMW clusters.

This guy in San Diego has been doing clusters for 20+ years.
                  Speedometer and Tachometer Repair
                  2004 Dinan S3-R M3
                  2012 Dinan S1 X5M

Comment

There's a guy that does this in SoCal. He wasn't pleasant to work with and there was a bunch of dust on the inside of my cluster when I got it back. He was the cheapest I could find at the time ($200~ total), so may or may not be worth it for you if you can deal with the personality and know how to disassemble the cluster slightly to clean.
                    Last edited by bran.stum; 10-02-2023, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bran.stum View Post
                      There's a guy that does this in SoCal. He wasn't pleasant to work with and there was a bunch of dust on the inside of my cluster when I got it back. He was the cheapest I could find at the time ($200~ total), so may or may not be worth it for you if you can deal with the personality and know how to disassemble the cluster slightly to clean.
                      You talking about this guy? https://www.bmwgm5.com/default_right.htm

was very unpleasant to work with when I had him fix mine haha

Comment

Found the receipt for the service I mentioned above. Automotive Circuit Solutions was $200 + shipping 1-way (from me to them).

Edit: clarity
                        Last edited by nahvkolaj; 10-03-2023, 04:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ejendow View Post

You talking about this guy? https://www.bmwgm5.com/default_right.htm

was very unpleasant to work with when I had him fix mine haha
                          That's the one lol. He copped an attitude right after I sent my cluster out, so I just had to deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by 9kracing View Post
                            Hit up this guy, he's cheap and competent. He does everything.

Fixels, Charlotte, North Carolina. 12,916 likes · 1 talking about this. Fixels is a company that focuses on repairing automotive electronic modules, mostly from BMW currently. The biggest repair is...

Palo Alto Speedometer did my cluster, but they don't normally work on BMW clusters.

This guy in San Diego has been doing clusters for 20+ years.
                            http://www.foreignspeedoinc.com/

Thanks for both of those recommendations. Glad one is relatively close to mitigate damage to and from the vendor. Appreciate your input.

Originally posted by nahvkolaj View Post
                            Automotive Circuit Solutions was $200 + shipping 1-way (from me to them).
                            Another one for Automotive Circuit Solutions - thank you. What did you have them fix for you?
                            ā€‹

Comment

Originally posted by bran.stum View Post
                              hahaha Scott from GM5. I spoke to him yesterday - I figured he had so much business he could give a shit if I sent him my cluster or not. Wish I had a business endeavor where I could treat protective customers this way šŸ¤£

Comment

Working...
                              X