Vorsteiner parts are now available!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
    Looks like absolute trash save the boot which is a pure rep. Hood's ok, if you want vents for a track car.

IDK the front bumper isn't bad.

And the rear diffuser would actually look better with the stock trunk, due to the flat lines.

It's not for me, but I do appreciate them coming out with new parts for our 20 years old cars.
    2004 Dinan S3-R M3
    2012 Dinan S1 X5M

Comment

What information do you all need?

It is a composite part, not much of a mystery how they are made. Lay it up, pull a vacuum and cure. Pre-preg or infusions yield similar results. Although pre-preg is much easier to work with and will typically yield less weave distortion around complex curves. And these parts are not structural (maybe where the trunk and hood bolt up to the hinges) so the curing process is not critical (autoclave vs over vs room temp).

Composite tooling wears. The curing process causes contraction and expansion which will eventually cause a mold to produce parts that are not dimensionally accurate. The materials and quality of the tool or mold will dictate how many parts you can pull. Polyester is common which has a much higher shrink rate vs epoxy. Fiberglass chop mat is the reinforcement - not compatible with epoxy so must use cloth with epoxy. If they used an epoxy/carbon mold then it would last a lot longer BUT...it would cost 5x more to make. That factors into the price and then people would complain.

If I were Vorsteiner...I'd tell people on this forum two things about how I make the parts...jack and shit. There's intellectual property involved so really its none of our business.

Comment

Appreciate their efforts but probably not. It isn't even that I don't like the stuff, looks nice and all that but the price point is a bit beyond what I'm in the market for since I'm not a track rat and shooting for the removal of every last ounce.
        3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
          What information do you all need?

If I were Vorsteiner...I'd tell people on this forum two things about how I make the parts...jack and shit. There's intellectual property involved so really its none of our business.

they need to give information that's pertinent to the BUYER. for example, how much lighter is the hood over stock? can it be used without hoodpins? not all of us on the forum are trying to replicate parts as a side business

Comment

Originally posted by usdmej View Post

they need to give information that's pertinent to the BUYER. for example, how much lighter is the hood over stock? can it be used without hoodpins? not all of us on the forum are trying to replicate parts as a side business
            The hood is on the car without hood pins in the pic. I think it is safe to assume that the hood does not require hood pins.

Lighter vs stock...ok, I guess. It won't be much lighter since these are as much for bling and to impress guys than weight loss. Its two sided and there also needs to be quite a bit more reinforcement to prevent the hood from fluttering at high speeds. I'm making a hood with a 600gsm layup and it will flutter. I calculate the hood should weigh about 7-7.5 lbs. I'd guess a 1200gsm layup and an underside structure would prevent that - now you're looking at about 15-ish lbs.

The AJ Hartman carbon hood is the lighted one I've seen but it does require hood pins.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	240221

Just looked at this for the first time.

... Woof.

The hood isn't the worst thing I've ever seen (not that I cosmetically prefer it to stock), but those wheel and side gills are straight out of the pep boys catalog.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
              2012 LMB/Black 128i
              2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Not only that, but they want $1500 fucking dollars for those side grills.... wtf, are they made of Panda?
                2004 Dinan S3-R M3
                2012 Dinan S1 X5M

Comment

Lighter vs stock...ok, I guess. It won't be much lighter

for $3k+ it'd be nice to not have to make assumptions on those kinds of details thats the point i was trying to make.
                  Karbonius claims their hood is 9 lbs lighter than stock (although their data sheet claims only 5 lbs lighter)
                  Slon claims their hood is 10 lbs lighter than stock but they dont ship hoods stateside so moot point for most guys here

Comment

Originally posted by usdmej View Post

for $3k+ it'd be nice to not have to make assumptions on those kinds of details thats the point i was trying to make.
                    Karbonius claims their hood is 9 lbs lighter than stock (although their data sheet claims only 5 lbs lighter)
                    Slon claims their hood is 10 lbs lighter than stock but they dont ship hoods stateside so moot point for most guys here
                    Fair enough. Stock is about 22 lbs.

If it’s for a track car - AJ Hartman is the way to go. He eliminates most of the underside structure. I think his is 9lbs and the hood comes clear coated. Does require hood pins.

Comment

Originally posted by 9kracing View Post
                      Not only that, but they want $1500 fucking dollars for those side grills.... wtf, are they made of Panda?
                      Jeebus batman. I didn't even notice the price of those mother blankers. Holyyyyy crap. Well boys we've hit the big time, when side grills sell for 15 hundo we're hobnobbing with the Ferrari crowd from here out. Excuse me for a while as I need to polish the car yet again.
                      3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post

Jeebus batman. I didn't even notice the price of those mother blankers. Holyyyyy crap. Well boys we've hit the big time, when side grills sell for 15 hundo we're hobnobbing with the Ferrari crowd from here out. Excuse me for a while as I need to polish the car yet again.
                        Guess I might have to wash the car at least once before the year ends

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                        2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

I must be in the minority, but I think the stock car looks much better. Not a fan of the CSL trunk or diffuser. It's not as cohesive and slick. And, after all, these are all simply cosmetic mods with virtually no impact on the drive.

Comment

Originally posted by 01SG View Post
                            I must be in the minority, but I think the stock car looks much better. Not a fan of the CSL trunk or diffuser. It's not as cohesive and slick. And, after all, these are all simply cosmetic mods with virtually no impact on the drive.
                            The CSL does have less lift, front and rear— so not 100% cosmetic.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                            2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by 01SG View Post
                              I like the diffuser and wheels better. Agree on the rest of the exterior. The only CSL part I like on the interior are the seats.

Comment

I like the diffuser and wheels better. Agree on the rest of the exterior. The only CSL part I like on the interior are the seats.
                                No harness holes

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                                2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Working...
                                X