Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chase Bays PS Kit Feedback and Install Pics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chase Bays PS Kit Feedback and Install Pics?

Looking to pickup one of these and know some users on the old forum had the kit but with those resources gone, I'm looking for new info. Chase Bays doesn't seem to provide a ton of info on how their kit integrates into the E46 M3 in terms of mounting locations and what gets replaced, etc.

It appears their kit replaces items 3, 9, and 12 from the realoem diagram below and cuts it down to 3 simple connections. What's a little confusing is what justifies the need for the power steering cooler option based on your usage. With the removal of the OEM cooling coil (#12 below) I would imagine this would justify the need for Chase's power steering cooler, but wanted everyone's take. My car is dual purpose street/track, about 50/50 usage for each. I have never had serious issues with the stock setup other than notorious weeps, so just trying to figure whether the cooler is overkill or actually essential with the removal of the oem cooling coil?

Also if anyone has pics of the Chase Bays setup installed on their E46 M3 that would be awesome!

https://www.chasebays.com/collection...21196562694222
    Attached Files
    2003 E46 M3 TiAg/Cinnamon 6MT
    2005 E46 330i ZHP Imola/Sand

| Karbonius | Schrick | Supertech | Volk | Recaro | FCM | SuperSprint | Turner | Hyperco | GC | PFC | VAC | OMP | Radium Engineering | MPRacing |

Instagram:@thegenius46m

NorCal DME Programming and Coding Expert

I'll take photos tonight. I just installed the kit and very pleased with it. Here's what Johnny at Chase Bays told me over email regarding the cooler:
    The cooler isn't needed in many applications so you may want to just try it out and leave it as is. What kind of driving are you doing? If it is normal daily driving I would say it definitely isn't a necessity but if you are racing road courses you may want to consider adding it. There should be plenty of airflow even with the tray but you may need to modify the mounting to fit it above the tray. We haven't mounted it with the under tray before.

I went with the cooler option for flexibility in the future.
    '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post
      I'll take photos tonight. I just installed the kit and very pleased with it. Here's what Johnny at Chase Bays told me over email regarding the cooler:
      The cooler isn't needed in many applications so you may want to just try it out and leave it as is. What kind of driving are you doing? If it is normal daily driving I would say it definitely isn't a necessity but if you are racing road courses you may want to consider adding it. There should be plenty of airflow even with the tray but you may need to modify the mounting to fit it above the tray. We haven't mounted it with the under tray before.

I went with the cooler option for flexibility in the future.
      Would appreciate that! So this kit replaces the entire stock ps system, correct? I have a few leaking lines and want to confirm if I'm able to ditch it all with this lol. Agree the cooler might be worthwhile now for future. If you wouldn't mind posting pics of how everything is routed and mounted, that would be awesome! Thanks

| Karbonius | Schrick | Supertech | Volk | Recaro | FCM | SuperSprint | Turner | Hyperco | GC | PFC | VAC | OMP | Radium Engineering | MPRacing |

Comment

I deleted the OEM oil cooler and expansion loop on my track car. I'd think you're more likely to need the cooler on a street car since you're turning the wheel a lot more. On the track, you're not really using a ton of steering and you're generally moving at much higher speeds.

I'd think you'd need the cooler if it sees auto--x or drifting.

Comment

I’ve just ordered this kit and plan to install it this weekend. I went with the kit with the cooler and I believe it replaces all oem hoses. The cooler mounts to the steering rack in place of the hose loop. Both kits remove the stock cooler.

Comment

Here are photos from the way I chose to install. A few notes:
            - This install includes the cooler option from CB (+$100). If you don't use a cooler, you will get a short line to go from 'rack out' to 'reservoir'
            - Hose routing is up to you but lengths are sufficient for a few options
            - Everything you see is included with the CB kit except for tools to drill/tap the rack boss, a small clamp and the fluid level indicator on the reservoir.
            - The cooler isn't specifically designed to fit amongst factory parts but with the way I mounted, everything fits well, including the plastic underside tray. I think you could skip drilling/tapping step, and ziptie the cooler to the rack directly. Not as clean but effective.
            - I capped off the empty factory PS cooler loop in the radiator assembly with some plastic plugs. You could tape off, or just leave open but keeping dust/debris out seemed prudent for whatever the future may bring.
            - There is banjo fitting with a check ball inside on the 'rack in' connection with the factory lines. With the CB kit, no check mechanism is necessary due to the design of the reservoir, per Johnny at CB. I was skeptical but I've got 500 miles on this setup and its works flawlessly and no pump noise.

Happy to answer any other questions.
            '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Here are photos from the way I chose to install. A few notes:
              - This install includes the cooler option from CB (+$100). If you don't use a cooler, you will get a short line to go from 'rack out' to 'reservoir'
              - Hose routing is up to you but lengths are sufficient for a few options
              - Everything you see is included with the CB kit except for tools to drill/tap the rack boss, a small clamp and the fluid level indicator on the reservoir.
              - The cooler isn't specifically designed to fit amongst factory parts but with the way I mounted, everything fits well, including the plastic underside tray. I think you could skip drilling/tapping step, and ziptie the cooler to the rack directly. Not as clean but effective.
              - I capped off the empty factory PS cooler loop in the radiator assembly with some plastic plugs. You could tape off, or just leave open but keeping dust/debris out seemed prudent for whatever the future may bring.
              - There is banjo fitting with a check ball inside on the 'rack in' connection with the factory lines. With the CB kit, no check mechanism is necessary due to the design of the reservoir, per Johnny at CB. I was skeptical but I've got 500 miles on this setup and its works flawlessly and no pump noise.

Happy to answer any other questions.
              Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for! Where did you order that spare clamp btw?

Comment

Originally posted by thegenius46m View Post

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for! Where did you order that spare clamp btw?
                Happy to help. Clamp is 5/8" ID and I got it from McMaster-Carr: https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/126/1689

PS - Johnny from CB pointed out that some racks from the factory already have that 2nd boss tapped. So it sounds like you either get lucky or unlucky in that respect.

PPS - in my mind, the value proposition is no-brainer for a one-time PS system refresh. You'll spend close to $300 refreshing the factory hoses and other bits. The stock reservoir is always going to seep fluid through the vent and then later, through the swage fittings. For that same $300, get a leak-free free system or pay $100 dollars more to handle any situation (w/ cooling).

Comment

Most refresh kits are close to $400. Mine has a slow leak and would need to replace within the year. While this is my daily driver i wfh 2 days a week. Last year i put 7500 miles on my car. I dont track the car and I maybe go on mountain runs 2 - 4 times a year. Any reason to get the cooler for extra $100?

Comment

Happy to help. Clamp is 5/8" ID and I got it from McMaster-Carr: https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/126/1689

PS - Johnny from CB pointed out that some racks from the factory already have that 2nd boss tapped. So it sounds like you either get lucky or unlucky in that respect.

PPS - in my mind, the value proposition is no-brainer for a one-time PS system refresh. You'll spend close to $300 refreshing the factory hoses and other bits. The stock reservoir is always going to seep fluid through the vent and then later, through the swage fittings. For that same $300, get a leak-free free system or pay $100 dollars more to handle any situation (w/ cooling).
                    EXACTLY!

Comment

This looks like a nice kit. I've seen other aftermarket solutions using standard AN fittings as opposed to crimps, but they really aren't up to the high-side pressures in PS systems. I rolled my own with a cooler a couple years ago, but ended up using the stock HP line for that reason. If I did it again today, I'd strongly consider getting this set.

Having said that, with the cooler inline I don't get any appreciable seeping from the stock reservoir anymore, and the HP line will get FCPEuro'd as soon as it starts leaking (which it inevitably will.)

Comment

I just got around to installing this kit last weekend. Since I put a new rack and a new pump in my car, it was the right time to change the hoses.

All components look to be well made and of good quality. I did go for this kit since these hoses have a mesh on the outside preventing extension under pressure.

While I was installing there were some minor and major points:

1. Fittings cannot be tightened with metric tools. This requires some fiddling with adjustable wrenches, which i do not like. It is a minor point, but it is a european car so everything should be metric and outside of the US people just don't have a set of SAE tools (I am located in Germany).

2. No instructions is not a problem on this one. The way the hoses connect to the tank, pump, rack and cooler is pretty ovbious.

3. Leaks. The hose going from the steering rack to the pump is giving me quite a bit of headaches. On the pump connecting side, the thread of the connector is made too long, so when fully tightened the seal ring can still be moved by touching it. Did not anticipate this, and gave the motor a start after installing everything, imagine the mess. Also noticed when fixing it that the seal ring is less thick than the OEM one, but even the old OEM ring not be thick enough it would still be loose when fully tightened. To get it working temporarily I stacked two new rings and got it tight, but I hate that kind of band-aiding. Connector to the rack on that hose is also not sealed, which got better by using another o-ring, but still sweating. As said, only one hose giving me issues, everything else works.

4. This kit uses overall less fluid than stock and the cooler (while being a more effective design) is at a less optimal spot than OEM (which gets cool air before it hits the radiator) so the system probably gets hotter than stock. Considering that VDA standards state OEM parts must work from -40°C to 90°C environment temps, you will likely survive with less than OEM cooling ability. On the plus, less pipe length and less fluid means less weight.

I will get around to fixing it in probably three weeks or so, which also includes machining down one connector to get it to tighten without two using 2 sealing rings which is easily doable, but annoying. I wanted plug and play which it was not.

If it still gives me issues after the next round of fixing, I am going back to stock or I will make my own hoses/connectors...

Comment

i decided to just get their reservoir and all oem lines from FCP Euro. I just read a lot of horror stories with AN lines and figured OEM works well enoug, and now have a lifetime wareanty lol.

I also followed the diy by Volke and reduced the PS pump pressure to prevent line seepage later. It also made the steering heavier but in a good way.

Comment

would this system be expected to increase steering resistance? ive done the volke mod to "50%" reduction but would like a bit more resistance still.

Comment

what mod are you guys talking about? any link please?
                              2003 AW/BLK 6MT - Instagram

Comment

Working...
                              X