Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chase Bays PS Kit Feedback and Install Pics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://www.chasebays.com/collection...w-e46-m3-w-s54

They've always seemed a little too drift bro for me, but their products look solid. I've never looked at their reservoir in person but I'd be curious about the design.
    '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by Altaran View Post
      I just got around to installing this kit last weekend. Since I put a new rack and a new pump in my car, it was the right time to change the hoses.

All components look to be well made and of good quality. I did go for this kit since these hoses have a mesh on the outside preventing extension under pressure.

While I was installing there were some minor and major points:

1. Fittings cannot be tightened with metric tools. This requires some fiddling with adjustable wrenches, which i do not like. It is a minor point, but it is a european car so everything should be metric and outside of the US people just don't have a set of SAE tools (I am located in Germany).

2. No instructions is not a problem on this one. The way the hoses connect to the tank, pump, rack and cooler is pretty ovbious.

3. Leaks. The hose going from the steering rack to the pump is giving me quite a bit of headaches. On the pump connecting side, the thread of the connector is made too long, so when fully tightened the seal ring can still be moved by touching it. Did not anticipate this, and gave the motor a start after installing everything, imagine the mess. Also noticed when fixing it that the seal ring is less thick than the OEM one, but even the old OEM ring not be thick enough it would still be loose when fully tightened. To get it working temporarily I stacked two new rings and got it tight, but I hate that kind of band-aiding. Connector to the rack on that hose is also not sealed, which got better by using another o-ring, but still sweating. As said, only one hose giving me issues, everything else works.

4. This kit uses overall less fluid than stock and the cooler (while being a more effective design) is at a less optimal spot than OEM (which gets cool air before it hits the radiator) so the system probably gets hotter than stock. Considering that VDA standards state OEM parts must work from -40°C to 90°C environment temps, you will likely survive with less than OEM cooling ability. On the plus, less pipe length and less fluid means less weight.

I will get around to fixing it in probably three weeks or so, which also includes machining down one connector to get it to tighten without two using 2 sealing rings which is easily doable, but annoying. I wanted plug and play which it was not.

If it still gives me issues after the next round of fixing, I am going back to stock or I will make my own hoses/connectors...
      Have you reached out to Chase Bays? Curious what they have to say. I still haven't done this kit, but want to very soon if the issues get sorted.
      2003 E46 M3 TiAg/Cinnamon 6MT
      2005 E46 330i ZHP Imola/Sand

| Karbonius | Schrick | Supertech | Volk | Recaro | FCM | SuperSprint | Turner | Hyperco | GC | PFC | VAC | OMP | Radium Engineering | MPRacing |

Instagram:@thegenius46m

NorCal DME Programming and Coding Expert

Comment

Originally posted by Zekarus View Post
        what mod are you guys talking about? any link please?
        I see a lot of misinformation regarding steering modifications being passed around Facebook groups and forums almost daily, so I’ve decided to put together this information thread to correct the many misconceptions, and to compile a comprehensive database for steering rack swaps and power steering modifications. The

He really breaks down all the different steering racks and the diy procedure to decrease the pump pressure. You have to order his custom washers to work with it though.

Comment

Originally posted by F1Dryvr View Post
          would this system be expected to increase steering resistance? ive done the volke mod to "50%" reduction but would like a bit more resistance still.
          I don't think chasebays would affect steering weight. Maybe you could go in and add another washer for 62.5%?

Comment

Originally posted by thegenius46m View Post

Have you reached out to Chase Bays? Curious what they have to say. I still haven't done this kit, but want to very soon if the issues get sorted.
            Not yet, but definitely will. I'll post an update once I have their response.

Comment

Originally posted by Altaran View Post
              I just got around to installing this kit last weekend. Since I put a new rack and a new pump in my car, it was the right time to change the hoses.

All components look to be well made and of good quality. I did go for this kit since these hoses have a mesh on the outside preventing extension under pressure.

While I was installing there were some minor and major points:

1. Fittings cannot be tightened with metric tools. This requires some fiddling with adjustable wrenches, which i do not like. It is a minor point, but it is a european car so everything should be metric and outside of the US people just don't have a set of SAE tools (I am located in Germany).

2. No instructions is not a problem on this one. The way the hoses connect to the tank, pump, rack and cooler is pretty ovbious.

3. Leaks. The hose going from the steering rack to the pump is giving me quite a bit of headaches. On the pump connecting side, the thread of the connector is made too long, so when fully tightened the seal ring can still be moved by touching it. Did not anticipate this, and gave the motor a start after installing everything, imagine the mess. Also noticed when fixing it that the seal ring is less thick than the OEM one, but even the old OEM ring not be thick enough it would still be loose when fully tightened. To get it working temporarily I stacked two new rings and got it tight, but I hate that kind of band-aiding. Connector to the rack on that hose is also not sealed, which got better by using another o-ring, but still sweating. As said, only one hose giving me issues, everything else works.

4. This kit uses overall less fluid than stock and the cooler (while being a more effective design) is at a less optimal spot than OEM (which gets cool air before it hits the radiator) so the system probably gets hotter than stock. Considering that VDA standards state OEM parts must work from -40°C to 90°C environment temps, you will likely survive with less than OEM cooling ability. On the plus, less pipe length and less fluid means less weight.

I will get around to fixing it in probably three weeks or so, which also includes machining down one connector to get it to tighten without two using 2 sealing rings which is easily doable, but annoying. I wanted plug and play which it was not.

If it still gives me issues after the next round of fixing, I am going back to stock or I will make my own hoses/connectors...
              I finally finished my install today... I dont have the cooler. I agree with you. What should have been a straightforward install caused me quite a grief. The Leaks was very annoying and not having a set of AN wrench set made this install a lot harder than it should be. I had an adjustable wrench but we all know how hard to use something like that with such a tight space.

Comment

Chase Bays got back to me. They recently increase their thread lengths, but this does not work with all pumps in circulation.

They are sending me new fittings. I also ordered a box of new seal rings and some PTFE band...

I will probably work on the car again starting thursday next week. After I am done, drive it and inspect afterwards, I will let you know how it went.

Comment

I am considering this kit. Any updates Altaran?

Jesse
                  Old, not obsolete.

Comment

would this system be expected to increase steering resistance? ive done the volke mod to "50%" reduction but would like a bit more resistance still.

It does not. I have a similar setup as Chase Bay - eliminated the expansion loop and cooler.

I wish I could get a little more reduction too. Maybe 75%...that would be perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I think it's more of a solution to fix leaking return lines (super common BMW problem) and stop the tank from overflowing when a lot of effort is put into the steering (auto-x/drift) and the PS fluid foams and occupies more space than the reservoir has space.

Comment

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post
                        Here are photos from the way I chose to install. A few notes:
                        - This install includes the cooler option from CB (+$100). If you don't use a cooler, you will get a short line to go from 'rack out' to 'reservoir'
                        - Hose routing is up to you but lengths are sufficient for a few options
                        - Everything you see is included with the CB kit except for tools to drill/tap the rack boss, a small clamp and the fluid level indicator on the reservoir.
                        - The cooler isn't specifically designed to fit amongst factory parts but with the way I mounted, everything fits well, including the plastic underside tray. I think you could skip drilling/tapping step, and ziptie the cooler to the rack directly. Not as clean but effective.
                        - I capped off the empty factory PS cooler loop in the radiator assembly with some plastic plugs. You could tape off, or just leave open but keeping dust/debris out seemed prudent for whatever the future may bring.
                        - There is banjo fitting with a check ball inside on the 'rack in' connection with the factory lines. With the CB kit, no check mechanism is necessary due to the design of the reservoir, per Johnny at CB. I was skeptical but I've got 500 miles on this setup and its works flawlessly and no pump noise.

Happy to answer any other questions.
                        Update related to red text above: I started to develop pump whine during low speed maneuvering. I was then determined to re-install the banjo bolt with check ball, which is easy to do by purchasing a 14mm banjo to -6AN adapter ($12). I shared progress with Johnny who said yes indeed, they have discovered that with the E46 M3 the check mechanism is often needed. They either offer now or plan to offer the same adapter I purchased.

No more whining noise, happy to say.
                        '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Update related to red text above: I started to develop pump whine during low speed maneuvering. I was then determined to re-install the banjo bolt with check ball, which is easy to do by purchasing a 14mm banjo to -6AN adapter ($12). I shared progress with Johnny who said yes indeed, they have discovered that with the E46 M3 the check mechanism is often needed. They either offer now or plan to offer the same adapter I purchased.

No more whining noise, happy to say.
                          I installed their kit as well and have terrible pump whine, would you mind sharing a link to where you found the adapter? Now to figure out what I did with the check valve 😐

Comment

Couple photos of my install, the only "complaint" I have is the line from the reservoir to the pump is a bit tight and tightening the connections was a bit of a PITA. Can confirm the cooler fits under all the OEM belly pan components.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200208_153352.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	62176
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	20200208_153203.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	62177

Comment

Originally posted by TwoD View Post

I installed their kit as well and have terrible pump whine, would you mind sharing a link to where you found the adapter? Now to figure out what I did with the check valve 😐
                              Price has gone up slightly but this seller was extremely quick with shipping: https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Fuel...2799082&sr=8-2
                              '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Price has gone up slightly but this seller was extremely quick with shipping: https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Fuel...2799082&sr=8-2
                                Thanks, got one on the way.

Comment

Working...
                                X