Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OE Front Bumper without freight shipping charge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OE Front Bumper without freight shipping charge?

Hi all, I’m trying to source a brand new OE front bumper cover as cheaply as I can, and have noticed that anywhere I try and order from adds in a $250-$300 freight shipping charge.. does anyone know of anywhere I can get one that isn’t charging this, or is it just the nature of the beast?

Get one from the dealership, I got a Euro bumper for $718 from the dealer about a week ago. It would seem the US bumper is about $100 more on the major sites vs. a Euro bumper, but you don't have the potential issues of the Euro bumper fitment.
    Mine fit fine after the 4 unnecessary tabs were ground off.
    2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
    Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
    Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
    RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
    Instagram

Comment

Yep. If you have a BMW dealer local to you, call 'em up and see if they'll order you one. Direct them to a competitor website and see if they'll price match.

I ordered one from my local dealer in NC. It shipped from Germany to the dealer and they didn't charge me shipping as I picked it up in person. Several others on the forum have done this. A brand new Genuine BMW Euro bumper cost me $591.30 in Dec 2021.

EDIT: Ha, what Cubieman said! Was replying when he was apparently.
      Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Unfortunately, every dealer I called in the LA area had super high prices (~$950-$1150 for US bumper vs ~$650 on getbmwparts.com, and ~$633 for front passenger fender vs ~$400 on getbmwparts.com) and refused to do any price matching. It will actually work out much cheaper to order from getbmwparts.com and pay the $270 freight shipping charge, it looks like.

Unless anyone knows a specific dealer in the area that'll price match?

It's crazy how expensive body panels for our cars are getting
        Last edited by ATB88; 10-16-2023, 11:35 AM.

Comment

thebmwminipartstore.com has it for $639 and I believe its a dealer located in Az, much closed to California so shipping might be cheaper.

Might be worth a look.

Comment

BTW, what the difference between the US and euro bumpers? Lack of side marker lights?

Comment

Originally posted by R1pilot View Post
              BTW, what the difference between the US and euro bumpers? Lack of side marker lights?
              Yeah, that's the only difference as far as I know. I honestly personally like the contrast of the orange side markers against carbon black paint, but I think I'm weird and in the minority on that

Thanks for the suggestion on thebmwminipartsstore, but I've checked all of these online bmw parts places that are fronted by dealership, and shipping starts at $270 no matter where in the US it's coming from Actually, thebmwminipartsstore said they won't even ship to me -- some of these places are pickup only for large pieces.

EDIT: on the other hand, thebmwminipartsstore has the best shipping quote I've seen on the fender -- $80, making it $480 all in pre-tax, which is great. Most places are quoting $200+ to ship the fender. Really wish they'd ship the bumper too!
              Last edited by ATB88; 10-16-2023, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Get it from bmwpartswarehouse and pick up in San Francisco.

Comment

Originally posted by ATB88 View Post
                  Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Unfortunately, every dealer I called in the LA area had super high prices (~$950-$1150 for US bumper vs ~$650 on getbmwparts.com, and ~$633 for front passenger fender vs ~$400 on getbmwparts.com) and refused to do any price matching. It will actually work out much cheaper to order from getbmwparts.com and pay the $270 freight shipping charge, it looks like.

Unless anyone knows a specific dealer in the area that'll price match?

It's crazy how expensive body panels for our cars are getting

This - CA dealers don’t give a shit about online prices. They are 30-50% higher than online prices consistently and don’t care. Moreover, most of them won’t order euro parts anymore.
                  '02 ///M3 Alpine White / Cinnamon 6MT

Comment

A bumper might be too big but I've flown Southwest to get a part, check it in as baggage, and fly back. I've used points or just planned around a low cost day. You're in LA...shouldn't be hard to find a cheap flight to a major city like AZ. That would expand your options.

Comment

Originally posted by AWE46M3 View Post

This - CA dealers don’t give a shit about online prices. They are 30-50% higher than online prices consistently and don’t care. Moreover, most of them won’t order euro parts anymore.
                      They really don't bro, that's why I laughed when someone said have your local dealer price match 😂

Thankfully I still have a parts hookup myself.
                      2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by AWE46M3 View Post

When dealers get matrix-ed or grid pricing on parts over the counter and in service then why even bother?

So here's a lesson in dealership pricing:

You start off with dealer cost - its what BMWNA charges the dealership for the part.

Wholesale pricing - usually 10%-ish above dealer cost. If you look at Tischer BMW or getbmwparts.com - they are pretty close to this on almost all of the parts I've bought from them.

Warranty pricing - this is what BMWNA pays a dealership for warranty work - different from MSRP. Oddly sometimes BMWNA pays over MSRP for a warranty part.

MSRP - list price or the retail price that BMWNA lists the part for. Typically about 30% to 35% above dealer cost.

Matrix or Grid - This is what we typically pay. If you show up to the parts counter or take your car into service and pay out of pocket - they charge MSRP + a certain markup. It varies on how rape-ish the dealer is feeling. Some charge 10% to 20%. I've seen some parts guys try to charge 33%. This is pure profit - same as a market adjustment on a new car. Goes right into the dealership's pocket. The parts guy and if in service, service advisor, all make more money.

The same goes for service labor - dealers try and get matrix pricing. Service advisors, parts counter people...they all work on commission at almost every dealer. If its owned by a large corporation (Penske, Hendrick, AutoNation, Sonic)....they make commission. Suprise - service and parts are graded on gross profit. The more parts and hours they can get at the matrix or grid rate...it makes it that much easier to make gross profit targets.

Let's say a part is $1000 MSRP, cost is about $650 and the matrix pricing is $1250. The gross profit is $350 at MSRP. If you can get matrix pricing - its $600.That's almost a 100% gross profit at matrix vs 50% at MSRP.

The same goes for labor. 2 hrs would be $340 at MSRP, matrix would be $381 and add shop fees it was $440.

I'm sure in CA, matrix parts pricing is outrageous. Some dealer parts departments that are willing to put in the work will sell parts online or "out the back door" so they can increase the stock turnover which allows them to stock more parts and get parts faster from BMW's central hubs - so cars stay in service for less time and get more throughput in the shop. Nothing worse than a car stuck on a lift for a month waiting on a part.
                        Last edited by bigjae46; 10-17-2023, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the discussion everyone. In the end, I opted to just get my old beat up bumper repaired and painted. It was just scraped up so it should come out looking great.

For those who are in my situation in the future -- the cheapest price I found for a new OE bumper shipped to me in LA was at 415's suggestion of bmwpartswarehouse.com: total price of about ~$840 ($630 for the bumper and $210 shipping).

In general, though, the move seems to be to hope that you can find one of these online parts retailers whose actual dealership that they're based on is close enough to you that you can do a local pickup.
                          Last edited by ATB88; 10-17-2023, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ATB88 View Post
                            Thanks for the discussion everyone. In the end, I opted to just get my old beat up bumper repaired and painted. It was just scraped up so it should come out looking great.

For those who are in my situation in the future -- the cheapest price I found for a new bumper shipped to me in LA was at 415's suggestion of bmwpartswarehouse.com -- total price of about ~$840 ($630 for the bumper and $210 shipping).
                            Just don't mess up your hood. Have you seen those prices lately?

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

Just don't mess up your hood. Have you seen those prices lately?
                              Oh yeah. It was a suggested part at all of these online parts when browsing for bumpers. It ain't pretty.

Comment

Working...
                              X