Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blower motor options

What's up Forum?

I bought a Vemo replacement blower motor and I'm comparing it with my Behr original. It looks like I would be better off returning it and going with Genuine ($100 for the Vemo unit vs $260 for the Genuine). What do people think? Here are a couple of images showing what I mean. (Note: I am hesitant because removing the blower motor was much more difficult than I expected. ~ as the saying goes, do it right or do it twice)

Vemo:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4752.jpg Views:	0 Size:	76.5 KB ID:	237118

Original - shows more protection to the motor:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4753.jpg Views:	0 Size:	76.6 KB ID:	237119

Vemo - looks like it's missing a top cap:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4751.jpg Views:	0 Size:	88.5 KB ID:	237122

Original - with metal top cap protecting the internals:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4750.jpg Views:	0 Size:	110.8 KB ID:	237120
    Vemo (wire clamped and welds exposed)
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4755.jpg Views:	0 Size:	79.5 KB ID:	237121
    Original - automotive grade connector:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4754.jpg Views:	0 Size:	111.2 KB ID:	237124

So what do you guys think? Is the Vemo design cost-optimized to be cheap or was it improved to make it transfer heat better?

The original motor's bearing is seizing, the motor is squealing and smelling like burnt plastic. I am suspecting the design was altered to optimize heat exchange and by removing a connector that tended to be more of a fire hazard than something beneficial.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by E46m3zcp; 10-08-2023, 10:16 AM.

Originally posted by E46m3zcp View Post
    What's up Forum?

I bought a Vemo replacement blower motor and I'm comparing it with my Behr original. It looks like I would be better off returning it and going with Genuine ($100 for the Vemo unit vs $260 for the Genuine). What do people think? Here are a couple of images showing what I mean. (Note: I am hesitant because removing the blower motor was much more difficult than I expected. ~ as the saying goes, do it right or do it twice)

Vemo:
    Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_4752.jpg Views:	0 Size:	76.5 KB ID:	237118

1. Original - shows more protection to the motor:
    Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_4753.jpg Views:	0 Size:	76.6 KB ID:	237119

2. Vemo - looks like it's missing a top cap:
    Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_4751.jpg Views:	0 Size:	88.5 KB ID:	237122

Original - with metal top cap protecting the internals:
    Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_4750.jpg Views:	0 Size:	110.8 KB ID:	237120
    3. Vemo (wire clamped and welds exposed)
    Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_4755.jpg Views:	0 Size:	79.5 KB ID:	237121
    Original - automotive grade connector:
    Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_4754.jpg Views:	0 Size:	111.2 KB ID:	237124

So what do you guys think? Is the Vemo design cost-optimized to be cheap or was it improved to make it transfer heat better?

The original motor's bearing is seizing, the motor is squealing and smelling like burnt plastic. I am suspecting the design was altered to optimize heat exchange and by removing a connector that tended to be more of a fire hazard than something beneficial.
    None of the protective caps are important:
    1. Who cares if the brushes and commutator are not covered? Make sure there is cabin filter and don't drive on sand dune without one.
    2. It's just the wires cover. I mean it is a simple brushed DC motor and nothing fancy inside to protect.
    3. Soldered wires is better than connector, regardless automotive or spacecraft grade.
    I would try with Vemo unit.

Comment

I think the X3 blower motor also works.

Comment

I ended up going with the Vemo because of sapote's influence

BTW what a pain doing this job! It took a miracle to get that cover back in (without removing the intake). There are people on forums that are saying that this is an easy job. While there are more difficult jobs for sure, this is not a walk in the park.

I sincerely hope that the Vemo unit is good, and never to have to do this again

Comment

BTW what a pain doing this job! It took a miracle to get that cover back in (without removing the intake). There are people on forums that are saying that this is an easy job. While there are more difficult jobs for sure, this is not a walk in the park.

Just did the evaporator and removed the entire dash to do it. Removing the blower and reinstalling it was the worst part, mostly self inflicted however.

Comment

We all know those people

"Oh yeah man, dropping subframe, swapping clutch, 2 hour job. Super easy"
            /// 2004 SGM/IR - Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Epsilon View Post
              The X3 works great.

Comment

Originally posted by Epsilon View Post
                Do you have a PN for that?

OP I went with the BEHR unit and it was rubbing, had to adjust it and then its been ok ever since.

Comment

I bought a Vemo replacement blower motor .
                  Forgot to ask what's wrong with the stock blower? Not working could mean worn brushes and they should be easily replaced (easy for sure?) with any compatible brushes. I doubt the rotor or stator coils are burnt.

Comment

Originally posted by ugaexploder View Post

We all know those people

"Oh yeah man, dropping subframe, swapping clutch, 2 hour job. Super easy"
                    I know!!! Why??? Do these people inflate their egos by pretending they think it's easy? It puzzles me.

Originally posted by sapote View Post

Forgot to ask what's wrong with the stock blower? Not working could mean worn brushes and they should be easily replaced (easy for sure?) with any compatible brushes. I doubt the rotor or stator coils are burnt.

​Cricket chirps / squeaking sound. I guess it was the bearing? It is full of very fine grain black dust falling out of it. Looks like a powder. I wonder what it is, dirt? Charcoal from filters installed backwards?

The replacement motor has been working great so far! Time will tell if it's reliable...
                    Last edited by E46m3zcp; 10-25-2023, 03:43 PM.

Comment

​Cricket chirps / squeaking sound. I guess it was the bearing? It is full of very fine grain black dust falling out of it. Looks like a powder. I wonder what it is, dirt? Charcoal from filters installed backwards?

The replacement motor has been working great so far! Time will tell if it's reliable...​..
                      Probably dried bearings.
                      Carbon brushes do wear but I expect to see a lot powder collected in there. Pics of the powder?

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

Pics of the powder?
                        Here is the powder (I gave it a couple of taps over an envelope):

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4809.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.7 KB ID:	239580
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4810.jpg Views:	0 Size:	76.5 KB ID:	239581
                        Attached Files

Comment

I think the power is the collection of worn carbon brushes around the brush holders, which is normal.

Comment

Working...
                          X