Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did a PCA HPDE event and my arm got tired from point bys - need help going faster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is anything less than say 40 to 50 HP significant? Forced induction (and owning V8s) has probably skewed my perception.
    3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

I'd say losing weight and a better rear diff. A mechanical clutch LSD unit like a ZF.

You can keep up with faster cars depending on the layout of the track. This is determined by mostly the length of the straights and average speed. Longer straights afford a significant advantage to higher HP/heavier weight cars. The HP can overcome the aerodynamic drag.

For example, I get slaughtered by higher HP cars at COTA because the straights are so long. What happens is I can pull them on the first 1/4 mile out of the turn since I usually have a higher min speed and I'm on the gas sooner. Then 1/4 mile to a 1/2 mile it evens out. Then past about 1/2 mile they start reeling me in. As the straight continues, they reel me in exponentially faster.

I'd temper your expectations of passing everyone especially in advanced groups.

Here is a rear facing video. You can see the F80 stays about even on the front straight and then starts to reel me in about 1/2 down the straight. The key to driving an E46 M3 fast is typically getting on the gas early and aggressively. Which is why a rear diff makes such a huge difference.

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post
        Is anything less than say 40 to 50 HP significant? Forced induction (and owning V8s) has probably skewed my perception.
        33hp = 10% moar 🤪

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
        2012 LMB/Black 128i
        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

I was at cota at the end of September in my e36. It was my first PCA event in years, so they put me in intermediate for the first day. It was brutal. I was signicantly faster through the esses and turns 14-19, but getting left for dead on the two main straights. At that level, people either don't watch their mirrors, don't feel comfortable giving passes in turns, or are riding their ego. Made for a frustrating day. Luckily, I moved up to the lower ho advanced group for day 2 and had a blast.

The event does have me dreaming of more hp, but I'm trying to keep that urge in check. I love the handling of my e36, and especially love the low running costs.

Comment

I would reiterate what Estoril said on the third post and take it a bit farther. When you find a club you like at your local track or wherever you're going figure out who the fast instructors are and start asking for them. Not all fast instructors are good instructors so keep that in mind. But if there's a guy out there making an E30 or E36 keep up with cars that have double their hp, chances are they can help you get comfortable at the limit.

​​​I have a video in the tack section of this forum where I'm playing with another E46 M3 at Watkins Glen and we're passing EVERYONE. He's also a forum member on here and was actually the classroom instructor for the advanced run group. Find people like that at your track days and it will help you immensely

Comment

Working...
            X