Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did a PCA HPDE event and my arm got tired from point bys - need help going faster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTW if you don’t give them point-by, you will save tons of cash and still be in front of them!

Fuck I hate lapping days with point-by, I always avoided organisations who swear by them… I did one day with BMWCCA Qc region and I had enough.
    2002 BMW E46 M3 Titanium Silver/Black 6mt
    2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
    2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Comment

Driver mod
      Coilovers and a good alignment/damper setup
      Pull some free weight out of the car

Mainly driver mod though. I’m always super rusty after long breaks from the track, just go back as often as you can.

Also don’t keep changing stuff, unless something is really terrible. For example pick one tire and one brake pad, get consistent on those, and don’t keep switching things that make the car different if you’re still learning.
      http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
      '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
      '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. As I mentioned I 100% agree with focusing on myself as a driver, but I already have a plan for that (Garmin is included, amongst other things). I appreciate the reinforcement nonetheless from those who chimed in.

I also didn’t mean to imply that I wanted to match GT car performance, just to get a little faster. Honestly it wasn’t bad as I settled in with a 997.2 Carrera S, which made me pretty happy. But let’s face it we are on a forum where a lot of conversation is on car modifications, so was hoping to focus there.

Consensus seemed to be around suspension, seats, tires and weight. This makes sense to me (although interesting counterpoint on 100 TW tires). That gives me a good place to start. Just need to decide how far to go relative to my dual duty concept. I forgot to mention I’m already running Freakyparts E90/996 calipers, rotors and DTC-60 Hawk pads F/R with SRF fluid and cooling ducts, so brakes are set.

Question - any mods that you would recommend I stay away from from a track reliability standpoint? Example is forced induction (not that I was considering that) and the potential pitfalls with heat management. But what about a CSL airbox mod … do you have to worry about that on track (MAF conversion, heat under the hood, etc.)? Also is there an exhaust you say I should stay away from (I.e. euro headers vs aftermarket due to quality of welds and/or excess heat, or mufflers that don’t fill the cavity in front of the rear bumper?

BTW I’m surprised no one mentioned a carbon front strut tower brave from a nearby thread, good for at least 3 sec a lap?
        Last edited by Maxhouse97; 10-09-2023, 02:56 PM.
        ‘04 M3

Comment

Originally posted by Maxhouse97 View Post
          Thanks for the feedback. As I mentioned I 100% agree with focusing on myself as a driver, but I already have a plan for that (Garmin is included, amongst other things). I appreciate the reinforcement nonetheless from those who chimed in.

I also didn’t mean to imply that I wanted to match GT car performance, just to get a little faster. Honestly it wasn’t bad as I settled in with a 997.2 Carrera S, which made me pretty happy. But let’s face it we are on a forum where a lot of conversation is on car modifications, so was hoping to focus there.

Consensus seemed to be around suspension, seats, tires and weight. This makes sense to me (although interesting counterpoint on 100 TW tires). That gives me a good place to start. Just need to decide how far to go relative to my dual duty concept. I forgot to mention I’m already running Freakyparts E90/996 calipers, rotors and DTC-60 Hawk pads F/R with SRF fluid and cooling ducts, so brakes are set.

Question - any mods that you would recommend I stay away from from a track reliability standpoint? Example is forced induction (not that I was considering that) and the potential pitfalls with heat management. But what about a CSL airbox mod … do you have to worry about that on track (MAF conversion, heat under the hood, etc.)? Also is there an exhaust you say I should stay away from (I.e. euro headers vs aftermarket due to quality of welds and/or excess heat, or mufflers that don’t fill the cavity in front of the rear bumper?

BTW I’m surprised no one mentioned a carbon front strut tower brave from a nearby thread, good for at least 3 sec a lap?
          You did say 3-4k budget— brace not in range 😜

csl airbox doesn’t add any power of note, at least not before headers/cams.

If you want a mod in the 3-4k range, that could get you into a decent dual purpose street/track suspension setup. IMO the stock suspension setup doesn’t do particularly well with modern trackable tires, so that would likely make it meaningfully easier to work on that driver mod.

Preface I have noticed that many cars I see are set up in a way that's at least far from optimal, and often worse than stock. Issues include, but are not limited to... -wonky front/rear stagger -insufficient bump or droop travel -ride height in ranges that compromise suspension geometry -alignments that compromise handling

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
          2012 LMB/Black 128i
          2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
            csl airbox doesn’t add any power of note, at least not before headers/cams.
            Not sure I agree. My car picked up 16 whp with just the airbox and stock CSL tune. Jumped to 25 whp gain with an off the shelf PCS tune.

Ehhh, I haven't seen one started yet?, and I'm not the guy that's gonna do it...but we need another dyno thread! EDIT: Is everyone ok w/this being the official dyno thread moving forward? Ok, well, I guess that this will serve as the new Official Dyno Database-by default.:D All graphs are welcome, but plz try to include as
            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Just get nitrous 😂

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Not sure I agree. My car picked up 16 whp with just the airbox and stock CSL tune. Jumped to 25 whp gain with an off the shelf PCS tune.

https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...356#post126356
                Yeah, but your csl box/stock csl tune made about what stock healthy s54’s make— so seems likely something was up before.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Buy a GT3.

/Thread.
                  2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
                  2005 BMW ///M3
                  Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
                  2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
                  2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
                  2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post
                    Buy a GT3.

/Thread.
                    Lock this nutter up.

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Yeah, but your csl box/stock csl tune made about what stock healthy s54’s make— so seems likely something was up before.
                      Eh, I don't trust absolute dyno numbers, I'd rather look at the differences between runs Engine was fully refreshed and healthy according to compression/leakdown. Dyno runs were done close in time (order of weeks) with very few variables changing, including things like weather and time of day.

Power jumped another 20ish whp with headers, so I'm not saying that the engine doesn't benefit from other power mods, just that the airbox does add a decent chunk of power on its own.
                      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

I wouldn't try to make the E46 M3 as fast as those cars. Instead focus on making it enjoyable to drive and embrace the wonderful blend of a modern/analog experience.

Comment

Funny thing about track days in my area, the more experienced the run group, the "slower" the cars. Mainly the Miata factor. But now it's common to see spec e46 and CMC cars as well.

Pca events are kind of the exception as you will see plenty of advanced drivers in gt3/gt4, but pca here also splits the top groups based on car.

Comment

For the most bang for the buck on track I would say coilovers with proper alignment/cornerbalanced, euro headers and a tune.

That will get you gains where you want them shifting the entire torque curve upwards all the way to redline. Muffler and airbox are expensive with the former not doing much and very secondary to headers and tune.
                            2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Definitely seats and harnesses. I’d recommend Cobra Nogaros with Schroth QFP + sub strap. You’ll be able to feel what your car is doing much better, which makes a huge difference.

Also agree with not going to 100 TW tires immediately. I made that mistake, and I had many close calls due to having very little feedback (and low track experience) before I lost grip.
                              Silver Track to Street Car Journal
                              Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Eh, I don't trust absolute dyno numbers, I'd rather look at the differences between runs Engine was fully refreshed and healthy according to compression/leakdown. Dyno runs were done close in time (order of weeks) with very few variables changing, including things like weather and time of day.

Power jumped another 20ish whp with headers, so I'm not saying that the engine doesn't benefit from other power mods, just that the airbox does add a decent chunk of power on its own.
                                Eh, maybe.

Dynojets in SAE are pretty consistent, if the operator isn't deliberately messing with them. Rarely does a healthy stock S54 not put down 275-285 SAE rwhp.

Your car was an outlier (low) before, and exactly where I'd expect with CSL airbox/stock MAP tune. Could be something as simple as your MAF was no longer functioning correctly, so eliminating it resulted in a power bump.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                                2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Working...
                                X