For you guys with CAE or RTD or another direct mount shifter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For you guys with CAE or RTD or another direct mount shifter

What was your solution for heat, air, and sound coming up from the bottom of the shifter? I need to find a solution to that as im getting a lot of heat and air. Im not using the leather boot, im using a 3d printed shifter plate.

I have the RTD and same issue, but I'm planning to switch to an Autosolutions shifter. I have the V2 and the shifter lever gets super hot. A solution that comes to mind would be to possibly modify the original rubber boot and foam so that it works with the RTD shifter.

Comment

This won't come across as overly helpful... but if you're willing, I'm curious about your thoughts / overall impressions on RTD vs. Autosolutions or similar SSKs.

I steered clear of RTD because I wanted a more stock BMW aesthetic (and went with Autosolutions), but have been curious about the shifter feel.
      Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

I never got around to it but the rubber donut can be modified to fit around RTD shifters, along with a shift boot or trim plate over top. CAE shifters come with a block off plate and rubber ring that greatly reduce heat and road noise coming through the tunnel. Then you only need to modify the shift boot to fit or add a trim plate to clean up the interior install.
        2003 LSB/LSB 6MT Coupe | BUILDJOURNAL | CAE RACING | DMG AUTOSPORT | SUPERSPRINT | 996 BREMBO BBK | ENKEI | RAYS ENGINEERING | MOTORSPORT HARDWARE | AST | BIMMERWORLD | TURNER MOTORSPORT | REDISH MOTORSPORT | DR VANOS | BEISAN

Comment

I'd make a thin fiberglass plate and put silver foil tape on the underside. That should help out with the heat.

I have an AKG shifter...its been 100% trouble free so far. I like the simplicity.

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post
            This won't come across as overly helpful... but if you're willing, I'm curious about your thoughts / overall impressions on RTD vs. Autosolutions or similar SSKs.

I steered clear of RTD because I wanted a more stock BMW aesthetic (and went with Autosolutions), but have been curious about the shifter feel.
            I like the height, and at first it was nice I had to get use to finding the sweets spots in the shift. Over the years it's gotten a lot notchier and I'm hoping the Autosolutions will soft the problem.

Comment

I have the BimmerWorld solid mount shifter
              I don't have any issues really that I noticed temp wise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Had the RTD shifter for about 3 years before switching to autosolutions. I trimmed the OE rubber boot to fit around the bottom of the shifter which at least keeps air from flowing in and out there. Maybe was all aluminum and it would get hot/cold depending on weather.

I loved the solid feel but wanted something more relaxed and the AS shifter has been great for that.

Comment

I seem to recall the UK forum found out a NA MX-5 boot would fit. When I bought my CAE last year they supplied a boot that was a 100% fit.

Regards

Comment

I don't know what hardware other shifters come with, but my Coolerworx Pro has an option to come with what they call Direct Fit kit ( https://coolerworx.com/products/cool...36-e46-e8x-e9x). Outside of taking out some of the guesswork for drilling holes and aligning the shifter, it comes with a rubber boot, which you can see in first pic from under the car. I don't know if the spacing works with other shifters ala CAE/RTD/Bimmerworld/etc. From the top, I kept the carpeting and modified the foam insert and reusing the leather boot (second pic). Works well for me, YMMV.

Sent from my SM-S911U1 using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X