Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone replace HK amp with aftermarket DSP / amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by puma1824 View Post

Which DSP are you using? Do you have the 3 - way speakers in the front doors? Are all channels on the DSP?
    DM608. with two misc amps (not much power)

Currently running each door tweeters and mids on one channel, then each woofer on another, then each side rear on their own channel, and subs in another. I'm not running external cross-overs within any of those channels either. I don't think it's correct to let two speakers over-lap the same frequencies but it still sounds good enough for my taste.

Comment

Originally posted by L0okitzRaj View Post

DM608. with two misc amps (not much power)

Currently running each door tweeters and mids on one channel, then each woofer on another, then each side rear on their own channel, and subs in another. I'm not running external cross-overs within any of those channels either. I don't think it's correct to let two speakers over-lap the same frequencies but it still sounds good enough for my taste.
      Nice. I'm tempted to get a DM608. Looks like solid hardware. Have pics of how you have your dsp and amps installed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I want to redo the wiring once I buy a nice amp to take care of everything.

Comment

Can someone explain something to me? I haven't really done any car audio stuff since my teenage days of rolling around in a hatchback with dual 12 inch subs in the trunk and a massive amp. And that was a long time ago.

My M3 came with the 4:3 Navigation with the tape deck CD Changer in the trunk and HK audio.

I replaced the factory nav with an Xtrons IX7246BS system which has a DSP chip. I ran a wiring harness extension to the trunk and I'm pretty sure I'm using the stock amp still. It was plug and play.

The head unit has RCA outs which I'm not using.

The sound quality is a lot better than stock.

So stupid questions:

Short of upgrading the speakers, is this as good as it gets for me?

Is my HK amp' s DSP even being used or is it the head units DSP? Or both? The HiFi button in the dash still works the same.

If I ran the Rca cables to the trunk, would I get any improvement and do I need a converter to make it work with the factory HK amp?

Comment

Originally posted by Amos View Post
            So stupid questions:

Short of upgrading the speakers, is this as good as it gets for me?

Is my HK amp' s DSP even being used or is it the head units DSP? Or both? The HiFi button in the dash still works the same.

If I ran the Rca cables to the trunk, would I get any improvement and do I need a converter to make it work with the factory HK amp?
            So, (1) yeah that's probably as good as it gets short of upgrading the speakers, (2) the HK DSP is still working, probably with the XTrons (with which I have no experience), and (3) if you run RCA cables you will probably be worse off sound wise because (a) you will need another amp and to bypass the HK, and (b) the XTrons on its own will likely sound worse. Most likely the HK is saving you from the poor XTrons sound quality right now.

So long story, just upgrade the speakers. $.02

maw
            Last edited by maw1124; 11-26-2023, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X