AVIN Avant 4 vs. Dynavin D8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AVIN Avant 4 vs. Dynavin D8

I didn't find any thread directly comparing the two. These are the two units I see most often. I installed both and wanted to give my thoughts for others considering each.

I bought the AVIN unit first but returned it. I splurged a bit on the AVIN unit, and bought some of the extra stuff like the TPMS sensors etc, though it never worked. Steering wheel controls were intermittent. The install process was fine but there weren't any instructions. To be fair, the Dynavin barely had any instructions, but by this point I knew the removal process.

The AVIN harness has both types of pin connections pre-wired together, which makes the harness much bulkier than the Dynavin harness. When I first installed the AVIN, several functions (like CarPlay, of all things), weren't available in the interface. Customer support was very lackluster, though I did get a late-night reply while installing my unit. The instructions provided to fix the CarPlay issue were inaccurate, but I figured it out with the other information in the email (had to log into a secret menu and enable it myself). The sound quality is much worse compared to the Dynavin. GPS didn't work. The worst part of all is that Siri was about ten times louder than the other audio, and basically made it unusable.

The Dynavin install was simple and clean. The sound quality is leagues better than the AVIN, and I personally like the UI more. It feels less like an Android tablet and more like a head unit. There was a comment on this forum that called the Dynavin "Little Tikes" because of the chunky buttons, but I don't mind it. Most buttons on the AVIN are useless anyway.

The AVIN didn't put out enough power to charge my phone more than the battery drained, so it would remain at whatever percent it was when I plugged the phone in. Better than nothing but not ideal.

On the Dynavin, the screen dims much lower than the AVIN which makes night driving more enjoyable, and there's even a function to shut the screen off entirely while keeping the unit on.

The AVIN coded my car when I first started the unit, which I don't like. The coding app never worked on the unit either. Now, when I unlock my car, the driver's side lights turn on while the passenger's side lights stay off—very odd. I'll need to find how to code this out.

Lastly, returning the AVIN was an absolute nightmare. I asked for an RMA five separate times before I was given one; each time I asked, the support staff would dodge the question and try to convince me to keep the unit. I only received an RMA when I opened a dispute case with my credit card company. Also, there's a 20% restocking fee which I wasn't aware of before purchasing.

I'd recommend anyone considering the two just get the Dynavin and skip the headache. The price difference is worth it without question.

Happy to answer questions for anyone considering both.

Thanks for the comparison, I think this will be very helpful for those who are on the fence between the two.

I personally decided away from Avin because I noticed it was identical to a product you could buy off AliExpress. Not trying to get into any geo-political discussion but the Chinese still haven't figured out microelectronic manufacturing such as the Japanese and Taiwanese.

Even if you look in to what happened with Moore Threads poaching from Nvidia, they still can't release a working GPU. I know it has much to do with laser lithography and etc, but I will trust Japanese electronics until China can get it figured out like them or enslave Taiwan.
    /// 2004 SGM/IR - Build Thread

Comment

Just to add... had an Avin Avant 4 for about 3 years now. For whatever crazy reason, it would just stop powering on randomly for days or weeks at a time, and then it would turn on again and be fine for days or weeks. It would cycle between these two states completely at random.

Anyways, had the car down for a while and now it works flawlessly, turns on every time etc. Such a strange temporary issue. Maybe my battery was slowly dying or something.

I would recommend getting the headunit with the latest and greatest internal hardware. The newer the hardware, the better your experience in theory should be. If you don't understand how to compare different CPUs/chipsets it may get trickier.

For example, Dynavin doesnt tell you the Android OS version #, and only has a piddly 2GB of system RAM with a 4 core processor (probably a PX4), whereas Avin offers 4 different chipset choices including newer, much faster Qualcomm chips with up to 8GB of RAM and 8 cores.

I personally can't stand having weaker inferior hardware when more cutting edge processing power is only a few bucks more.
      Last edited by EthanolTurbo; 11-11-2023, 08:31 AM.
      Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Originally posted by EthanolTurbo View Post
        Just to add... had an Avin Avant 4 for about 3 years now. For whatever crazy reason, it would just stop powering on randomly for days or weeks at a time, and then it would turn on again and be fine for days or weeks. It would cycle between these two states completely at random.

Anyways, had the car down for a while and now it works flawlessly, turns on every time etc. Such a strange temporary issue. Maybe my battery was slowly dying or something.

I would recommend getting the headunit with the latest and greatest internal hardware. The newer the hardware, the better your experience in theory should be. If you don't understand how to compare different CPUs/chipsets it may get trickier.

For example, Dynavin doesnt tell you the Android OS version #, and only has a piddly 2GB of system RAM with a 4 core processor (probably a PX4), whereas Avin offers 4 different chipset choices including newer, much faster Qualcomm chips with up to 8GB of RAM and 8 cores.

I personally can't stand having weaker inferior hardware when more cutting edge processing power is only a few bucks more.
        I bought the highest end AVIN, and to be fair it is snappier than the Dynavin. The Dynavin has the tiniest big of lag when swiping across screens, etc., so I agree with your point. If the AVIN worked like it promised, I would've kept it.

Honestly it was Siri above all else that made me return it. what's the use of carplay if i can't tell siri where to take me.

Comment

Not sure about the D8 as I have the D7 Dinavin, but I've had some trouble with the Carplay connection with my D7 unit. The system lags after a certain amount of time and the audio would become static-y. I ended up changing the Carplay dongle and it helped (Contacted Dynavin and had to pay about $40 for the new dongle), but now I don't even use the Carplay feature on the D7 anymore and just use the bluetooth audio. Maybe one day, I'll upgrade to a D8 unit as I heard Carplay is native this time, but if anyone sees a D7 unit for sale, I suggest skipping it and just getting a newer unit.

Comment

Glad you gave this comparison. Sadly this forum has had too many Avin sponsored reviews so you get extremely bias posts. Dynavin D8 is a much better unit, especially for an audiophile. But Dynavin is more expensive and not everyone wants the best, cleanest sound and functionality.
            So I understand the lower priced cheaper made units fit that low end market spot.
            6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Originally posted by old///MFanatic View Post
              Glad you gave this comparison. Sadly this forum has had too many Avin sponsored reviews so you get extremely bias posts. Dynavin D8 is a much better unit, especially for an audiophile. But Dynavin is more expensive and not everyone wants the best, cleanest sound and functionality.
              So I understand the lower priced cheaper made units fit that low end market spot.
              You have a D8? Did you by any chance come from a D7? Just want to see if anyone has any comparisons between the two.

Comment

Originally posted by jpy1980 View Post

You have a D8? Did you by any chance come from a D7? Just want to see if anyone has any comparisons between the two.
                I’ve had both, very similar units obviously. The biggest difference I noticed was that the D8 screen has better resolution.

Comment

Originally posted by jrgatfh View Post

I’ve had both, very similar units obviously. The biggest difference I noticed was that the D8 screen has better resolution.
                  Got it! Do you use Carplay by any chance?

Comment

Got it! Do you use Carplay by any chance?
                    Yes I do. That’s where I noticed the better screen resolution the most.

Comment

Originally posted by jrgatfh View Post

Yes I do. That’s where I noticed the better screen resolution the most.
                      Got it. Is there any lag between the screen and the sound? Also do you ever have any connection issues? Do you use wireless or wired?

Comment

Got it. Is there any lag between the screen and the sound? Also do you ever have any connection issues? Do you use wireless or wired?
                        I haven’t noticed any lag. I’ve noticed you have to let wireless CarPlay connect before you plug in the charger otherwise it can get buggy. CarPlay only works wirelessly.

Comment

The D8 is only wireless now.
                          6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Thanks for all the info. Maybe I will upgrade to the D8.

Comment

Working...
                            X