SMG cog and hood switch question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SMG cog and hood switch question

I suspect my SMG pump got worn out because my hood switch sensor is bad and it runs the pump randomly while the car is parked.

Symptoms:
    - The alarm goes off randomly, confirmed with ISTA that it's bcoz of the "bonnet" sensor.
    - SMG cog light. Codes for undershooting pressure, and pump activation too long.

So while investigating, I had INPA read digital values from the SMG module and looked at "right" and "left" hood switch sensor values. They looked fine (ie reporting correct hood status - tested by opening and closing the hood and looking at the values), so I could be looking at an intermittent failure.

I always thought that the hood switch was that thing next to the "drug bin" that sticks out and is depressed by the hood. But toggling this thing manually with a finger doesn't change the digital values in the SMG module. So my question is: where are the hood switches really?

My current course of action is:
    - diagnose and fix hood switch problem
    - replace salmon relay
    - top off SMG fluid, bleed system
    - investigate possible leaks.

If none of this works then I'll be looking at spending big bucks on SMG stuff (rebuild, pump, accumulator)

Anything else?
    cheers!

EDITs:
    As I work my way on a diagnostic, I will add here any relevant information.

- Read hydraulic pressure while the car was running at idle. It slowly decreases (which I think is at a normal rate). It's losing about 1.5 bar every time I put the gar in gear/back to neutral (I don't know if that's expected, I guess it is otherwise we would have a perpetual motion machine!! lol... just thermodynamics). Once it drops past a threshold it quickly builds back up. No more cog light at the time of writing... but I expect it to come back as it did before.
    Last edited by E46m3zcp; 11-11-2023, 10:28 AM.

Hood switches are to the left and right of the hood latch by the kidney grills.

Comment

I'm trying to correlate both issues, which might be a fallacy.

But based on this post linked below, the drug-bin hood switch could explain both issues. The bonnet switches up front would be okay (as I was able to see in INPA), but the drug-bin switch is defective, causing the SMG ECU to never sleep and prime the pump, straining the relay and pump. According to my pressure readings, the SMG pump assembly itself seems to be ok (as far as I can tell), so I'm suspecting a bad relay.

Can someone confirm that the pump will prime whenever the drug-bin switch is open even with the car off?
      Hey all, I was doing some work in the garage the other day and noticed that my SMG pump started priming by itself without me unlocking the car/opening the door. I never thought anything of it, but it happened again a few days later. Yesterday I got in the car to go on a drive; however the battery seems to be dead because the

Comment

Originally posted by E46m3zcp View Post

But based on this post linked below, the drug-bin hood switch could explain both issues. The bonnet switches up front would be okay (as I was able to see in INPA), but the drug-bin switch is defective, causing the SMG ECU to never sleep and prime the pump, straining the relay and pump. According to my pressure readings, the SMG pump assembly itself seems to be ok (as far as I can tell), so I'm suspecting a bad relay.

Can someone confirm that the pump will prime whenever the drug-bin switch is open even with the car off?
        Hi There - It doesnt prime forever, it only primes if you open or close the hood. I just dont remember if its the smg hood latch switch that triggers the prime or the drug-bin switch that tiggers the prime. I would replace everything just to be safe, all the parts are reasonably cheap. The hood latchs are a pain to replace as you will need to bed the metal a bit its not that bad.

hope this helps!

Comment

Originally posted by E46m3zcp View Post

I don't think drug bin switch will prime the smg pump. Big it's an easy test. Leave the hood open for 20 mins to let SMG pressure drop. Then go over and press the switch. If pump primes then you have your answer.

Comment

Working...
          X