SMG Pump Priming Randomly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SMG Pump Priming Randomly

Hey all, I was doing some work in the garage the other day and noticed that my SMG pump started priming by itself without me unlocking the car/opening the door. I never thought anything of it, but it happened again a few days later. Yesterday I got in the car to go on a drive; however the battery seems to be dead because the car wouldn't start without a jump. I have it on a trickle charger at the moment, does the pump prime randomly if the battery is on its way out?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Deen HK; 07-21-2020, 10:11 AM.
    11 E90 M3 Alpine White
    96 FJ80 Black
    05 E46 M3 Carbon Black: (sold)
    86 Porsche 944 Turbo Guards Red, 320 whp: (sold)
    89 E30 Touring Alpine White, S52 swapped: (sold)
    02 E46 M3 Steel Grey: (sold)

The pump will prime randomly if you leave the key in the ignition. Just sitting there it shouldnt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Same thing happened to me when my battery was about to go out.
      17 iO1 i3
      16 F22 M235i
      08 E93 M3
      04 E46 M3 Carbon Schwarz - SMG II - Discovery Automotive tuned - AFE Stage 2 - SS Stepped - SS Metallic Cats - Eisenmann X-pipe - SS Race - 4.10 - ACS CF lip - 6000K Heads & Fogs - Tein S

Comment

Originally posted by Da Jemster View Post
        Same thing happened to me when my battery was about to go out.
        Do you know of a way to stop the pump from priming before I replace the battery? I’m concerned I might put extra stress on the pump
        11 E90 M3 Alpine White
        96 FJ80 Black
        05 E46 M3 Carbon Black: (sold)
        86 Porsche 944 Turbo Guards Red, 320 whp: (sold)
        89 E30 Touring Alpine White, S52 swapped: (sold)
        02 E46 M3 Steel Grey: (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Deen HK View Post

Do you know of a way to stop the pump from priming before I replace the battery? I’m concerned I might put extra stress on the pump
          Disconnect the battery.

Comment

easier: pull the salmon relay or the nearby fuse.

Comment

Hood switch for the factory alarm near the drug bin. Either it's bad or is not become depressed far enough down when there good closed and the car still thinks the hood is open keeping the car from going to deep sleep this causing the SMG pump to prime randomly.

Comment

Originally posted by nextelbuddy View Post
                Hood switch for the factory alarm near the drug bin. Either it's bad or is not become depressed far enough down when there good closed and the car still thinks the hood is open keeping the car from going to deep sleep this causing the SMG pump to prime randomly.
                I leave my hood open in the garage all the time and the SMG pump does not prime randomly.

The door latch switches, and trunk switch however could definitely cause this.

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post

I leave my hood open in the garage all the time and the SMG pump does not prime randomly.

The door latch switches, and trunk switch however could definitely cause this.

I had a 2006 M3 SMG and the battery would die every 1 to 2 days and I would always hear the SMG pump priming when I would go outside just randomly it would prime.. I open the hood I checked the hood switch by the drug bin And I added a rubber piece to the top of the little pin to make it taller so that when the hood closed it would push the switch all the way down and I never had the problem again So that's why I stated that that's possible scenario. Maybe it was coincidence or something but that's what happened to me.

Comment

I had a 2006 M3 SMG and the battery would die every 1 to 2 days and I would always hear the SMG pump priming when I would go outside just randomly it would prime.. I open the hood I checked the hood switch by the drug bin And I added a rubber piece to the top of the little pin to make it taller so that when the hood closed it would push the switch all the way down and I never had the problem again So that's why I stated that that's possible scenario. Maybe it was coincidence or something but that's what happened to me.
                    Interesting. So I just tested this in the garage. If you open the hood or close the hood, the SMG pump will in fact prime. But if you leave it open or closed it does not. So its the change in state (hood, door, trunk) that causes the pump to prime. I bet lock and unlock also does it.

Comment

I I open the hood I checked the hood switch by the drug bin And I added a rubber piece to the top of the little pin to make it taller so that when the hood closed it would push the switch all the way down and I never had the problem again .
                      If the SMG system uses the hood switch near the drug bin, then what are those 2 switches near the hood latches for? I believe it uses the two front hood switches only for the hood.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

If the SMG system uses the hood switch near the drug bin, then what are those 2 switches near the hood latches for? I believe it uses the two front hood switches only for the hood.
                        The two hood pin switches are also used but as an interlock. You can't go into gear with the hood up (or even popped).

Comment

SMG would not go into gear when the hood is open - for obvious reasons. So, there is definitely some sort of connection between the switch and SMG starting to prime.
                          BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
                          https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post

Interesting. So I just tested this in the garage. If you open the hood or close the hood, the SMG pump will in fact prime. But if you leave it open or closed it does not. So its the change in state (hood, door, trunk) that causes the pump to prime. I bet lock and unlock also does it.
                            This ^^ I also leave my hood open on the E46 and E93 when I get home. An old-school mechanic gave me that tip - Let the heat out of the engine bay. I didn't replace my belts and hoses until 110K (11 years) in the E46 (there were just a very few aging marks on the belt). The E93 has 113K and I haven't changed any yet.
                            17 iO1 i3
                            16 F22 M235i
                            08 E93 M3
                            04 E46 M3 Carbon Schwarz - SMG II - Discovery Automotive tuned - AFE Stage 2 - SS Stepped - SS Metallic Cats - Eisenmann X-pipe - SS Race - 4.10 - ACS CF lip - 6000K Heads & Fogs - Tein S

Comment

Originally posted by Da Jemster View Post

This ^^ I also leave my hood open on the E46 and E93 when I get home. An old-school mechanic gave me that tip - Let the heat out of the engine bay. I didn't replace my belts and hoses until 110K (11 years) in the E46 (there were just a very few aging marks on the belt). The E93 has 113K and I haven't changed any yet.
                              Thanks for confirming this works. I’ve started to do this in addition to running an external fan pointed at the bay. Hopefully this helps lifespan of the SMG pumps as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X