No announcement yet.

E46 M3 with a V10 On the Nürburgring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As much as I would love a S65/S85 swap into an E46 M3, I think I would only consider it in a dedicated track/race car. Too much compromised to makes it look/fit like it leave factory with it. Can’t even fit the cabin filter housing…And I wonder how heat would affect steering column if it has to go between 2 headers tubes.

But that sound and 500hp NA!!
    2001 BMW E46 M3 Laguna Seca / M-Texture 6mt
    2002 BMW E46 M3 Titanium Silver/Black 6mt
    2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
    2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
      On the steering, same here. Wouldn't a dry sump pan help with stay somewhat closer to the stock steering geometry?
      Originally posted by Altaran View Post
      I have heard that S85 swaps can work with stock headers and dry sump, but I have not seen it in person.

I know on S65 it's either custom steering or custom headers to make it work. Still, it makes no sense to do a S65 swap without dry sump imo.
      The engine sits so far in front you can look straight down on your tranny from the engine bay. So you are giving away the biggest advantage of swapping in a shorter engine - more rear weight bias.

Originally posted by Gt4 View Post
      As much as I would love a S65/S85 swap into an E46 M3, I think I would only consider it in a dedicated track/race car. Too much compromised to makes it look/fit like it leave factory with it. Can’t even fit the cabin filter housing…And I wonder how heat would affect steering column if it has to go between 2 headers tubes.
      IMO dry sump is for engine placement regardless of the steering shaft. You can get the engine pretty far back without a dry sump.

The steering shaft goes through header primaries so you can't use a stock header and a stock steering shaft even with a dry sump and a stock firewall that I can see.

Stock Microfilter housing fits on this one and it doesn't have a dry sump. The non-M3 hood is an issue with engine height before the microfilter is in this situation.

'00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
      Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
      Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Originally posted by George Hill View Post

IMO dry sump is for engine placement regardless of the steering shaft. You can get the engine pretty far back without a dry sump.

The steering shaft goes through header primaries so you can't use a stock header and a stock steering shaft even with a dry sump and a stock firewall that I can see.

Stock Microfilter housing fits on this one and it doesn't have a dry sump. The non-M3 hood is an issue with engine height before the microfilter is in this situation.

Nice, good to know! Wonder why Turner had to do some kind of custom cabin filter on their Turnicorn project? Maybe S65 and S85 fitment is different? Tought S85 would be even worst.

I would love to to S65 swap and keep stock steering shaft untouched! Would prefer to buy custom headers instead, get them coated, wrapped and whatever need to keep heat inside them!

What is the engine management in this Touring?
        Last edited by Gt4; 11-20-2023, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Is that Touring has AC compressor?

Comment

Nice, good to know! Wonder why Turner had to do some kind of custom cabin filter on their Turnicorn project? Maybe S65 and S85 fitment is different? Tought S85 would be even worst.

I would love to to S65 swap and keep stock steering shaft untouched! Would prefer to buy custom headers instead, get them coated, wrapped and whatever need to keep heat inside them!

What is the engine management in this Touring?

Lots of ways to skin a cat as they say.

Stock DME

Is that Touring has AC compressor?
            Yes, it has functional AC
            '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT

Comment

OH! Keep me in the loop if you ever do custom swap kit for either S65/S85 (headers, engine/tranny mounts brackets, …). I would love to do this swap into my LSB M3 so I could swap my E30 with my S54/6mt from my LSB!

The Touring has stock S85 DME or a standalone?

Comment

Lots of ways to skin a cat as they say.

Stock DME

stock S85 DME I assume?

Comment

Yes, MSS65 DME.

Comment

That was bananas, what a car, what a lap! I was also thinking about the amount of tire rub going on, but hey it's not going to be daily driven on the Ring I assume - Those M2 and M3 drivers he was passing must have been so confused hearing the V10 scream past them, I would love to see their in-car footage as well
                    - Jonathan

2004 M3 6MT Carbon Black OEM+ | Vortex Days

Comment

I found that swap and package to be ROUGH... well done but lots to clean-up.

Hell of a roller-coaster, though

Comment

Working...
                      X