Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back in an M3 after Six Year Hiatus

Hi All:
    Just got back into an e46 M3 after a a 6 year hiatus. I strayed away from this world to scratch the Porsche itch (read an incredible 2009 997.2 911 and a 2013 Cayenne Turbo). Still have both of the Porsches but I really missed the real BMWs…the e30, e36 and e46. Indeed, my past whips included a 1990 Delphin Blue e30 325i, a 1989 Alpine white e30 325i vert, a 2002 Gunmetal blue e46 330i, a 1995 325i Montreal Blue e36 vert, a 2004 330i Blue ZHP e46, a 1999 Imola Red E36 M3 Vert and my favorite …a 2004 Interlagos Blue ZCP e46 6 Sp Manual M3. Unfortunately, I had to sell the E36 M3 and my coveted ZCP M3 to afford the 911.
    I was a frequent contributor on M3 Forum, E46 Fanatics, ZHP Mafia and Bimmerfest Forums.
    So wifey and I were looking for an old Boxster for my son to drive next summer when he comes home from college. He needs a car for summer college baseball either in the Appalachian League down south (Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, North Carolina etc) or up in New England. Needed to be fairly reliable and something I knew how to wrench. So we looked at 100s of Boxsters and while my son and I really like that car it’s really just a bit small. So I started looking at my beloved e46es. I initially thought I would get him a nice 330 with the reliable M54 engine but I just kept getting pulled into the M3 rabbit hole. After much consternation, we bid on and won a beautiful 2003 Black on Imola Red M3, stock but with 18 inch BBS wheels, KW V1 Coilovers, Borla exhaust and 45,000 miles on the clock. The big three were not addressed. The subframe is good right now, I will do the Beisan refresh and eventually address the Rod Bearings. By the way, I also got the original 19 inch wheels in the sale which are in perfect condition.
    The S54 engine is just beautiful. So far I did an oil/filter change, cabin filter, air filter, fuel filter, accessory and ac belt, brakes all around, spark plugs, and replaced oil skid place cover. Yesterday I discovered a very small oil leak. I’m thinking either the valve cover gasket or the CPV valve gasket. The valve cover was just replaced in August by the previous owner so I’m going to do the CPV gasket first and see if that fixes it. If not onto the valve cover gasket. The leak is on back side of the passenger area of the valve cover. Also discovered a slightly torn front sway bar end link, so I will replace both fronts.
    The prior owner had the car slammed on the 18 inch BBS wheels and new 245/35/18 Michelin rear tires and 15mm ECS spacers. Weird rear tire size, right? Should be 255/40s. Well I’ve been struggling to get a better height due to a slight rubbing issue. I have the KWs adjusted almost to end to get it up in the air and am reducing the spacer size. I think we will drive it with the 18s until the tires wear out then go back to the 19s.
    Looking forward to posting maintenance progress and all the beautiful issues that come along with the e46 M3

Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.8 KB ID:	242516Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch.jpg Views:	0 Size:	6.0 KB ID:	242517
    Last edited by Echo46Z; 11-18-2023, 12:27 PM.

Congrats on getting back in one, looks like a really nice example of a vert. Time to blast some 2 chainz
    /// 2004 SGM/IR - Build Thread

Comment

Nah, I’m a Grateful Dead/Van Morrison type of guy.

Comment

Another place to check for the oil leak is the o-rings on the camshaft position sensors, Classifieds in this diagram.
        '04 LSB Coupe 6MT
        All my money goes towards maintenance.

Comment

I will check there too. If the o rings on the crankshaft position sensor was leaking would it show oil at the rear of the valve cover and dripping on the exhaust?

Comment

Originally posted by Echo46Z View Post
            I will check there too. If the o rings on the crankshaft position sensor was leaking would it show oil at the rear of the valve cover and dripping on the exhaust?
            No, the CPS is on the intake side below the starter.

Exhaust camshaft sensor could do that tho.

Comment

Ok, Thank you

Comment

If you had a IB ZCP, it was either a 2005 or 2006 but not a 2004.

Your oil leak is probably the valve cover gasket, even if replaced. Probably a Victor Reinz or Elring… Put OEM and you will be fine
                Last edited by Gt4; 11-19-2023, 01:37 PM.
                2001 BMW E46 M3 Laguna Seca / M-Texture 6mt
                2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
                2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Comment

You are correct sir, the IB ZCP was a 2005. Great catch. The crying shame about that car was that I sold it to a young guy with only 25,000 miles and he wrecked within a year. Mea Culpa. He sent me pictures and it hurt my eyes to look. I also think its the VCG but i am going to do the CPV gasket too since I have it.
                  Last edited by Echo46Z; 11-20-2023, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Congrats and welcome back!

Comment

Today did the valve cover gasket. Still chasing a small oil leak. Getting the classic valve cover gasket symptoms…leak from rear passenger side in area of valve cover gasket, oil smell when driving. The leak is up high right in the rear corner but also near the exhaust cam sensor. I’m going to button it up and hope it was the valve cover gasket. If not i will have to replace the exhaust cam sensor gasket. What does that entail? I disconnected the sensor today to see how it would come out but didn’t want to take it out yet till I have the gasket. Does it just pull out of the valve cover?…or is there a bolt holding it in?
                      Last edited by Echo46Z; 12-03-2023, 12:50 PM.

Comment

There is a bolt holding it in. It's a little tricky to get to but definitely not hard.

Also check your CPV.

Comment

Working...
                        X