Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VANOS test failed

Hello everyone,

I introduce myself here. I have a 2000 E46 M3 with manual transmission, carbonschwarz color and with 120K miles. It doesn't have a lot of modifications: ร–hlins, Brembo Performance + Porsche 996 and nothing else I think... .I had already rebuilt the vanos with new Beisan seals and oilpump 5 years ago (about 10k miles).

6 months ago I did the headgasket (completely checked and with new valve stem seals, valve seats,... Since then I have a problem with the VANOS, which is killing me: When I do the VANOS test, the test is aborted because when trying to advance the intake shaft, it does not move even one degree! nothing! (the DME has any fault code)

After this, I have tried to do and change a multitude of things (many out of desperation). There have been so many, that I don't know if I forgot something or this has been the order:

- Timing (super meticulous, with a new BMW timing tool, with all the advice that I read here from you,... I did the timing at least 6 times)
    - Check oil pressure (105-110 bar; ok)
    - New solenoid coil pack (BMW)
    - New seal repair kit (Beisan)
    - New S62 diaphragm springs (Beisan)
    - New intake & exhaust camshaft sensosrs (BMW)
    - New crankshaft position sensor (BMW)
    - Rebuilt Splines (Beisan)
    - New Hydraulic unit (BMW)
    - New chain with all the tensioner guides (BMW)
    - Check wiring (DME and solenoids)
    - I redid the head gasket, looking for any errors...

....and nothing... ๐Ÿ˜“๐Ÿ˜“ Maybe someone could tell me how I can check the DME? Any other idea what it could be??

Thank you very much in advance!!! ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Šโ€‹โ€‹

Worth having a look at getting new cam sensors?

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.wReckless View Post
      Worth having a look at getting new cam sensors?

Regards
      Hi,

thanks for your answer. Both camshaft sensors are new.... ๐Ÿ˜“

Comment

What device or software are you using to run the VANOS test? Can you run a complete test on another car?

Does the engine perform as it should since the DME is not throwing any error codes?

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
          What device or software are you using to run the VANOS test? Can you run a complete test on another car?

Does the engine perform as it should since the DME is not throwing any error codes?
          Iยดm using a Launch X431 and I can run the complete test on another car (on my car too, before I did the headgaste)

Anyway next weekend I'll try again with DIS and Tool32.

Comment

Originally posted by Vict0r View Post
            1. 6 months ago I did the headgasket (completely checked and with new valve stem seals, valve seats,... Since then I have a problem with the VANOS, which is killing me: When I do the VANOS test, the test is aborted because when trying to advance the intake shaft, it does not move even one degree! nothing! (the DME has any fault code)

2- New Hydraulic unit (BMW)โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹
            Problem happened only after removing the head -- which means removing the vanos hubs and electrical connectors. These are the two things I would focus on. How do you verify the vanos timing with engine off?

2. Hydraulic unit -- do you mean the VANOS accumulator can?
            Last edited by sapote; 11-27-2023, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

Problem happened only after removing the head -- which means removing the vanos hubs and electrical connectors. These are the two things I would focus on. How do you verify the vanos timing with engine off?

2. Hydraulic unit -- do you mean the VANOS accumulator can?
              Hello Sapote,

You're right, that's why in the end I redid the head gasket again (looking for some fault).

1) I checked the VANOS timing this last time with a chain tensioning tool, to avoid that the lack of oil pressure could change the timing.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	image_XXL-101851_1.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	243697

Name:	20231118_150619.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	243699
              โ€‹

2) Hydraulic unit I mean the vanos itself. I made first seals again, but in the end I replaced the whole VANOS (in case it was losing oil pressure inside):

Name:	20230928_160320.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	243698

Name:	20230928_160549.jpg
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	243700

and as you rightly say, I have changed things that make no sense, because they worked before and have only been disassembled and reassembled... ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ˜ฐ

Comment

Hello Sapote,

You're right, that's why in the end I redid the head gasket again (looking for some fault).

1) I checked the VANOS timing this last time with a chain tensioning tool, to avoid that the lack of oil pressure could change the timing.

Name:	image_XXL-101851_1.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	243697

Name:	20231118_150619.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	243699
                โ€‹

2) Hydraulic unit I mean the vanos itself. I made first seals again, but in the end I replaced the whole VANOS (in case it was losing oil pressure inside):

Name:	20230928_160320.jpg
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	243698

Name:	20230928_160549.jpg
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	243700

and as you rightly say, I have changed things that make no sense, because they worked before and have only been disassembled and reassembled... ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ˜ฐ
                Where did you source the new unit from?

Comment

Check the hub diaphragm springs and that they are not flipped, this would cause the unit to lock. n would also suggest to not use the S62 items and go back to S54.

Comment

Hello maupineda,

thanks for your answer.

I bought the vanos on ebay, but it was brand new and sealed:

3' E46, M3 CSL, Coupé, S54, EUR, (BL95). 3' E46, M3 CSL, Coupé, S54, EUR, (BL96). 3' E46, M3, Cabrio, S54, EUR, (BR91). Z4 E86, Z4 M3.2, Coupé, S54, EUR, (DU91). 3' E46, M3, Cabrio, S54, EUR, (BR92). Z3 E36, Z3 M, Coupé, S54, EUR, (CN91).

The first few times I assembled it with the S54 springs, and the last time I ordered the S62 ones. I will order bouth new off S54 again, but I'm afraid it won't be the solution...

Do you know how I could check if the DME output is sending the signal?

Comment

Hello maupineda,

thanks for your answer.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/195364907251...4AAOSwZCljLByV

The first few times I assembled it with the S54 springs, and the last time I ordered the S62 ones. I will order bouth new off S54 again, but I'm afraid it won't be the solution...

I don't know if you mentioned it, but how does the engine operate outside of the VANOS test? Any hesitations or does it pull smoothly to redline?

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

I don't know if you mentioned it, but how does the engine operate outside of the VANOS test? Any hesitations or does it pull smoothly to redline?
                        No, the engine does not run perfectly. And when it's hot, it's hard to start... So when it cools down, it starts again at the first time.

Comment

Hello Sapote,

1) I checked the VANOS timing this last time with a chain tensioning tool, to avoid that the lack of oil pressure could change the timing.โ€‹
                          Nothing is wrong with using new parts, but I think it's better to find the root cause and not blaming the old parts.

After setting the vanos timing, how do you verify the timing is correct?
                          Turning the crank CW multiple turns and set to TDC, then verify the cams holes are aligned with the bridge pin. But this alone is not enough as the vanos pistons must be touching the caps too during the timing check.
                          Last edited by sapote; 11-28-2023, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Hello maupineda,

thanks for your answer.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/195364907251...4AAOSwZCljLByV

The diaphragm spring is a set of two items, it has flat keyed plate, then the cup washer, S54 has letter "A", S62 has "B". I friend of mine had these flipped, first the cup washer (effectively spring), then the keyed plat, or something like that, and then trying to time the engine the cams would not move at all. so you can try that, before removing VANOS, use the 24mm wrench and try to rock the cams. Before this though, make sure you take the solenoid pack so oil can scape and cams will move. If they don't move, something mechanical is jamming the splines.

If you DO NOT have any codes, they I do not think you have an electronic issue. but first make sure timing is correct, and verify you can actually rock the cams. Another potential is inserting the splines incorrectly, one is shorter than the other. I do not remember which is which. While in there check the timing tensioner, and look for the obvious.

If you want to verify the DME is operational, use Tool32 and run the different APIs independently, there is a thread in the "coding" section here on how to test VANOS using INPA (On the E46 is not possible), but that thread documents how to run VANOS test routines one at a time using Tool32.
                            Last edited by maupineda; 11-28-2023, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

Nothing is wrong with using new parts, but I think it's better to find the root cause and not blaming the old parts.

After setting the vanos timing, how do you verify the timing is correct?
                              Turning the crank CW multiple turns and set to TDC, then verify the cams holes are aligned with the bridge pin. But this alone is not enough as the vanos pistons must be touching the caps too during the timing check.
                              You are right again, Sapote. I don't like changing parts without being sure, but I couldn't find any more logic for my problem...

I have done all the steps you say, but it is true that in the end I did not remove the covers to check if the pistons were in their most rearward position. I'll do this on the weekend!

Comment

Working...
                              X